getting rid of briar bushes

/ getting rid of briar bushes
yes, Henro that is my problem as far as tearing into them with the tractors,where they start is where it starts to slope,and it's thick enough that you really can't tell how quick it drops,that's why if I could get rid of the briars and the other brush then I could work on taming the slope.

/ getting rid of briar bushes #12  
Depending on how many you have...a brush cutter will work...It will take some work...once you get them down to the ground then you can stay on top of them....been there done that......

/ getting rid of briar bushes #13  
If you have the time.. nothing gets rid of briars easier than just mowing them repeatedly.. especially right before they flower, seed, and retire for the winter..

Soundguy

/ getting rid of briar bushes #14  
Glyphosate (roundup) mixed to a strength of 36gm/L and sprayed early in the growing season will kill briar.

Unfortunately the seeds in the ground around the bush will keep appearing for a number of years so you have to re spray every year until you win. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If one bush goes to seed the the birds will re spread them across your property

/ getting rid of briar bushes #15  
That's right. If you mow them, it will get rid of them. You will have to mow they 2-3 times a year, to kill them.

/ getting rid of briar bushes #16  
Yep.. and more is better. I've found that my grass outgrows the briar easilly. So I have been whitteling away at the briar and not hurting my grass to awefull bad.

Soundguy

/ getting rid of briar bushes #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> to kill them </font> )</font>

You wont kill Multi Flora rose by mowing it.....you will be able to stay ahead of the return of the plant by mowing it . This stuff is the most resistant type of plant I have ever seen,a chemical is the only way to kill it. It is terrible stuff to have around.

/ getting rid of briar bushes #18  
Cactus, Jerry was replying to my message about briars/blackberries, and mowing to kill them. We weren't adressing multi-flora rose..

( glad I don't have any.. )

Soundguy

/ getting rid of briar bushes
I'm not sure I want to use any chemicals,because my pond is only 20' to 30' down from where these briars are,they are up on the bank of one side of my pond,there is no water directly below the briars but it would definiately end up in the pond. would dynamite get roots and all and then drag to back of property and burn the remains.

/ getting rid of briar bushes #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> Cactus, Jerry was replying to my message about briars/blackberries, and mowing to kill them. </font> )</font>

WOOPS.... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I am glad you do not have any of the MultiFlora rose either...I would not wish that stuff on anyone....