generator horse power requirements

/ generator horse power requirements #11  
Switching power supplies (without a transformer) care less what the shape of the power is. Transformers have to have a symmetrical shape of the power otherwise they heat up might burn. Most TVs, computers and home electronics in general use switching power supplies.

/ generator horse power requirements #12  
i think i'd get one of those gearboxes that steps up 540 to 3600.. like many pto gensets use.... forget belts.. YUCK! then you can actually get reliable 7k power generation...

soundguy

/ generator horse power requirements #13  
Switching power supplies (without a transformer) care less what the shape of the power is. Transformers have to have a symmetrical shape of the power otherwise they heat up might burn. Most TVs, computers and home electronics in general use switching power supplies.

older ferro ressonant supplies suffer the worst from non sine wave. however square and stepped can still be pretty usefull.. ie inverter power.

genny power will be sine.. though freq could drift.. etc..

soundguy

/ generator horse power requirements #14  
Make sure to check the generator shaft. Some of these types of generators use a special tapered shaft that is close to impossible to adapt to. I considered a similar project and found that purchasing a new motor or entire generator was more cost effective. My plan was to use the mid-pto and mount it to the front of the tractor.

/ generator horse power requirements #15  
Also, check to be sure the generator head has a support bearing on both ends. Many generators that are coupled directly to a gas engine use the engine crankshaft to support one end of the rotating parts of the generator.

/ generator horse power requirements #16  
that's why I'm not a fan of belt coupled gen head contraptions due to the side loading...

soundguy

/ generator horse power requirements
Generator only has the single bearing but adding an additional just took half a day with his lathe/mill.
David from jax

/ generator horse power requirements #18  
FWIW...

I have been looking at generator heads, they come in all ranges of KW output(these are meant to be hard wired)...they can be used with gas, deisel or other power sources...almost all of them are rated at 1800 RPM...FWIW...

reference: search e-bay for "Generator Head"