Getting Rid of Crab Grass In Fescue Pasture

/ Getting Rid of Crab Grass In Fescue Pasture #11  
Dont think its impossible to kill the crabgrass. Its not that hard and not that expensive in a pasture. The price for yard preemergence homeowner materials are far different for a more ag commercial use like a pasture. The critical issue for me is that the horses are better off with the crabgrass than straight fescue.

/ Getting Rid of Crab Grass In Fescue Pasture #12  
If it is spread out all over, I walk through the area, and yell, "JUST WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR!". It don't help, but I feel better. :thumbsup:

Ha! That's a good one. :D I'm saying just that right now.

This year has been bad for crabgrass, and the previous years not bad. So I didn't put any pre-emergence down.

But am mowing often and short, in hopes to keep it from going to seed.

/ Getting Rid of Crab Grass In Fescue Pasture #13  
I'm not sure of the grazing restrictions but Drive(quinclorac) at 1lb./AC will smoke crabgrass. Will ding up fescue a little but not kill it. It's more effective(along with all herbicides)when the target is not as stressed from environmental conditions-drought, etc. Also better earlier in the growing cycle. Example is right now crabgrass is at peak maturity, therefore stronger, making it harder to kill with anything.

/ Getting Rid of Crab Grass In Fescue Pasture #14  
I'm not sure of the grazing restrictions but Drive(quinclorac) at 1lb./AC will smoke crabgrass. Will ding up fescue a little but not kill it. It's more effective(along with all herbicides)when the target is not as stressed from environmental conditions-drought, etc. Also better earlier in the growing cycle. Example is right now crabgrass is at peak maturity, therefore stronger, making it harder to kill with anything.

Drive is not labeled for grazing. The same thing is Paramount, not sure if it is or not. At the high rate for CG and FT, it will kick the poop out of fescue especially late like this with any moisture stress. Ive been there done that...not fun.

/ Getting Rid of Crab Grass In Fescue Pasture #15  
But am mowing often and short, in hopes to keep it from going to seed.

Unfortunately, it will still seed at the ground level, and mowing can spread it.

If you can bag, you can reduce the number of seeds slightly.

This year has been very bad for crabgrass, I only put down 1 application in areas that were prone to it. And that was only good till late June. Then, the crabgrass party started. :drink:

One area I did not do, so I could over seed, is a nightmare right now.

I may have to get a mortgage to pay for it, but it will be shock and awe, in the crabgrass battle, next spring. :thumbsup:

/ Getting Rid of Crab Grass In Fescue Pasture #16  
Im overseeding in a couple weeks heavy with fescue. Then in April Ill apply Prowl at 2 quarts/acre right before a rain. That usually holds all season on foxtail and crab

/ Getting Rid of Crab Grass In Fescue Pasture
Im overseeding in a couple weeks heavy with fescue. Then in April Ill apply Prowl at 2 quarts/acre right before a rain. That usually holds all season on foxtail and crab

Thanks Foxtail was going to be my next question.

Is Foxtail an annual too?

/ Getting Rid of Crab Grass In Fescue Pasture #18  

I guess I will give that a try too.

/ Getting Rid of Crab Grass In Fescue Pasture #20  
Hey Guys,
One of the first things too consider in killing pasture crabgrass is that you must not let it go to seed. Plan on elimination of at least 2 yrs. The Crabgrass should be cut as close to the ground as possible and frequently, every 30 days on the hottest days possibly, preferable > than 90 degrees. In the fall in September sew the pasture with rye grass and any other such as fescue and when it germinates it will grow in the winter and will keep most crabgrass seeds from germinating in the spring.,As far as chemicals are concerned My favorite is 8 % solution of Round-up Pro, tordon 101 also works but it is slow reacting to the grass.. There are a number of good chemicals on the market will solve the crabgrass problem. One last suggestion, if your pastures contains more than 40 % crab grass, plow it under and start with a new seedbed.Hope this is useful;
Ed Hammons