Getting rid of Moles/Voles

/ Getting rid of Moles/Voles #1  

alltoys

Silver Member
Tractor
Montana R28
I have a few mounds on my property still snow covered yet but once the snow goes I want to get started.

Does anyone know how to get rid of these little Varmints??

/ Getting rid of Moles/Voles
Good idea except Coyotes like cats.

/ Getting rid of Moles/Voles #4  
I have a few mounds on my property still snow covered yet but once the snow goes I want to get started.

Which is it moles or voles? Moles you have to trap out. Voles you have to poison out.

A mole is a almost blind critter with big paddle like front feet.

A vole is a small mouse like critter with a shorter tail than a mouse. WE had to geta pesticide license to buy poison oats and put them in a special T shaped feeder we made out of PVC. google on which ever your refering to and you find some info on how to try to control them.

I say "try" because voles population builds up and then crashes rather dramatically. So you might be able to protect plants around your house with poison but you, the hawks, the coyotes, the cats, the dogs, sea gulls and all the predators will not put a dent in their population when it builds up.
I've seen sea gulls eat so many they couldn't fly. There were piles of owl pellets on all my fence posts and the hawks were working overtime and it didn't dent their population. In a matter of a few months, the succumbed to some type of epidemic and they were just gone. they are just now starting to come back after a 4 year hiatus.

Last edited:
   / Getting rid of Moles/Voles
Which is it moles or voles? Moles you have to trap out. Voles you have to poison out.

A mole is a almost blind critter with big paddle like front feet.

A vole is a small mouse like critter with a shorter tail than a mouse. WE had to geta pesticide license to buy poison oats and put them in a special T shaped feeder we made out of PVC. google on which ever your refering to and you find some info on how to try to control them.

I say "try" because voles population builds up and then crashes rather dramatically. So you might be able to protect plants around your house with poison but you, the hawks, the coyotes, the cats, the dogs, sea gulls and all the predators will not put a dent in their population when it builds up.
I've seen sea gulls eat so many they couldn't fly. There were piles of owl pellets on all my fence posts and the hawks were working overtime and it didn't dent their population. In a matter of a few months, the succumbed to some type of epidemic and they were just gone. they are just now starting to come back after a 4 year hiatus.

I gather then MOLES!

/ Getting rid of Moles/Voles #6  

I have used this before and it helps...but if you have dogs or cats you need to be careful that they don't get it.

Mole Patrol Poison Pellets

Something that is safe to use and the moles can't stand the smell of is "peppermint"

/ Getting rid of Moles/Voles #7  
We found a Vole colony out in the yard just after we had the house built/moved in 10 years ago. Asked around and the pest companies told us that Voles are "protected" species in WV and they couldn't recommend or do anything.

I got some rat bait from Tractor Supply (the green chunks) and dropped a few down the holes in the colony. Voles gone. Haven't come back either.
Our Voles didn't make mounds - there was just an area about 3' x 5' where there was a depression in the ground and a bunch of vole holes.

/ Getting rid of Moles/Voles #8  
Help me out here guys. I know that folks from different parts of the country have different names for the same critter so- WHAT THE HECK IS A VOLE?
Anything like a gopher?

/ Getting rid of Moles/Voles #9  
Help me out here guys. I know that folks from different parts of the country have different names for the same critter so- WHAT THE HECK IS A VOLE?
Anything like a gopher?

Voles (Meadow Mice) Management Guidelines--UC IPM

IDENTIFICATION
Voles are mouselike rodents somewhat similar in appearance to pocket gophers. They have a compact, heavy body, short legs, short-furred tail, small eyes, and partially hidden ears. The long, coarse fur is blackish brown to grayish brown. When fully grown they can measure 5 to 8 inches long, including the tail.

Although voles do spend considerable time aboveground and may occasionally be seen scurrying about, most of their time is spent below ground in their burrow system. The clearest signs of their presence are the well-traveled, aboveground runways that connect burrow openings; the runways are usually hidden beneath a protective layer of grass or other ground cover. The maze of runways leads to multiple burrow openings that are each about 1-1/2 to 2 inches in diameter. The runways are easily found by pulling back overhanging ground cover. Fresh clippings of green grass and greenish-colored droppings about 3/16 inch long in the runways and near the burrows are further evidence of voles. With age, the droppings lose the green coloring and turn brown or gray.

/ Getting rid of Moles/Voles #10  
Anything like a gopher?

Here's a couple pictures:D

First picture is a mole.

Second one a vole.

Last edited: