Generator problem

/ Generator problem #1  

300UGUY

Tractor
Kubota L3400, Farmall H
I have a Generac 15KW generator, it's been reliable for about 10 years. I shut it off while we are sleeping, simply to save a couple of bucks. This am, I tried to start it, and it would run itself for a few seconds, and then shut off. I checked the propane tank, so I had fuel. I checked the system fuse, it's ok. The oil is good. I finally got it going by turning all the breakers in the transfer switch off, letting the generator get started, then turning the breakers back on. Everything seems to be running ok, but the experience worries me, I am looking at 5 or 6 days of no power here, and temperatures in the low single digits. Any idea what happened?

/ Generator problem #2  
best I remember , You should start the generator then, add the load,. Not start the generator under load.......Check the manual for the generator

/ Generator problem #3  
Yep. Start it. Let it come up to speed, then put the load on it.

/ Generator problem #4  
Maybe you had a lot of loads trying to come on together that a cold engine couldn't pick up the needed hp to service. The gen. could shut itself down if it doesn't reach the correct output within so much time as a self-preservation safety measure?

/ Generator problem #5  
Also remember: Motor loads draw up to around 6x times their (normal / full load) running amperage when they are first started, so start your biggest motor loads first, so that the generator has the capacity to handle this momentary inrush current. Then bring your other load on line.

This can be a problem when a motor load cycles on and off. Example: Say a 2000W generator starts a 300W water pump first, then 1200W of additional load is turned on. All is fine and running at 1500W. Then 300W pump turns off (Great total load is is down to 1200W!) Now 300W water pumps tries to turn back on: Nope doesn't happen, generator trips off or shuts down. [Granted actual conditions depend on a lot of other variables, like the govorner response of generator, the "flywheel mass" of the generator, fuel type of generator (engine torque/ response curve), where in the 60 hz sine wave did the pump switch actually close? etc....)

/ Generator problem #6  
We had a few very cold mornings (+5F) around here (I'm in Brighton). You had propane (by weight), but did you have enough pressure to supply the needed fuel volume? I see (as of right now) the dteenergy.com/outage map shows an area north of Howell and a few splotches south are still out and won't be up until tomorrow night. Would heating the tank help? This same issue is also a problem for me when we need a steak and its very,very cold outside.

/ Generator problem #7  
my opinion is since you manually shut off the genset while it was running, you messed up its normal start pattern. Normally a generac unit will start the generator without any load, then swap over the load after its warmed up for 30-60 seconds.

Since you shut it off WHILE it was powering up house panel, the switch is STILL in the transfer mode. The generator is trying to start entire house on a cold unit.

To overcome this, you can open the automatic transfer switch and use the manual transfer key to reset the switch to utility power AFTER you shut off the generator. Then the generator will automatically reset this switch to generator load after you re-start it.

That being said, your generator is working 100% properly. no worries.

/ Generator problem #8  
I have a Generac 15KW generator, it's been reliable for about 10 years. I shut it off while we are sleeping, simply to save a couple of bucks. This am, I tried to start it, and it would run itself for a few seconds, and then shut off. I checked the propane tank, so I had fuel. I checked the system fuse, it's ok. The oil is good. I finally got it going by turning all the breakers in the transfer switch off, letting the generator get started, then turning the breakers back on. Everything seems to be running ok, but the experience worries me, I am looking at 5 or 6 days of no power here, and temperatures in the low single digits. Any idea what happened?

Howdy,
Any generator needs time at the start and the end.

no-load start, warm, add load

end
take load off system, let engine cool down with no-load, shut down.