Gear shifter not funtional

/ Gear shifter not funtional #1  

SamH

Tractor
Branson SL15 3015R
I have a Branson SL15 3015R that the gear shift for 1,2,3&4 is totaly loose. All I have is whichever gear it was in when this happened. I still have forward and reverse with the other stick. Put in shop for repair, but it happened again. Any ideas on what to check ect. Is very much appreciated.

/ Gear shifter not funtional #2  
Looks like the shifter lever just popped out of the slot (#7 or #11) on the shift fork and it's stuck in whatever gear that was engaged at the time.

Should be a matter of taking the shifter cover (#1) out, slide all the slots (#7 and #11) to the middle with a screw driver as pry bar, this will put it in neutral. Then put the cover back in while putting the rod in the middle of the slots at the same time.

Pay special attention when assembling the shift cover as it is what holds the PTO brake in place, check the right picture I attached.

It's not an hard job but if you're not mechanically inclined at all, it might be a bit complex. It's possible to leave two gears engaged at the same time during the repair which can mess things up. If you don't feel comfortable with that, it's better to send it to the dealer or have the dealer or a mechanic come to fix it.

Branson 3015 shifter.jpg
Branson 3015 shifter 2.jpg

/ Gear shifter not funtional #3  
Try not to put to much pressure on the shift lever

/ Gear shifter not funtional #4  
Pull the shifter and look at the end. Did the roll pin break or come out that holds the ball on the end?

/ Gear shifter not funtional
Looks like the shifter lever just popped out of the slot (#7 or #11) on the shift fork and it's stuck in whatever gear that was engaged at the time.

Should be a matter of taking the shifter cover (#1) out, slide all the slots (#7 and #11) to the middle with a screw driver as pry bar, this will put it in neutral. Then put the cover back in while putting the rod in the middle of the slots at the same time.

Pay special attention when assembling the shift cover as it is what holds the PTO brake in place, check the right picture I attached.

It's not an hard job but if you're not mechanically inclined at all, it might be a bit complex. It's possible to leave two gears engaged at the same time during the repair which can mess things up. If you don't feel comfortable with that, it's better to send it to the dealer or have the dealer or a mechanic come to fix it.

View attachment 716543 View attachment 716544
Thank you for that information, I very much appreciate it. I wonder if this is a common problem with this particular tractor. I had it in the shop once already for this once before under warranty. The tech said he wondered if it might be a design flaw with this tractor. Thanks again!

Pull the shifter and look at the end. Did the roll pin break or come out that holds the ball on the end?
I will check that out. Thank you!

/ Gear shifter not funtional #8  
Thank you for that information, I very much appreciate it. I wonder if this is a common problem with this particular tractor. I had it in the shop once already for this once before under warranty. The tech said he wondered if it might be a design flaw with this tractor. Thanks again!
I have a very vague idea of reading somewhere that this could be a problem if shifting too hard, but I can't really remember any details of it, plus if that's indeed a problem, I expect it to affect the older units.

On the parts manual, there is three pages for this shifter section and I do saw another part going on the shifter on the second page that would prevent this issue, so Branson has most likely corrected that issue. They also corrected something to do with the spring on the shift itself, this is showed on the third page.