Gear vs chain driven tiller?

/ Gear vs chain driven tiller? #11  
I'm a chain drive guy just for all the reasons you gave, being able to replace the parts from a generic source rather than being hamstrung by a particular dealer vendor. See if you can rebuild what you got. bjr

/ Gear vs chain driven tiller? #12  
...being able to replace the parts from a generic source ...

I'd much rather break a chain than find my broken gear was a Chinese surplus tank engine timing gear from 1947, and they are all gone now. :)

Bruce

/ Gear vs chain driven tiller? #13  
I have a Sitrex tiller that is chain driven and it's a beast, plus it's quiet. I just keep it clean and I will change the lube in both the chain box and the gearbox every season, and keep the slip clutch properly adjusted. I guess I'd trust either type as long as it's good quality.

plus 1 on keeping slip clutch maintained and set!

never had a chance to use a gear driven tiller. all tillers i can remember were chain. and to be honest. all i can remember is having chains "jump off the sprockets", "chains breaking", difficulty finding master link on chains and then getting master link open and closed.

the problems were hitting rocks, a tree root, adding a little more weight to tiller to help it sink in further into harder compacted ground. all or some of this would put the tiller in a bind. and pop goes the chain.

also the sprockets, you need to keep an eye on to make sure they stay aligned. and if not, pop there goes the chain.

i would assume majorty of new tillers come with a slip clutch of some sort built into them or come with. but if it does not. get one. and make sure you have set it correctly.

to be honest. i think i would prefer a gear driven tiller. my only reasoning behind this is. all the gears are more likely to be held in place better, and more metal around them to hold everything nice and tight. the only down side is the bearings possibly wearing out quicker vs a chain driven tiller. at least to me.

/ Gear vs chain driven tiller? #14  
I'm in agreement with the chain guys, you can get a length of chain pretty much 6 days a week at any decent hardware or supply house. Try that with a gear.

/ Gear vs chain driven tiller? #15  
For anyone in an area that has cold weather I have found it more important to change the oil then the type of drive. something about moisture after a couple of years.

/ Gear vs chain driven tiller? #16  
I till rocky ground and have 10 seasons on the KK gear drive unit. Replaced tines last year and had a few bolts rattle out but that's all. And I abuse the heck out of it hitting rocks from fist size to fridge size with most being basketball size. It just keeps on going.

/ Gear vs chain driven tiller? #17  
I till rocky ground and have 10 seasons on the KK gear drive unit. Replaced tines last year and had a few bolts rattle out but that's all. And I abuse the heck out of it hitting rocks from fist size to fridge size with most being basketball size. It just keeps on going.

That's what I've heard from numerous sources, including posts here. Gear drives keep running and chain drives keep breaking. I suspect that those who like to spend their time repairing their equipment constantly will prefer chain drive tillers.:rolleyes:

/ Gear vs chain driven tiller? #18  
That's what I've heard from numerous sources, including posts here. Gear drives keep running and chain drives keep breaking. I suspect that those who like to spend their time repairing their equipment constantly will prefer chain drive tillers.:rolleyes:

That's not a fair statement. I have been using chain drive JD and Frontier 48 & 50 inch tillers for 19 years and have never had to fix or replace a chain. I've worn out and replaced tines but never broke one of those either.

/ Gear vs chain driven tiller? #19  
That's not a fair statement. I have been using chain drive JD and Frontier 48 & 50 inch tillers for 19 years and have never had to fix or replace a chain. I've worn out and replaced tines but never broke one of those either.

I have had several chain drive tillers without problems either. Chain drives and gear drives such as the King Kutter both work well. This isn't a problen with any good brands that I can think of.

When buying a tiller I would be more concerned about the overall construction quality, depth capacity of tiller, quality of the tines and ease of shoe adjustment. I am considering a small 48" King Kutter to use behind my mower for close quarters work, and am not concerned either way that it is a geared unit. It is quite a bit less cost than the Deere 647 and I think is good enough for my uses. The larger tillers do the brunt of the work for me.

/ Gear vs chain driven tiller? #20