Gettin' out of the house

/ Gettin' out of the house #11  
Re: Gettin\' out of the house

Enjoy the pictures!!
Looks like you and B6200 had a great day together.
Hope Mark not drooling for I think he looking for projects like that to get some more seat w/his new equipment /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

If you wants some hints on how to play dumb to confuse people who stick there noise in one business..let me know. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Gettin' out of the house #12  

Nice project! Your property is beautiful and makes me miss the northwest.
18-64320-TractorsigK.JPG

/ Gettin' out of the house

Harv, you make a good point. In a way it is intended to be permanant. I only made it wide enough for the tractor. That way, cars or trucks can't use it as a turn around as it is next to a county road.

The creek is pretty much a winter creek and is only a trickle in the summer. But now that I have it in, I am kind of questioning whether used a big enough culvert. It rained all last night so I went down to check on it. Although a little erosion on the face occurred, it is at about half its capacity. I have seen the creek handle more water than it is now. Could have some problems if something gets stuck in front of it and starts backing up...That's when the county may have something to say.

Had hard rain most of last night so took a spotlight with me on my way to work so I could check the culvert. Didn't get out of the truck for an up close look but could see that the culvert was completely submerged. The new 'pond' in front of it was bubbling pretty good though. If nature (or the county) doesn't do the work of taking it out for me may have revisit this project.

From the local newstation on the recent rain we've been having...A good culvert gone bad??

Attachments

• 35-98297-hwy53.jpg
    35-98297-hwy53.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 91
   / Gettin' out of the house #16  

Surprising just how powerful water can be at times.

/ Gettin' out of the house #17  

Pdxman: I hope that wasn't yours. I know it wasn't but the same type of thing happened up here in NY a while back. A 18 wheeler was the unfortunate victim and luckily no major damage, but it cause a re-routing of traffic for about 6 months while they repaired it.

/ Gettin' out of the house #18  

How is the culvert holding up after the rain on the 7th?
Also, are the horse trails you show hand made, or made from horse traffic over the years? Will you be doing any trail work now with your tractor?

/ Gettin' out of the house #19  

Rule of thumb I'd heard from a highway engineer is the culvert cross section should be designed to never be more than two thirds full of water. That allows debris etc to flow through without clogging things up. If the water's backing up then the culvert is undersized for that flow rate.

/ Gettin' out of the house #20  

<font color=blue>the culvert cross section should be designed to never be more than two thirds full of water.</font color=blue>

Another rule of thumb I heard, Gerard, is to always provide an overflow channel 'cuz sooner or later a culvert always gets overrun.
crazy.gif