Tiller General tiller opinions, questions

/ General tiller opinions, questions #1  

jmt1271

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
I have a borrowed 4' tiller of unknown manufacture. I will be returning it soon and am looking to replace it with a 5' model of my own. I would prefer to buy used, but will go new if I have to. Are there any general opinions on which models are really good values? I have seen and used the King Kutter brand and they seem to be decent units. However they are $1100ish new. I would like to spend half that. Anyone know where I may find some nice used units?(I have checked our classifieds with no luck.

/ General tiller opinions, questions #2  
I can't help you out as to where to find one, but I paid $500 for a 60" Agric last summer from my cousin. That is basically what the used tractor and new/used attachment dealer offered him on trade in. It is a little rusty, but works fine. It is a little big for my tractor, but I go slow and it does fine - no pun intended.:D I tilled the garden the other night. It was good to get some seat time. If I were buying new, I wouldn't have bought a 60, probably a 48 or 54, but I couldn't pass this deal up as my wife wouldn't let me spend any more than that for a small garden when I already have access 2 walk-behind tillers (an old front tine and an 8 HP rear-tine TroyBilt - both are Dads).

/ General tiller opinions, questions #3  
First off I'm no tiller expert, but I do have a 60" KK II gear driven tiller, that I use behind a 30HP cut. I'm happy with the tiller and they seem to get good marks here. I paid about $1250 for mine 3 summers ago from TSC.
I never see used tillers for sale around here, they seem to go to fast, to a friend or family member. I bet I could sell mine real fast at $850 if I was so inclined.
happy hunting in your search.

/ General tiller opinions, questions #4  
jwstewar said:
I can't help you out as to where to find one, but I paid $500 for a 60" Agric last summer from my cousin. That is basically what the used tractor and new/used attachment dealer offered him on trade in. It is a little rusty, but works fine. It is a little big for my tractor, but I go slow and it does fine - no pun intended.:D I tilled the garden the other night. It was good to get some seat time. If I were buying new, I wouldn't have bought a 60, probably a 48 or 54, but I couldn't pass this deal up as my wife wouldn't let me spend any more than that for a small garden when I already have access 2 walk-behind tillers (an old front tine and an 8 HP rear-tine TroyBilt - both are Dads).

A friend of mine just bought the 5 ft tiller you speak of. He paid $1100 at TSC. Looks to be a sold well built tiller, if not having all the bells and whistles of the major brands. Funny thing is a 6 footer is $20 cheaper. Clarksville TN price.

/ General tiller opinions, questions #5  
It does seem that used tillers are few and far between. I guess the folks who buy them, keep them.:D Of course, I had a Bush Hog brand and liked it very well. A cousin still has his Bush Hog. However, in reading the posts on TBN, I don't recall anyone having any brand that he was unhappy with. Several years ago, a friend bought a tiller at an auction for $250. It looked a bit rough, the only wording we could find on it was in Japanese (at least we guessed that was what language we were looking at), and someone thought it might be a Yanmar. Whatever it was, it worked well enough to be well worth what he paid for it.

/ General tiller opinions, questions #6  
Most of the used tillers I've seen are flat worn out. That's about the only reason why someone would get rid of one. When a good used one comes on the market, they don't last long even near new retail price. Deals are scarce.

That said, King Kutter tillers are a deal. They're on the low end of the price range, yet they perform (and last) like the high end brands.

/ General tiller opinions, questions #7  
If you really want to get a good tiller you could consider Howard. Many say Howard makes the world's best tillers. The Howard Rotavator is top-of-the-line. You could get the HR300S-150M 60" tiller for a mere $4,628.00!!!:eek:

I am looking for a tiller as well. I would like to get about 90" though with my tractor. I suppose I could get a smaller one that could be offset. Kuhn also makes excellent tillers. I would LOVE to have the 90" Kuhn EL 92-230. Of course, I'd probably have to sell a vital organ to pay the $8,457.00 price tag!!:eek: You could consider the Kuhn EL 62-155 60" tiller for $4,070.00.

Tillers ain't cheap. But you can get good tillers from brands other than what I mentioned above for much less money. I was just giving an example. But for the amount of money you're wanting to spend you're obligated to go used. You're probably going to have to be really, really patient and check local dealers for trade-ins, farm & estate auctions, classifieds, and ebay. Good luck!

Last edited:
   / General tiller opinions, questions #8  
All I can tell you is that where I live good used tillers are harder to find than hens teeth. I keep on looking at my chickens and have yet to find a tooth. So I bought a 6' KK from TSC. This is my second year and so far so good. I can't ever imagine wearing it out just tilling my garden. It does an amazing job.
I used to use a tiller behind my old Cub Cadet lawn tractor. That tiller did wear out. The tines wore out and I replaced them and then the oil seals and then the chain. It took about 2 hours to till the garden. I still have it and it's repairable but decided a bigger and better made unit was better for my needs.

/ General tiller opinions, questions #9  
Glowplug said:
If you really want to get a good tiller you could consider Howard. Many say Howard makes the world's best tillers. The Howard Rotavator is top-of-the-line. You could get the HR300S-150M 60" tiller for a mere $4,628.00!!!:eek:

I am looking for a tiller as well. I would like to get about 90" though with my tractor. I suppose I could get a smaller one that could be offset. Kuhn also makes excellent tillers. I would LOVE to have the 90" Kuhn EL 92-230. Of course, I'd probably have to sell a vital organ to pay the $8,457.00 price tag!!:eek: You could consider the Kuhn EL 62-155 60" tiller for $4,070.00.

Tillers ain't cheap. But you can get good tillers from brands other than what I mentioned above for much less money. I was just giving an example. But for the amount of money you're wanting to spend you're obligated to go used. You're probably going to have to be really, really patient and check local dealers for trade-ins, farm & estate auctions, classifieds, and ebay. Good luck!

The Kuhn EL-92-230 is a light weight compared to the CCM SR240. The CCM SR240 is only $2900. 140 HP Gearbox, 1650 Lbs, 90" Gear drive
CCM240-side.jpg

/ General tiller opinions, questions #10  
jmt1271:

I agree with Farmwithjunk. I have never seen a decent PTO driven tiller advertised in my area. There have been many, many expressed opinions (includining my own) about gear driven, chain driven, forward rotating, and reverse rotation tillers here on TBN. Due to my heavy clay and rocky NE soil I reasonned that a gear driven forward rotation tiller would best meet my perceived needs. For me due to availability it came down to KingKutter II and Carter & Carter. The KK tillers appeared to be well constructed and cheaper in price, but I finally went with a CCM M-160 (58"). The "finish" of the CCM is much better. I have no real complaints with my tiller and I want to let everyone know that I am in no way affiliated with CCM nor do I benefit from the numerous CCM "plugs" I have provided on TBN. Jay