Generator to power electronics?

/ Generator to power electronics? #11  
I would try and avoid having electronics on line during start up and shut down if at all possible.

I also would be concerned about when a big load started or stopped.

This comes down to how good the voltage regulation is on the generator. Guessing beter generators have better ones. You could ask manufacturer of generator, or better yet of a laptop. Could probaby google this too.

You could charge an old car battery or tractor, and charge with that. I have probably ran my computer off a jobsite that was powered by generator, but not for long periods.

/ Generator to power electronics? #12  
I would try and avoid having electronics on line during start up and shut down if at all possible.

Always good practice.

The first small gen I bought recommended running it totally unloaded for 2 minutes before connecting the loads, and after removing the load before shutdown, continuing to run it unloaded for 2 minutes again. Easy enough to do, so that's what I've followed with all gens I've run since, unless they recommend longer times.

Rgds, D.

/ Generator to power electronics? #13  
We expect to be doing some demos this summer and many of these sites will be outdoors with no AC power. I'd like to use our Honda generator to power a notebook computer, 23" monitor & Dye Sub printer. I believe the power output of this generator would be sufficient (?) to run the equiipment, but wondering if there's something we might want to do between the generator and the electronics by way of protection? Perhaps a power surge device of some kind or is there something more suitable for this kind of application?

If really nervous . There are those 1:1 isolation transformers rated at 120V and 1500VA. Add 25mfd of oil filled run capacitor on the generator side and good to go.

/ Generator to power electronics? #14  
Most of the time, if you have an external power supply, you should be fine if you let the generator get up and running before plugging anything in.

/ Generator to power electronics? #15  
You will want to run the electronics off of a UPS such as the APC BR1500G Back-UPS*Pro which offers AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulation) to help handle spikes and drops in the generator power.

Aaron Z

I agree. A UPS between the generator and the electronics is the way to go.

/ Generator to power electronics? #16  
While the Honda generators are some of the cleanest waveform wise, and quietest audio wise, a good UPS in between will do no harm and be useful while refueling also. Your laptop might draw 65 watts, sure isn't going to load down even a 1000 watt honda. Add up all the loads watts and you will get an idea of load vs time. Here is a good one that I have on my Television and audio equipment.

Amazon.com: APC BR1G Back-UPS Pro 8-outlet Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS): Electronics

/ Generator to power electronics? #17  
We use laptops and projectors on honda generators, not a problem.

/ Generator to power electronics? #18  
We use laptops and projectors on honda generators, not a problem.

Yep, they are a first choice or a lot of Amateur radio operators as well, and those electronics are often a lot more expensive than what most people might put on them .:)