Getting firewood INTO the house.

/ Getting firewood INTO the house. #11  
No longer hauling wood into the house, but still heating the shop with wood, I purchased a couple of those ‘hairpin’ wood rack end pieces from, I think Harbor Freight. The’re Pretty cheep and have a bracket that slips over a pair of common 2Xs. To beef up the connection between the end uopights and bottom horizontal 2Xs I welded 1/8 X 1” diaginol braces about a foot long. The whole assembly is on 4 large casters and holds about a half face cord of wood.
Using my pallet forks I take the rack to the wood pile, load it up and return to the shop. After setting the rack on the floor, I then roll it to the stove. In the warm months the empty wood rack lives in the wood shed saving valuable floor space.

B. John

/ Getting firewood INTO the house. #12  
Are you planning on a basement? If so, a dumbwaiter could work.

Steve

That was our solution. Firewood stored in basement, load onto homemade car, press button to lift car to first floor, open door beside fireplace and retrieve wood.

Basement:

enhance

Living room,door to wood car open. (door slides up/down with counterbalance)

enhance

/ Getting firewood INTO the house. #13  
That was our solution. Firewood stored in basement, load onto homemade car, press button to lift car to first floor, open door beside fireplace and retrieve wood.

Basement:

enhance

Living room,door to wood car open. (door slides up/down with counterbalance)

enhance

Nice setup!

No mess in the house.

/ Getting firewood INTO the house. #14  
FWIW...Just a general heads up on the topic...
It is often advised to not store natural firewood in your house for any length of time due to the possibility of harmful insects...
It is also prudent to not store natural firewood in contact against exterior walls of residences etc...

/ Getting firewood INTO the house. #15  
I dump my firewood in the garage and stack it. Then I load it in a wheeled box that I push from the garage door to the wood stove. IMG_0862.JPGIMG_1056.JPG

/ Getting firewood INTO the house. #16  
I'm in the "no firewood critters inside the house" camp. A day or two in the wheelbarrow beside the wood furnace - ok.

/ Getting firewood INTO the house. #17  
I had a firewood storage "rack". Looked like two Hoola Hoops - together at the top, spread at the bottom - with four short feet. I carried in and loaded one days worth every day into this rack. Burned wood for twelve years - got tired of all the bugs, bark & dirt. Went to pellets for another twelve years. Pellets got too expensive - now use electric heat. Far cheaper than pellets. Sure miss the smell of burning pine though.

/ Getting firewood INTO the house. #18  
OK,

for 50 years, I've hauled wood into the house 1 armload at a time. For the last 10 years, I have used one of those leather slings which is 'easier' I guess... although I think all it really does is allow me to work just as hard, but in 1/2 the time. However, I don't see that leather sling as a real functional system when I'm 70 given I load it with 70-80lbs each time.

I am building a new house, and I'd like to have at least one if not more wood burning fireplaces in the house. And, if possible... I'd like to design something which not only gives me a good location for storing wood but also the easiest/cleanest way in which to get the wood into the house.

I don't want to pallet it into the garage. That idea wouldn't float past my wife for even a second. Nor do I really want to haul it arm by arm through the house from the garage.

I'd like your ideas about this issue.

The fireplace WON'T be on the outside wall on at least one FP. So a direct access from outside won't be an option, as much as I'd like it to be. My preference, at this point for storage, is to design a firebox storage directly next to the fireplace. I've seen these before, and it is nice access and out of the way. I dislike a big wood rack, but now that I think about it, perhaps a good 'mobile' wood rack with a specifically designed storage spot would work best... now that might be an idea. A nice forged dolly that can be rolled in and out of the house, but with an out of the way storage spot next to the fireplace..... hmmmmm.... this question might have an inherent answer.

Anyway... I'd like your thoughts and solutions to my issue.

- You don't want to pallet it into the garage.
- You don't want to haul it arm by arm through the house from the garage.
- Fireplace won't be on an outside wall, so no direct access.
- You dislike a big wood rack.
- Your preference is a firebox storage directly next to the fireplace.

So you build a wood box next to the fireplace... how are you going to load wood into that box? Piece by piece, same amount of work that you do today, and possibly more, as if you load armloads into the fireplace, that's one time you're touching it. If you load armloads into a pile next to the fireplace and then into the fireplace, that's two times you're touching it. Same as if you load it into a woodblock. You're not saving any work.

So you go with a mobile cart that you can store in a closet, alcove, indentation, next to the fireplace.... how are you going to load that mobile cart? Piece by piece. That's one time touching each piece of wood. Now you roll the cart into the house, and you have to load it into the fireplace, so that's two times you're touching each piece of wood. All the mobile cart does is save you trips back and forth, and having to carry it VS rolling it. But remember, you'll be rolling bigger loads, so that could possibly be hard on your back, too. You're still handling each piece of firewood the same amount of times.

Where are you going to load the mobile cart from? You don't want wood in your garage. So where will the wood be? Is it easily accessible with that mobile cart?

How much wood do you burn?
How many days worth of wood will the mobile cart hold?

It would be much faster and less work if you could find a way to load the wood box directly from the outside world.

With that said... a nice looking iron rack next to the fireplace always looks nice. You can make multiple small trips to load it up in an hour, and have 4-5 days worth of wood. While it won't save you any actual work, it will let you do the work in an hour instead of having to load the rack every single day.

We are fortunate that our wood burner is in the basement, near a 4' wide doorway on the external wall, that has an outside 4' wide concrete stairway covered with metal cyclone doors. I can drive the tractor right up to it and dump in bucketloads of wood from outside. I keep about 100 pieces in the house, and get about 450 pieces in the stairwell each time I fill it. 550 pieces lasts me about 3 weeks in the coldest of winter.

When and if we ever plan and build a new house, I'm going to do my best to get a nice woood closet next to the stove, that I can load from the back. Be it from the garage, a utility room, etc... I want to load it from the back and unload it from the front.

Whatever you do, be prepared to get a LOT of dirt, sand, dust, etc... at the bottom of your storage area. Plan for that so you can pu a mat or grate or something under there that is easily removed for vacuuming/sweeping. Firewood is messy.

Good luck in your search.

/ Getting firewood INTO the house. #19  
Our home in the foothills - bought 31 years ago - has a very useful feature. There is an access door from the outside which leads to a very small storage room (about 3' wide x 4' deep x 4' high). That box/room also has an access door on the inside of the house. So, we can load firewood into that storage area from the outside and take it out as we need it from the inside. It is very near the fireplace and super convenient. Interestingly, the bottom of that area has a removable section of plywood which serves as the access point to the crawl space under the house.

/ Getting firewood INTO the house. #20  
Get a large dog.

Use a fake ceramic log with natural gas or propane for fuel.

Get a large TV and show fireplace movies.

Leave a door-wall open and use a large catapult to toss the sticks into the fireplace.

Hire a teenager to bring in the wood. Reward with the latest drug craze (Tide Pods ?)

Use a wood delivery service and have them load it.

Have a helicopter service drop the wood down the chimney and then burn it in place.

Tell your spouse it's HER turn.

Switch to pellets and bring in a pocket full at a time.

Go for a solar or windmill powered fireplace.

Grow the trees indoors and chop them up as needed (log cabin sounds ideal).

Buy Essential Oils Burned Cork Parfume' and spread it around.

Just use those diesel impregnated sawdust logs and enjoy the moment when your new house burns down.

Move South.