Generac Standby Generator Owners?

/ Generac Standby Generator Owners?
Decide if you need the cold weather package.

If you are running propane, you might need an extra tank to get enough vaporization to supply the unit in extreme cold. That was what my dealer told me.

BTW, my estimate was around $8-9k installed so I decided to go cheap. Bought a dual fuel Champion 7500 watt unit ($850), my propane supplier will run the line ($300) and a contractor will install a transfer switch that feeds to the mains. It will not be "automatic" but simple and affordable. I am going to build a small shed to house it, as well as a spare 5000 watt Generac gas unit that I have used for 20 years. The shed will have doors that can be left open and powered ventilation. Cost for the shed will be about $300. Total cost should come in at less than $2.5k

I really wanted a whole house automatic standby. Install and operating costs were more than I could justify. I do not need continous power during an outage and normally operate for an hour every 4-6 hours. And I did not get a warm fuzzy feeling from the local supplier.

Good luck with your install.

I've wondered about the propane tank, it's 500gal. The only propane usage I would have would be for my furnace emergency heat if my geothermal decides to go. When I initially kicked around this idea a few years back, neither to propane supplier or the Generac dealer seemed concerned.

/ Generac Standby Generator Owners? #32  
Our electrician went with Gentron inside stuff for our Isuzu diesel generator from Maine (a real gem diesel). We went with a whole new 200 amp Gentron panel with 4 or 6 little electronic boxes to monitor 4 or 6 breakers to determine whether the generator has enough space to let them come on. Works great. Have one water heater and clothes drier on a couple of those. Has been in service since about January of 2013.

Ralph

/ Generac Standby Generator Owners? #33  
And what is so hard about that? :confused2: Anyone with some mechanical experience can do job!

Sure, but your messing with the warranty

/ Generac Standby Generator Owners? #34  
Sure, but your messing with the warranty
Actually your not. Any homeowner can adjust the valves and not affect warranty...unless they mess it up and wreck the unit. Generac actually specs valve clearance in the owners manual. The only issue is if its done incorrectly you can wreck the generator. Personally if i have never adjusted a valve before i certainly would not want to experiment with a $5,000 generator. I include valve adjustment free with the first years inspection and oil filter and oil change for my new customers....just so they dont either neglect it or do it themselves.

its as pretty simple procedure.....but im sure glad that Generac's new generators are going to start using Hydraulic valves. Their 13 and 16KW units already have them. I hear they are product testing 22kw units with them now...hope thats not just rumors. I personally get tired of adjusting them

Actually your not. Any homeowner can adjust the valves and not affect warranty...unless they mess it up and wreck the unit. Generac actually specs valve clearance in the owners manual. The only issue is if its done incorrectly you can wreck the generator. Personally if i have never adjusted a valve before i certainly would not want to experiment with a $5,000 generator. I include valve adjustment free with the first years inspection and oil filter and oil change for my new customers....just so they dont either neglect it or do it themselves.

its as pretty simple procedure.....but im sure glad that Generac's new generators are going to start using Hydraulic valves. Their 13 and 16KW units already have them. I hear they are product testing 22kw units with them now...hope thats not just rumors. I personally get tired of adjusting them

Good to know!

What are your thoughts on propane tanks, as mentioned above? I'm not confident that my local dealer knows a lot about it...

/ Generac Standby Generator Owners? #36  
Not sure how cold and damp you get, but I ran my old generator on a 500 gal above ground tank for 19 years. The new generator went in with a 1,000 gal buried tank. I never have had any gas issues ...ever. And I’m in north idaho. Just got 8 inches of snow today

We get fairly cold and wet here in Northern Ohio but I can't imagine it's nearly as bad as Northern Idaho. I'm going to call the propane company to come out and see if the line is big enough and pick their brain on the tank size. I "rent" the tank, so it doesn't matter to me. I have a 500 gal at the moment, above ground.

My dealer emailed back and stated they are not doing any winter installs until Spring....what the heck.

Guess I'll go to the next one on the list!

/ Generac Standby Generator Owners? #39  
My dealer emailed back and stated they are not doing any winter installs until Spring....what the heck.

Guess I'll go to the next one on the list!
Im not doing any installs till spring either. I lose too much time and money fighting the weather to make it worth while. Ive had people call me in December wanting to install a generator ...after i gave them a bid in May. Why should i suffer working outside in 10F weather putting in the unit because they waited until winter.

Mind you, i have never heard anyone complain when i tell them it will have to wait until spring. they usually understand. I now have 4 units scheduled for spring installation.

Im not doing any installs till spring either. I lose too much time and money fighting the weather to make it worth while. Ive had people call me in December wanting to install a generator ...after i gave them a bid in May. Why should i suffer working outside in 10F weather putting in the unit because they waited until winter.

Mind you, i have never heard anyone complain when i tell them it will have to wait until spring. they usually understand. I now have 4 units scheduled for spring installation.

I'm used to contractors working year round. Especially with our above normal "winter" so far. Many weeks in the 50's. Not much below 30. Really no snow to speak of. Then to be told "we're pretty backed up for the Spring already"....I guess I would take work when I can.