Getting rid of Dandilions

/ Getting rid of Dandilions #1  

Fug1000

Silver Member
Tractor
2007 Kubota B7800
I was wondering what you all prefer to keep your lawn looking dandelion and weed free?

I have about a 6 acre lawn. Would a pull behind sprayer and chemical be best or a pull behind spreader and pellets?

Also what Chemicals or pellets do you prefer (cost .vs results)

Last edited:
   / Getting rid of Dandilions #2  
I am in central Indiana, and use Triplet in a sprayer. You can get it at a Farm Bureau CO-OP in gallon jugs. Use 16 oz. in 10 gallons of water to cover 10,000 sq ft. No rain or mowing after application for 24 hrs. It is cheaper in 2 1/2 gal jugs, and it keeps. You can mix liquid fertilizer in the same mix too! Sort of a home made weed-n-feed!!

Good luck!

/ Getting rid of Dandilions #3  
I've had excellent results with a boom sprayer applied 2,4-D Amine formula. Purchased 2 1/2 gallons at TSC last year. I was able to fit in 2 applications last year and 1 application so far this year. I have virtually zero dandelions in my yard this year. I still have about 1/3 of the container left. The few dandelions that do pop up from time to time I hit with a hand sprayer. Just follow the application rate on the container. Good luck!

Regards,
Duber

/ Getting rid of Dandilions #4  
Triplet SF that is :)

Greenfield Dave said:
I am in central Indiana, and use Triplet in a sprayer. You can get it at a Farm Bureau CO-OP in gallon jugs. Use 16 oz. in 10 gallons of water to cover 10,000 sq ft. No rain or mowing after application for 24 hrs. It is cheaper in 2 1/2 gal jugs, and it keeps. You can mix liquid fertilizer in the same mix too! Sort of a home made weed-n-feed!!

Good luck!

/ Getting rid of Dandilions #5  
Tall, thick grass is the best anti-dandelion defense. You can spray away this years crop but it is a never ending battle as the seeds blow in from everywhere. I don't think you will find dandelions in fields in which the grass is tall and thick enough that sunlight doesn't directly hit the ground.

Until you get to that stage, though, 2,4-D is probably as good a way as any of controlling them. Ask your county agent whether to go after them harder in the fall or spring. Around here, they recommend fall treatment.

/ Getting rid of Dandilions #6  
Go with a three point mounted boom sprayer with wand. Those trailers are a pain to get up close or back up to trees, buildings etc.

BD

/ Getting rid of Dandilions #7  
Personally, I don't ever use any chemicals here. Like cp1969 said, there are other ways. Like changing the ph of the soil to inhibit dandelions, and making sure the grass is healthy. In fact you can even eat the dandelions. Go on a dendelion diet for a week and your hunger will solve the problem!

/ Getting rid of Dandilions #8  
RichNJKubota said:
Personally, I don't ever use any chemicals here. Like cp1969 said, there are other ways. Like changing the ph of the soil to inhibit dandelions, and making sure the grass is healthy. In fact you can even eat the dandelions. Go on a dendelion diet for a week and your hunger will solve the problem!
BINGO!

/ Getting rid of Dandilions #9  
The roots are not bad when stir fried. Just use the new leaves for a salad as the old ones are tough.

Dandelions were introduced to North America as a food plant.:D

/ Getting rid of Dandilions #10  
I always wanted to make dandelion wine but never got around to it. I only need to walk to the yard for a never ending supply on dandelions when I'm ready! Nick.