Georgia Drought

/ Georgia Drought #1  

redlevel

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 4800
Almost all of Georgia is, according to USDA Drought Monitor, is Abnormally Dry, in Moderate Drought, or in Severe Drought. My farm is located in the southernmost area of severe drought, about 100 miles South of Atlanta. My weather ap is showing 101 degrees as I type. Bad news if this holds out another 30-45 days. Need to plant winter grazing by 10-15.

United States Drought Monitor > Current Map > State Drought Monitor

/ Georgia Drought #2  
Hot and dry here as well. We had pretty good moisture all year until about a. Until about a month ago when the spigot got turned off.

/ Georgia Drought #4  
Here is the annual weather and rain stats for Valdosta, Georgia.

September 15th - November 15th is normally dry.

Valdosta, Georgia Climate

It looks like Valdosta is about 80% below it’s September average for rainfall. As you so astutely point out, it is often dry in the Fall. That makes it REALLY DRY just like a lot of the Southeast.

/ Georgia Drought #5  
Almost all of Georgia is, according to USDA Drought Monitor, is Abnormally Dry, in Moderate Drought, or in Severe Drought. My farm is located in the southernmost area of severe drought, about 100 miles South of Atlanta. My weather ap is showing 101 degrees as I type. Bad news if this holds out another 30-45 days. Need to plant winter grazing by 10-15.

United States Drought Monitor > Current Map > State Drought Monitor

I hear you...same situation here in the N.E. corner...also in D2 conditions...

Have not been able to do any work on the roads and drives without turning everything into "quick-gravel"...

The rivers and creeks are really low (after starting the first half of the year on the high side)...right here the trout are all bunched up in the deeper holes...I toss them grasshoppers...!

/ Georgia Drought #7  
We are pretty dry in south central KY as well. My county along with many others have a burn ban going on. We are on county water such as it is (clorine) but our other place had a well 70.5 feet deep with an average water column of maybe 20 feet. During dry years we had to watch how much we drew before we had to let it refresh.

The current owner has not had it so good or did not pace their usage for they just ran county water some six hundred feet. I told them just to be glad that the county ran the lines only five or six years ago.

My neighbor whom mostly bales round bales is looking out for me. He still has some third cutting to do and will be putting more small bales up for my horses but I am still apprehensive about late winter.