Generator advice for welder

/ Generator advice for welder #31  
Eddie, when I bought my generator in 1999, I called the Lincoln tech line and asked if it would successfully run my Lincoln SP-175 Plus Mig welder. The generator I was planning to get was the Northern Tools 5000/4500 watt NorthStar generator (about $1K back then, don't know about now). It has one 240 VAC/20 amp plug plus two 120 VAC/ 20 amp plugs.

The Lincoln tech said it would run it just fine. The single time I used the welder with my generator, he was exactly right: it worked fine.

Hence, I would call the welder tech line for your welder and ask them what size generator you need to run it.

Good luck.

/ Generator advice for welder #32  
This is my personal (not official) recommendation. If you have an inverter, it is clean enough to run it. If you have a transformer, it will work as well. 9000kw. Good power.
As far as a dirty or modified square wave form generator, your transformer type welder may not care as much, but garbage in = garbage out to some extent in regards to performance and quality. Can screw with your an already pitiful duty cycle of a small transformer mig/stick machine as well from what I understand.

/ Generator advice for welder
   / Generator advice for welder #34  
Got regular email from ebay, Looks like its on sale for $699...

/ Generator advice for welder #36  
I'd snap one up, just what I want (10,000 propane) and they are close enough to drive over.

But they won't sell me one ... not for sale in California (even though the seller is in California).

/ Generator advice for welder #37  
I'd snap one up, just what I want (10,000 propane) and they are close enough to drive over.

But they won't sell me one ... not for sale in California (even though the seller is in California).

Got a friend in a neighboring state?

/ Generator advice for welder #39  

Yet another benefit to living in the Peoples Rebuplik of the Californicated.