Gear shift stuck in 3rd

/ Gear shift stuck in 3rd #11  
My 3016 shuttle had the same thing happen at about the same number of hours. I expect that the linkage needs to wear in. I do keep the linkage greased now as well.

On those little "dogs" that look like little squares, take a file and round off the corners a bit and grease the area. Won't happen again. This is a weak part of the design on the 3016 imo. Very Fred Flintstone type engineering. This is how it comes in at a "value price point"

/ Gear shift stuck in 3rd #12  
Anyone that owned an old Chevy or Ford.. three speed on the column... knows what being stuck between shifts was.... :) You had to crawl underneath and put the transmission in neutral so it would correspond with what the column lever thought it was doing.... LOTS OF FUN..!!! Had a GM 5 speed diesel truck do it once..

I'd go under the hood and lift both rods. They'd fall into the neutral position and shifting was back to normal. Never had to go under the car.

It was a real PITA at a traffic light.

/ Gear shift stuck in 3rd #13  
I'd go under the hood and lift both rods. They'd fall into the neutral position and shifting was back to normal. Never had to go under the car.

It was a real PITA at a traffic light.

Yup, now I remember..... just like I forgot to set the temperature on the oven tonight when I was going to pre-warm it. :)

/ Gear shift stuck in 3rd #14  
On those little "dogs" that look like little squares, take a file and round off the corners a bit and grease the area. Won't happen again. This is a weak part of the design on the 3016 imo. Very Fred Flintstone type engineering. This is how it comes in at a "value price point"

I know the older L series Kubota's use the same type of linkage, that is where we first learned the trick as we had one brought to our shop and the customer thought he needed the transmission replaced. I'm not sure if the new ones use the same style. I do like that it is external. Rarely do they hang up, and when they do it is an easy fix. I've never had one hang up personally, but we get a call or two a year so we know they do.

We have never tried the file and grease mod. Any downsides to this? You certainly would not want to file much I'd guess.

/ Gear shift stuck in 3rd #15  
Originally Posted by arrow View Post

my 3016 doesn't have that "weak part of the design". :) :)

/ Gear shift stuck in 3rd #16  
I know the older L series Kubota's use the same type of linkage, that is where we first learned the trick as we had one brought to our shop and the customer thought he needed the transmission replaced. I'm not sure if the new ones use the same style. I do like that it is external. Rarely do they hang up, and when they do it is an easy fix. I've never had one hang up personally, but we get a call or two a year so we know they do.

We have never tried the file and grease mod. Any downsides to this? You certainly would not want to file much I'd guess.

No. It is as light a touch as if you were trying to file down a sear to get a lighter trigger pull. Just a touch. Maybe one or two strokes

/ Gear shift stuck in 3rd #18  
No. It is as light a touch as if you were trying to file down a sear to get a lighter trigger pull. Just a touch. Maybe one or two strokes

Perfect explanation. I like the idea. Even a bit of sand paper on the edge would do that.

/ Gear shift stuck in 3rd #19  
Old post but this happened to me yesterday on my 3616 Mahindra . Fixed in 5 minutes . Took me longer to find this fix here than the repair . THANKS to Daves Tractor for posting the fix.