generator wiring problem

/ generator wiring problem #1  

Aussiebushman

Gold Member
Jerrong, south of Oberon in NSW, Australia
Tractor
Ford 6000
Hi all

Can anyone explain why it seems impossible to get power from the generator head taken from a Homelight unit. It worked fine until the engine died so I assume the head is OK

I rebuilt a 4-stroke Mitsubishi engine and mated it to the Homelight generator head with a tension spring and a couple of hose clamps as a flexible coupling. Had to cut the conrod and remove the piston and cylinder from the old engine to allow the original bearings and feet to be used. All this sounds a bit rough but it works mechanically - turns smoothly.

The problem is the wiring. I removed the 12V DC gear completely. I need 240 volts (Australia) so:

There are four wires (other than the condenser) exiting the generator head.

These are in pairs (confirmed with an ohm meter)

Labelled one pair with continuity a and b
Labelled the other with continuity c and d

Connected b to c and wired b to the active and c to the neutral of the power socket, Connected the earth socket to the frame.

This did not work so I disconected b and c and reversed connections connecting b to d, then wired a and c to active and neutral of the power socket respectively. Still no power.

I'm just a bush electrician and not overly bright. What am I doing wrong?

Alan

/ generator wiring problem #3  
You might try a web site called sparks and arcs, excelent group of guys sharing a wealth of knowledge,:thumbsup: google for more imfo, Eric

/ generator wiring problem #4  
Since you removed the 12v circuit, you are going to have to manually excite the windings (flash the field) every time. You can do this with a handheld drill motor. Plug it in to the 110v rceptacle and give the chuck a good hard turn by hand. This will work with all generators that lose their field flash.

RE-ENERGIZING DEAD GENERATORS

This is assuming that you have it wired properly already.

/ generator wiring problem
Since you removed the 12v circuit, you are going to have to manually excite the windings (flash the field) every time.

I have connected the two 110V wires (brown) in series, then taken one of the 2 red wires to each pin of the 240V power socket. Have also repaired the dodgy (green) wires to the capacitor but am not getting any current so probably you are right that the excitation is absent.

It may be best to reinstate the 12V wiring as I still have all of the parts but can't now remember the wiring arrangement.

Thanks - any more suggestions welcome

Alan

/ generator wiring problem
It may be best to reinstate the 12V wiring as I still have all of the parts

I have now fixed the unit. Your suggestion that the brown wires were DC was the answer. I still had the old 12V wiring unit so reconnected it, The the two brown wires from the generator connected to the EC+ and JP- connectons that in turn went via a switch to the DC socket. The 2 X red wires went to the active and neutral pins of the 240V AC socket. (This unit never was 110V, only 240V)

Part of the problem that caused the failure in the first place (before I took the wiring apart) was likely broken wires, especially to the capacitor. All wiring has now been soldered, as well as crimped (like I always do for the boat). Everything is now working fine.

Thanks again.

Alan