Generators Diesel vs PTO

/ Generators Diesel vs PTO #21  
Save yourself headaches and buy a purpose built standby generator. If is a protable unit it will be handy to use around the place on other projects.
If you use a dedicated fixed unit - say in a shed or leanto, it will be instantly available. Either way you still have the tractor to help deal with the heavy snowfall clearing etc.

In my case, the place I purchased has a heat pump for heating and A/C. Without standby power this expensive heating system would be useless and I would need to use the propane backup furnace. The previous owner had a dedicated generator installed in a shed some 30ft from the house. It is a 12kW unit and gives the house 100 amp service. It also has a professionally installed change over switch - that is required by law here.

When the standby unit is run (Kubota diesel) the electrical mains is disconnected and the house power is then switched to generator incoming power via the change over isolating switch. This is legally required to safeguard any person working on the downed electrical lines.

We get two or three days of outages a year up here in central northern BC. In the five years I have owned this place I have racked up 103 hours - and that includes test runs every month or six weeks, some on house load and some unloaded as well as having being run for extended periods during blackouts. I have also done the required manitenance and oil changes.

For what it is worth, I would foget the PTO generator and go with the dedicated standby unit.

Cheers

Jim

/ Generators Diesel vs PTO #23  
I had an ETQ gas engine water pump that was a good bargain and did what I wanted it to do. It was meant to be disposable, and when I was done with it, I gave it to my brother. If I wanted something reliable that I could depend on, I wouldn't buy ETQ.

While I agree with those who say you wont hurt your tractor running a PTO generator, I wonder what you will do if you want to use your tractor while depending on the generator to supply power?

I have a small gas generator that I lived off of for five days last year when my power was out from a snow storm. It was good enough to give me a light, a space heater and power my computer. It was loud and sucked up the fuel. Overall, it was a real pain, but better then not having anything.

This year I'm going to tune it up and hope that I don't have to use it. I also bought a wood stove so I can stay nice and warm, regardless of having elecitity or not.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Generators Diesel vs PTO #24  
There is a P.T.O. Generator that mounts on the 3pt that looks very good to Me. That will most likely be My next Generator. The one I have runs on Gas. I have plenty of Fuel for My Diesel Tractor. And it is safer to store than Gas.

/ Generators Diesel vs PTO #25  
I have a 20KW PTO Generator with a 40KW surge and I just finished getting all set for the winter so if we have an Ice Storm in my part of Ga. I am ready to power our house again..I disagree with those that advocate a seperate generator, it is another engine to maintain...even if you need your tractor to move snow or clear debris..you can easily disconnect for a few hours after warming the house, flusing toilets etc. and get done that you need to do...it does not hurt your tractor to sit there and run with 540 PTO rpm for hours on end as long as you do your normal maintenance..Just one guy's opinion.

/ Generators Diesel vs PTO #26  
I agree.. pto gensets are about the cheapest KW you can buy.. and as most should know.. you don't have to tie up your tractor 24/7 running the gen. running it a few hours at a time in an EMERGENCY power outtage situation should be all that's needed to sustain life and conserve fuel in case of shortages that can last a while . in 04/05 in florida, power was off in some places for over 2 weeks. gas was hard to find and diesel even harder. running gennies 24/7 was frowned upon unless running life support equipment.. simply not enough fuel...

soundguy

/ Generators Diesel vs PTO #27  
Over 4000 hours on a Perkins 2 cylinder diesel running at 3600 r.p.m.'s , only repair was seal on flywheel due to oil breather plugging up .

Diesel's wont last long running at that r.p.m. , Yea Right .:thumbsup:

Fred H.

/ Generators Diesel vs PTO #28  
Hey List,

I'm looking for a backup generator for my house .. we typically loose power a few days a year due to snow ... but one never knows what the future will hold.
I'm leaning toward a 3600rpm portable Diesel motor generator .. can get one (Looking at ETQ 6000 model) for about $1100.00 ... vs a PTO driven unit for the tractor ... Can get one at this site for about $500.00 plus shipping.
Do any of you's guys have any experience with the ETQ brand .. I don't think it would last forever... but for only a few days a year I would hope I could get 10 years out of it?
I'd go with the portable Diesel motor generator because it would help me to met the min gallons required for free Home Delivery of off Road Fuel.

/ Generators Diesel vs PTO
Holly COW....

You guys make it impossible to make an impulsive decision!! :cool:

I'm going to go with a portable Diesel unit ... I like the idea of not having to store a bunch of gasoline around. I'm going to have to check into home delivery of Diesel that would really be cool... 100 gallons would last me years!! ... do they make diesel chainsaws??? <hehehe>

Now the search for an inexpensive unit.. From what I can see.. there seems to be a bunch of re-named versions of the same unit's at various prices...

These look to the exact same ... China made units ... different color / stickers:
Sportsman at Sears

ETQ at Home Depot

DuroStar / Max?

These are only 3 examples of what I've seen over and over .. My thoughts are they are all the exact same unit, probably made in the same factory in China, and shipped here and given a sticker and name brand... With that in mind.. short of going with a $5000.00 Perkins unit (Or Lister Diesel.. which the EPA seems to have killed) I think a prudent move would be to find the LEAST expensive (aka: Cheeeeeppppeesssttt) unit and prepare for some wrenchin?

Any thoughts on this logic?

/ Generators Diesel vs PTO #30  
be carefull looking at storing that fuel long term.

you will need a water trap / drain off device.. and a biocide at very least..

soundguy