getting started

/ getting started #1  

bmaxwell

Tractor
Ford 4000
I am pretty new to home gardening, but I have a rocky foundation built from my childhood, my father and grandfather both grew small vegetable gardens while I was growing up, unfortunately they both passed away before I got to the age where I was old enough to learn enough about it, I am wanting to grow a vegetable garden with some corn, snap beans, squash, tomatoes, ect. this year in the same spot they used to, it hasn't been worked in a long time, 10 years almost, and I will be using my grandads old tuff-bilt tractor which is alot like a saukville tractor, my question is what order do I take to this at do i use the tines to break up and then the disc harrows, or since it has been so long should i go with a true break up plow then what, i don't know what order to go in with these and i don't know the right terminology either, i know i need to start the weekend after good friday from my grandmother but that is about it, also what do i use to make the rows, and get them the right depth to plant the seeds, i can find out how deep to plant by package but other than doing by hand i don't know what to use to do rows, plant seed, and cover the rows with a tractor or planter or ???, any help and advice ya'll can give would be great, thank you for your time
Brian

/ getting started #2  
Brian,

First, Welcome to TBN.
Much has to do with what implements you have, how big your garden will be, and soil conditions. I am waiting for more and better advice from some expert gardeners, but I think those three items will be, most likely, asked first.

Good luck, Mark

/ getting started #3  
Whew, Brian, I doubt that any of us can cover that whole topic here since many books have been written on the subject. I don't know where you are located, what kind of soil, climate, etc. but maybe can help just a tiny bit.

In most parts of the country, there is a County Extension Agent, and they are great sources of information on this topic, so that's where I'd start. And then anything to "till" the soil can be used, even just a shovel and rake, depending on how large the garden will be and what tools or implements you have. I like to get about 6" deep, although 4" will work in many cases. Next, do you know about the fertility of the soil? You may or may not need fertilizer, and the County Extension Agent probably has the envelopes and instructions if you want to send in soil samples for analysis to see what, if anything, is needed. Next, different vegetables need to be planted at different times. The Old Farmer's Almanac is a good source for that information. In fact, go to their web site, click on the "Gardening" button, and you'll find a great deal of good information.

As for the rows, different crops need different amounts of space. The seed packets that tell you how deep to plant will probably also tell you about the best spacing. It's easy to measure off the distance between rows to lay them out. You can plant by hand, simply drag a hoe down the row to make a furrow, or you can use something like the Earthway Precision Planter like I used.

Hope this helps just a little bit to get you started, and good luck with your garden.

/ getting started #4  
Hi Brian, and welcome to TBN! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm not a gardener, so I can't offer you any suggestions on what to do, other than if you do it right I'll be happy to help you test the results! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Seriously, have you visited TBN's sister site CountyByNet ? I think you might find some better responses there. Not that you won't get them here. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif In fact, many that you get here will be by the same folks that give them to you there! And of course, if you get them there, well, you might just get the same ones here! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Anyway, go visit CBN and see what you can find. And remember to call me when you're ready to test your efforts! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif