Getting back into hay

/ Getting back into hay #71  
The way I interpret your reply is you didn't want to prove to me & the other members of this forum that you made a gross mistake on the number of 4X5 rd bales an 18 wheeler trailer can haul when you previously stated "near 50 bales" on a single trailer load! I'll bet total bale count hauled on 3 trailers won't even get close to 100 bales.

/ Getting back into hay #73  
The way I interpret your reply is you didn't want to prove to me & the other members of this forum that you made a gross mistake on the number of 4X5 rd bales an 18 wheeler trailer can haul when you previously stated "near 50 bales" on a single trailer load! I'll bet total bale count hauled on 3 trailers won't even get close to 100 bales.

Does it really matter when someone only make a couple dozen bales a year for a retirement hobby and tax shelter?

Last edited:
   / Getting back into hay #74  
Whatever. You'll never know because I'm not telling you.

Have a nice day
I evidently have a better grip on the number of 4X5 rd bales 3 trailers can legally haul than you do! You're not stating the correct total bale count on the 3 trailers because your previous bale count was so incorrect. I also wish you a nice day!

/ Getting back into hay #75  
My final comment is, at least my bales go to a feed lot for cattle, not to some mushroom company for mushroom bedding not fond of fungus anyway.

Far as the price per bale, I'm not into gouging, just adjusted it to compensate for the added cost of fertilizer and fuel and nothing more.

My customer is good with it and so am I. I don't do this to make a huge amount of money in the first place. I do it because I LIKE to do it. If it became a WORK situation, I'd liquidate everything and park my butt on the porch and watch the world go by.

I'm retired so nothing for me is mandatory and everything is optional.

/ Getting back into hay #76  
I always set my tines about 2” above the ground (like if the baler was parked on flat pavement). Pickup wheels should not run along the ground and spin, but be slightly above. They should only turn when they are on uneven ground or contact a hump.
Is your baler not a New Holland? The wheel is the only thing controlling pickup height on New Hollands (at least the 310 and 565 I have). 2" above the ground is where mine are, too. It's in the grass and picks up good.