Generator backfeeding into utility lines

/ Generator backfeeding into utility lines #121  
Cool concept, but when I looked into it a while back, it was nearly as expensive as putting in a dedicated transfer switch...

Cost me ~$620 for the Generlink IIRC. There were no installation changes and no inspection required.
The utility installed it but its my equipment, so when I move I take it with me.

when you install a transfer switch you can take it with you if you wish to pay to have it removed
and the house rewired back to its original w/o the xfer switch. With the Generlink I just call the
utility and have them remove it no charge, and I take it with me to the next location so no money
lost and no additional expense.

/ Generator backfeeding into utility lines #122  
I have 400 amp service. This will not work for me. Good idea otherwise. One problem I have heard is that it will not connect to the generator if the utility is working. There is no way to test your connection. I may be wrong about this.

With mine it will not reconnect to the mains as long as the generator is running.

not sure what you want to test, the generlink has diagnostic LEDs on it that monitor its condition and the connection status.

I can 'test' it any time I want by connectiong the generator and firing it up, the house will be switched automatically over to the generator by the Generlink, and it will stay on the generator until I turn it off or disconnect the power cord from the generator.

/ Generator backfeeding into utility lines #123  
With mine it will not reconnect to the mains as long as the generator is running.

not sure what you want to test, the generlink has diagnostic LEDs on it that monitor its condition and the connection status.

I can 'test' it any time I want by connectiong the generator and firing it up, the house will be switched automatically over to the generator by the Generlink, and it will stay on the generator until I turn it off or disconnect the power cord from the generator.

Ok. I was wrong and glad to hear it. How do you know when the grid power returns?