Sickle Bar General questions about Sickle Bars

/ General questions about Sickle Bars #41  
thanks...previously I think you stated that (at least some) belt drives will cut in the vertical position...do all "belt drive MF bars cut in the vertical position?...its possible this owner may not be aware ??

thanks again...

I don't know of a beltdrive/dynabalance mower that won't cut in the 90 degree vertical. Ken Sweet

/ General questions about Sickle Bars
I finally got a chance to go look at the sickle bar mower mentioned in the OP...

after looking at it and after what I have seen and read (here) I thought $300 was a good deal...so I bought it... attached are some (lame) pictures...I did not expect to be getting "like new" piece of equipment for what I paid but I think I did OK...
... the MF tag was intact but I could not read a model # (see pic)...it must have been printed on the tag but the serial # is legible.. 238 048905

[Question for Ken Sweet]...what are my chances of getting a manual for this mower? anything close?

I will take better pictures of *all* the adjustment points that are on the mower...as previously stated...I'm totally ignorant on the operation of this piece of equipment...also it is the first attachment that uses PTO power so I will also have some questions on that aspect as well...
sorry for the poor pics...

Attachments

• DSC00050.JPG
    DSC00050.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 106
  • MVC-002F.JPG
    MVC-002F.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC00049.JPG
    DSC00049.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 121
Has anyone got any (experienced) suggestions on the best way to add a hydraulic cylinder for managing the bar ?...what size (bore/stroke) will I be needing ?

/ General questions about Sickle Bars #44  
Has anyone got any (experienced) suggestions on the best way to add a hydraulic cylinder for managing the bar ?...what size (bore/stroke) will I be needing ?

Congratulations on the purchase, you did good if the head runs out ok. Pine, the cast iron drive head will be the 31 and the welded head will be the 41 series. I really can't tell from the pictures. From what I can see in the pic. looks like a cast head. Let me know?
I have not figured a way to add hydraulics that will let the mower retain its full range of movement (70 degrees below horizontal and 90 degrees above. There are a few recent posts
showing ways to add the cylinder to raise to transport. Ken Sweet

It's hard to see there is shield welded on top...later this morning I will clean it up some and take some better pictures...are there manuals available for these ?

/ General questions about Sickle Bars #46  
I did a quick search and found both on Ebay. Here is the link: Ken Sweet

great thanks...normally e-bay is the first place I look..but for some reason it did not dawn on me...thanks again for the link...

now all I have to do is determine which one I have...will post some better pics this afternoon...

I'm going to need at least one set of bearings for the pulley side of the head...I hope they are readily available?...

When I was checking out the mower (there was no tractor available) I spun the belt to make sure the bar functioned ok...today when I lowered the bar and spun the belt I noticed some lateral movement in the pulley...

I pulled the bar off and realized there is obviously a tore up bearing...I can see part of the ring and race...I need to get a bigger wheel puller before I can actually see what is needed...

Ken, can you tell from the pictures if this is a welded or cast head...I'm not sure what part I'm supposed to be looking at ?

in the last picture the broken parts of the bearing can be seen...

Attachments

• MVC-001F.JPG
    MVC-001F.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 108
  • MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 98
  • MVC-006F.JPG
    MVC-006F.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 100
   / General questions about Sickle Bars #49  
I'm going to need at least one set of bearings for the pulley side of the head...I hope they are readily available?...

When I was checking out the mower (there was no tractor available) I spun the belt to make sure the bar functioned ok...today when I lowered the bar and spun the belt I noticed some lateral movement in the pulley...

I pulled the bar off and realized there is obviously a tore up bearing...I can see part of the ring and race...I need to get a bigger wheel puller before I can actually see what is needed...

Ken, can you tell from the pictures if this is a welded or cast head...I'm not sure what part I'm supposed to be looking at ?

in the last picture the broken parts of the bearing can be seen...

It is the later model #41 series. Lets hope the previous owner did not run it very long in that condition. That crankshaft is easy to score and too expensive too replace, MF will have all your needed parts. Ken Sweet