generac standby generator

/ generac standby generator #11  
Well thats why i was looking at Onan was i thought ALL there motors were 1800 rpm (old school onan)

but i guess thats not the case today?

But no im intrested in an 1800 rpm Onan. and dont mind having to convert an older gas version to LP.

<edit> well silly me, after a bit more investigating seems that version i posted a link has nothing to do with cummings or Onan (dispite the fact its plastered all over the front of it). it in fact is run by a 25 HP GX 670 Honda Engine, so much for that being an option <edit>

/ generac standby generator #12  
Our local firehouse has a Generac auto generator. They must think it's an O.K. unit. I have heard them run and they aren't that quiet but then they are only used for backup power. They are quieter than most portable generators I've seen and definetly quieter than mine. I needed a new welder and a larger generator (I had a 5KW that wouldn't run the house with A/C on) so I gave away the old sears buzz box and sold the 5KW and bought a combination welder / generator. It's a Miller Bobcat 250NT, 20HP, 10KW. I run the generator into a 50A breaker in the garage circ. brkr. panel when I need to power the house. It is not automatic. During power failures I fire up the generator, plug in the whip, throw the main power disconnect, and then turn on the generator breaker in the panel. It runs my whole house. Got about 65 hours on it of which 25 were used as to run the house.

/ generac standby generator #13  
After researching standby generators for our home. I decided to go with a B&S unit with a 200 amp transfer switch. http://www.homegeneratorsystems.com/
I was able to get it from a local dealer for the same price as Internet. Also found that most of the places did not have the Generac or B&S in stock. Went with the B&S because they have a 2 year warranty.

/ generac standby generator #14  
One more consideration for a gasoline generator, the life of fuel. If you have infrequent outages, the gas that is in the tank will lose its effectiveness over time. This can be extended using a fuel stabilizer, but eventually it will go bad. One way to minimize problems is to "exercise" the genset by running it for 15-20 minutes every week or two. You will slowly rotate the fuel with new gas as well as keep the battery charged.

paul

/ generac standby generator #15  
I was told by my ONAN rep (18 months ago) that the 1800 rpm diesel units are bullet proof and are no longer available in CA due to new CA EPA rules.

I maintain a 125 KW cummins powered stand-by generator that has been flawless except for 2 block heater element replacements over 10 years.

Several years ago I received a letter from the Bay Area Air Quality Management District giving me 30 days to provide emission data for newly adopted license requirements.

Cummins was flooded by request from CA owners for emission data at the time. The license runs several hundred dollars per year and because it was a "Grandfathered" installation they allow me to operate it no more then 25 hours per years for maintenance, testing and compliance. I am allowed to run it during a power outage provided I keep proof of the outage, i.e., permanent log book along with Power Company outage reports or newspaper outage documentation.

All of the above rules only apply to "Stationary" generators... I would look into a trailer mounted unit if I had to do it all over...

My understanding is the plan is to eventually go nationwide? Has anyone else run into this?

/ generac standby generator
InlineDieselFan said:
generac,

Is certainly not a Honda, Onan/Cummins, type generator, but if it is for emergency power outages. Who cares about the noise?

Have the power and keep the house warm/cool.

for the money Generac seems hard to beat, we have some at work and they work just fine but a bit noisier than the other brands.

steve
Well I don't care about the noise but I'm concerned about my neighbors. How loud are the Generacs. My portable seems to be louder the further away you are. I have one neighbor who is about 150 feet away. If its as loud as a mower that won't be bad but if it sounds like a harley I might be worried.

/ generac standby generator #17  
HVAC,
You have lots of good suggestions here, but I have on question for you...What is your budget?

/ generac standby generator
I would like to get it as cheap as possible but I am figuring $3500-4000 range. I would like to power my whole house. The only real draw would be the 3 ton a/c and blower. The well pump would only cycle occasionaly. I figure 10 kw should be plenty.

/ generac standby generator #19  
hvac1 said:
I would like to get it as cheap as possible but I am figuring $3500-4000 range. I would like to power my whole house. The only real draw would be the 3 ton a/c and blower. The well pump would only cycle occasionaly. I figure 10 kw should be plenty.

Check out this unit. Good solid engine, diesel and should be more than enough power: http://www.centralmainediesel.com/order/ES12000D.asp?page=ES12000D

paul

/ generac standby generator #20  
I have the Generac 15KW aircooled unit. Runs on propane and exercises itself once a week. It's been installed for just over two years and has worked fine with no problems.

I bought mine through the www.electricgeneratorstore.com

Yes, it's aircooled and not as quiet as a 1800 RPM or liquid cooled unit. But it's not too noisy over the sound of the airconditioner and TV. :D