Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #21  
jeffinsgf said:
One issue, Dargo, is minimum delivery amount. My supplier won't bring less than 150 gallons. That's about a year's supply for me, which works out OK. But, for a guy who doesn't run his equipment that hard, having more than a year's supply might turn out to be a problem (condensation and fungus in the tank, for example). I bought a 300 gallon bulk tank and a stand for gravity feed. I like it just fine, but I can see how it could easily be more efficient to have barrels that you fill at the supplier rather than having bulk delivery. You lucked into a sweet deal on your used tank. Paying normal price for a new tank, I have a long way to go to justify its expense --- though I am not too worried about it since I love the convenience. On the other hand, a 55 gallon drum with a good pump and hose set up would be just as convenient.
Mine's 100 gallons but only applies to special deliveries.
They will top off my 30 gallon drum whenever they are already in my area delivering to others. There is no minimum quantity required for a top off.

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #22  
LBrown59 said:
1*Tuthill transfer pump (FR152).
I was just looking at their pumps on Harbor Freight.
$210 $300 $330.
Where did you find one for less than a hundred?

Northern Tool: Tuthill Fill-Rite Hand Fuel Pump — 2in. NPT, Model# FR152NT | Barrel + Hand Pumps | Northern Tool + Equipment

LBrown59 said:
2*I Was just wondering why you had to haul it.
All 3 suppliers here will stop by and top off my little old 30 gallon drum whenever they're delivering in the area.
You might check this out with the suppliers in your area but keep in mind that topping off is not to be confused with Min. Delivery.

The terminal is just a few miles from my house so no worries and I can do it on my own schedule.

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #23  
Dargo said:
It just seems like like it takes more time and effort and trouble to haul 55 gallon barrels to get filled, crank the fuel into 5 gallon cans, and then still have to hold the 5 gallon cans up to fill the tractor. I get my tank filled about 3 times a year and I really enjoy just flipping the switch and using a regular fuel nozzle to fill my tank. No more watching the sweat dripping down my nose as I hold the 5 gallon cans up in the air waiting for them to empty into the tractor's tank. :)

Why in the world would you go from a 55 gallon drum to a 5 gallon can to fill the tractor's tank?

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #24  
LBRown, I may buy just a little for my wifes landscaping business, but I think I get treated well because of my other job. :) (the quantities are not so small)

I just put a waterblock filter with clear bowl on the pump last night and a new hose and a 90 elbow so the hose hangs straight down.

Cannot seem to post pictures at home because of some Green Marquee Pop-up thing, but will see if I can sort it and show how my set up is.

I too would wonder about why would I want to put it in a 5 from the 55, Some part of that I just do not follow.

I want to keep to the 55's because they are easier to manage, and I have better turnover then if I had a large tank. And with my limited and small equipment, it is more then adequate.

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #25  
heymack said:
Why in the world would you go from a 55 gallon drum to a 5 gallon can to fill the tractor's tank?

I fill 5 gallon cans from my 55 gallon barrel because.....

I operate the tractor at another property and the 7 gallon tank is not enough to do a job so I need to fuel up remotely which means I need cans.

I add fuel additive to the cans so that I get proper mixture.

Finally, how do you know when it gets full? With my hose stuffed into the tractor's tank and me cranking away on the barrel's pump the only way I will know when the tractor tank is full is by either checking a million times or by waiting for overflow. I always top off my tank at the end of the day.

At my last house, the fuel barrel was stored at a place not accessible by tthe tractor so I had to transfer to cans.

Depsite transferring to 5 gallon cans I still find the convenience of a bulk tank extremely pleasant.

Now if I had an electrical pump and an auto shutoff nozzle then maybe I would fill straight to the tractor when I'm at home. 80 turns of the rotary crank fills the 5 gallon can, no sweat.

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #26  
AlanB said:
LBRown,
I just put a waterblock filter with clear bowl on the pump last night and a new hose and a 90 elbow so the hose hangs straight down.

Cannot seem to post pictures at home because of some Green Marquee Pop-up thing, but will see if I can sort it and show how my set up is.

I would like to see and hear more about your set up especially the water block unit you referred to and any other filters you or other might recommend for a gravity system. if you can't post the pic please send them E-mail.

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #27  
If I'm not mistaken they sell water block filters at TSC. There in the oil/maintenance department with the fuel pumps.

/ Getting set up for 55 gal diesel drums #29  
Highbeam said:
I fill 5 gallon cans from my 55 gallon barrel because.....

I operate the tractor at another property and the 7 gallon tank is not enough to do a job so I need to fuel up remotely which means I need cans.

I add fuel additive to the cans so that I get proper mixture.

Finally, how do you know when it gets full? With my hose stuffed into the tractor's tank and me cranking away on the barrel's pump the only way I will know when the tractor tank is full is by either checking a million times or by waiting for overflow. I always top off my tank at the end of the day.

At my last house, the fuel barrel was stored at a place not accessible by tthe tractor so I had to transfer to cans.

Depsite transferring to 5 gallon cans I still find the convenience of a bulk tank extremely pleasant.

Now if I had an electrical pump and an auto shutoff nozzle then maybe I would fill straight to the tractor when I'm at home. 80 turns of the rotary crank fills the 5 gallon can, no sweat.

I can see certain situations where pumping some diesel into a 5-gallon container is beneficial, but Dargo made it sound like he doesn't have to pump into a 5-gallon can because he has a 275-gallon tank and those who use a 55-gallon drum set-up have to. Personally, I can mix my additive just as easily in my 55-gallon drum as I could in a 5-gallon can. When filling the tractor's tank out of the 55-gallon drum, I either have a friend, wife or kid watch. Alternatively, I just listen to the sound the fluid makes when entering the tank. As it gets near the top, there is a distinct "full" sound that is not nearly as hollow sounding as when the tank is empty. Finally, my 55-gallon drum is mobile as it sits on a wheeled platform/dolly so I can pull it right up alongside the tractor.

Here's a picture of the Goldenrod water block filter:

170306_med.gif