Generic wheel motors

/ Generic wheel motors
It sounds like you have this in hand!

Welding slag like material is an odd one. I wonder it got there. Perhaps it could have been an inclusion in a pump or motor casting that broke free? Hopefully it was a one and done.

FWIW: There are bidirectional filters, for things like motor circuits, but when I looked into them, I decided that they were pricey, bulky, and made a hit on performance by the work needed to move oil through the filter.

All the best,

Peter
If it was slag, it was from when it was manufactured. Remaining welding splatter inside the tank is why I lean this way. I am the original owner of this machine. If my assessment is correct, it is pretty impressive the original pump made it ~ 2800 Hrs. Now have a magnet on the filter to try and capture metal.

Did not know they made such a thing as a bidirectional filter. That is good to know.

I own 5 Power Tracs. 422, 2422, 425, 2425, and 1430. I currently have 16 of these wheel motors in use, hence my thoughts on cost benefit.

The 425 is the only machine I bought new and is the one that eats wheel motors. I use this machine the most and as a result it has the highest priority on the maintenance schedule. The other 4 machines (ranging from 1999-2016) were bought used (3 commercial, 1 homeowner). From what I saw, only the 2425 had been maintained to the same level I have maintained my 425 since new. For the other machines, routine maintenance seems to have been taken as a suggestion. Rusted hydraulic filter, engine fire due to grass clipping build up, broken/welded wheel motor shaft from trying to move T barricades for a highway project, etc. As best I can tell, the used machines are still sporting mostly original wheel motors. The 425 seems to be a bit of a unicorn.

I appreciate the help

/ Generic wheel motors
On this machine I am currently running the older/smaller wheel motors (White CE 400230W3122AAAAA ) Power Trac has upgraded to a bigger wheel motor. If I have to order five wheel motors to get a bulk discount, may as well replace them all.

Does anyone know the model number for the newer/larger wheel motors used on the new PT 425? Do they fit in the old style motor mounts or do I need to replace these too?

/ Generic wheel motors #13  
If it was slag, it was from when it was manufactured. Remaining welding splatter inside the tank is why I lean this way. I am the original owner of this machine. If my assessment is correct, it is pretty impressive the original pump made it ~ 2800 Hrs. Now have a magnet on the filter to try and capture metal.

Did not know they made such a thing as a bidirectional filter. That is good to know.

I own 5 Power Tracs. 422, 2422, 425, 2425, and 1430. I currently have 16 of these wheel motors in use, hence my thoughts on cost benefit.

The 425 is the only machine I bought new and is the one that eats wheel motors. I use this machine the most and as a result it has the highest priority on the maintenance schedule. The other 4 machines (ranging from 1999-2016) were bought used (3 commercial, 1 homeowner). From what I saw, only the 2425 had been maintained to the same level I have maintained my 425 since new. For the other machines, routine maintenance seems to have been taken as a suggestion. Rusted hydraulic filter, engine fire due to grass clipping build up, broken/welded wheel motor shaft from trying to move T barricades for a highway project, etc. As best I can tell, the used machines are still sporting mostly original wheel motors. The 425 seems to be a bit of a unicorn.

I appreciate the help
For welding slag from the tank to get to the motor circuit, it would have to pass through the suction filter, then the charge pump on the variable volume main drive (tram) pump and out to just that one wheel motor. It's not impossible, but I would have expected more collateral damage. If the tram pump dropped a chunk, I could see that possibly going to one wheel motor, but generally, it takes out all four, from what I hear.

If it is the seals going on the main axles, it could just be wear. I think seal failure is more tied to dirt/debris/water on the axle, and to a lesser extent, number of rotations, and load. I know for sure that my axle seal areas aren't clean, because on my 1445, I have to pull the wheels to get the last bit of gunk out of there. I haven't found a way that reliably gets them clean. The way I pressure wash the tractor, I don't seem to be able to get the last few bits of dry clay or twigs out of there. That is for sure a "YMMV" item.

I think given the number of PT 425s you have a set of replacements isn't such a bad idea. I would think about putting four new ones in your 425 with the newer pump, and using the good others as spares, or send them back to PT to be rebuilt. (BTW: Where are you located?)

All the best,

Peter

/ Generic wheel motors
For welding slag from the tank to get to the motor circuit, it would have to pass through the suction filter, then the charge pump on the variable volume main drive (tram) pump and out to just that one wheel motor. It's not impossible, but I would have expected more collateral damage. If the tram pump dropped a chunk, I could see that possibly going to one wheel motor, but generally, it takes out all four, from what I hear.

If it is the seals going on the main axles, it could just be wear. I think seal failure is more tied to dirt/debris/water on the axle, and to a lesser extent, number of rotations, and load. I know for sure that my axle seal areas aren't clean, because on my 1445, I have to pull the wheels to get the last bit of gunk out of there. I haven't found a way that reliably gets them clean. The way I pressure wash the tractor, I don't seem to be able to get the last few bits of dry clay or twigs out of there. That is for sure a "YMMV" item.

I think given the number of PT 425s you have a set of replacements isn't such a bad idea. I would think about putting four new ones in your 425 with the newer pump, and using the good others as spares, or send them back to PT to be rebuilt. (BTW: Where are you located?)

All the best,

Peter
Thank you for walking me thru the oil flow path. Clearest explanation I have heard.

Between rebuilds and new wheel motors I am somewhere over 12 wheel motor replacements. All 4 wheel motors on this machine have been replaced at least once. The front right gives out the most. Back right second most, back left third most. Front left has only been replaced once. They more or less go in sequence. This is closest thing to a pattern I have noticed. Just lost the front right for the second time. If the pattern holds as before, I expect to lose this one another time or two before the back right gives out. I do wonder if I missed something when I flushed the lines and it is somehow slowly floating around in the lines. This pattern also follows the pressure differences in the system from highest to lowest. The machine is currently at a hydraulic shop. They are testing pressures. I wouldn't think I would have the same problem from two separate pumps, but who knows.

This 425 is one of a very few with a Hydax? coupling between the engine and the pump instead of a spider. If I remember correctly, Power Trac said they only made 15 or so machines with this style of coupling. It is a hard plastic tube with splines on the inside. It mates up with a "gear" on the shafts of the motor and pump. I asked if the rubbery spider could provide just enough shock absorption to make a difference, but Power Trac didn't think so. Plus you would think the plastic spline teeth would strip out before creating an over pressure problem.

I try to power wash at every service. I can't get them clean either. When I swap from summer to winter tires there is always gunk built up behind the hub.

Replacing all 4 with generic wheel motors seems like the right thing to do. Less worry about tolerance differences with the originals. Might as well upgrade to bigger wheel motors while I'm at it. Hoping someone has the part number for the bigger wheel motors currently used by Power Trac.

From Minnesota.

Thanks again for the help

/ Generic wheel motors #15  
Given that history, I think that switching all four motors can't hurt, and is probably a smart move. To me, the fact that your motors seem to fail in a sequence would seem to lend some support for wear being the cause, rather than debris floating around the motor circuit.

Two questions about your local hydraulic shop;
  • Have you asked what they might charge to rebuild your motors? (I'm just thinking that if the issue is seal wear, you might get a few seal changes before the axle gets too worn.
  • Have you considered asking your hydraulic shop if they can flush the tram / variable volume pump as well as the motor circuits while they have it? Might be money well spent.
All the best,

Peter

/ Generic wheel motors #16  
KentT was the first guy I remember reading about here to upgrade his PT425 OEM wheel motors to larger displacement ones from Surplus Center. You might be able to figure out which ones he used and then cross reference to some generic wheel motors from there?

I think he did quite a bit of detailed research. Probably the most extensive knowledge about the PT425 to be found.

/ Generic wheel motors #17  
KentT was the first guy I remember reading about here to upgrade his PT425 OEM wheel motors to larger displacement ones from Surplus Center. You might be able to figure out which ones he used and then cross reference to some generic wheel motors from there?

I think he did quite a bit of detailed research. Probably the most extensive knowledge about the PT425 to be found.

Here's a thread where KentT talked about that. Link to surplus center is "no results" but he gives some specs to get started.

He ordered PT1430 wheel boxes from PT and maybe modified to fit.

/ Generic wheel motors #18  
Can't find anymore about it right now, but here's a classic where his 425 burned to the ground and he got a deal on a 1430.

I miss that guy. :)

/ Generic wheel motors #19  
In the burn pictures, you can see the wheel boxes he added. Not only did it allow him to use the larger wheel motors, it pushed the wheels out quite a bit for more stability.

/ Generic wheel motors #20  
More KentT info on wheel motors