Tires Getting stuck with turf tires

/ Getting stuck with turf tires #11  
I have only the AG tires on my GC2300. Most of my work is either in the woods, FEL, or tilling. No lawn work - I use a riding mower for that - or should I say, my uses a riding mower for that:)

The AGs didn't take long to make "roads" in the back areas of the lawn from the barn to the garden to the woods, etc. Doesn't matter. Can't be seen from the house.

Turfs would not give the traction I need.

/ Getting stuck with turf tires #12  
bill177 said:
The AGs didn't take long to make "roads" in the back areas of the lawn from the barn to the garden to the woods, etc. Doesn't matter. Can't be seen from the house.

Turfs would not give the traction I need.

Same here. I have AGs. Turfs without chains will never give me the traction I need.
Bob

/ Getting stuck with turf tires #13  
"Quick change" and tractor tires are mutually incompatible. With the medium to larger tractors, just moving aound a tire/rim assembly is a challenge. R-1 tires (aka AG tires) have the coarsest tread, and hence most traction, but they will most definately tear up a wet-damp lawn, and depending on the weight of the tractor, can leave noticeable imprints on soft ground or plush lawns. FORGET about running a tractor with R-1s in 4WD around a lawn (or if you do, make very wide turns). Next up are R-4s (aka Industrial tires) that have a bit less coarser tread and, for reasons unclear to me, the thickest tread on tractor tires (supposed to be the longest lasting tire - as, unlike AG tires originally designed for soil contact, industrial tires were designed to spend much of their lives on pavement). That's what I have, a compromise between traction and ground inprinting. A loaded R-4 will hold pretty well, but will, like R-1s, tear up wet/damp lawns and should be used in 4WD on lawns with caution. Turf tires are for lawns, golf courses and the like, and work very well for that application. As to running turf tires through deep mud or similar - good luck - but that said, if you've a FEL or back hoe to help pull you out of trouble (and I've needed my FEL on many occasions), then maybe you're OK if the main deal is lawn care.

/ Getting stuck with turf tires #14  
Code:
heavy clay soil

Clay is lovely stuff. I think you will find that the ags will get stuck in wet clay just as fast as turfs.

Think chains if you wish to increase your overall traction.

/ Getting stuck with turf tires #15  
Anybody try lowering tire air pressure? It seem if you are not lifting heay loads dropping the pressure in the rear tires a few pounds may help a little.

/ Getting stuck with turf tires #16  
MOPAULY said:
I've managed to get my fresh new BX24 stuck twice now with the turf tires...

Are the industrial any better? ...

Your thoughts?

So - I too have a BX24 - and while changing tires on a big tractor is in fact a pain and not something to be done "quickly" - the BX24 certainly would allow a much faster change between tires as the front wheels are small to the point of my wife calling them "cute".
I turned this question over and over in my mind before I committed to the R4's (industrial) tires for my tractor. I would do lots of reading on all the forums - this seems to be a heavily written about topic in general and one of the more "difficult" questions people ask before purchase (or after when they are getting stuck). Here's an apples to apples - since I have your tractor (or you have mine, depending on perspective).
I find that the R4's can and sometimes do leave small indentations in the ground if I "have" to get on it right after a rain. When the ground is more dry than wet - they are fine. They are also aggressive if I have the 4WD engaged and I turn sharply (aggressive being there is some tear-out - not a rut).
Now, I moved a LOT of soil with the FEL on fairly damp ground over the same tracks through a gate... My experiences - given the weight of the BX24, even with a loaded FEL, was very minimal tearing out and rutting. And when I needed the extra bite for filling the bucket - the R4's had it.
I did test drive a turf equipped BX24 before I bought mine and in damp grass - it had issues getting up a small slope at the dealer in 4WD that another BX24 with R4's walked up in 2WD (that's the one I bought!). I will concede that the turf tires ride smoother (less bumpy).
If you are mowing exclusively (which you are not, hence getting stuck) - I would say turfs are the way to go... but if you were mowing exclusively I'd ask you why you bought a BX24... :)
Get the R4's - that's my opinion on helping you spend even more money!

/ Getting stuck with turf tires
Maybe down the road if I have extra cash I'd get the R4's...I've found the turfs work better if I don't try to work beyond their means. Earlier I was doing some clearing and used low range with 4wd...as long as I took slow, steady bites, I had no slippage. It looks like some of it is as much technique as it is tire, at least from my experimenting.

/ Getting stuck with turf tires #18  
SPYDERLK said:
Jethro, they are 16X7.50x8NHS and 24X12.00X12NHS mounted on BX1500 rims.
Larry

They won't work for me. I am having trouble finding tires for my b1550.

/ Getting stuck with turf tires #19  
Funny. I cleared 7 driveways of an 8" wet snow last winter ranging from 200 feet to 500 feet long using my FEL, 4WD, and turf tires. No chains. No Ags. Granted the driveways aren't particularly hilly (probably 10% max grade), but I did it without a hitch. I pull stumps and dig in the ugly red clay as much, or more than, the next guy and I agree the Turf tires don't release ANYTHING (until dry and leaving litter inside and leading to the tractor garage). But reading these posts make me think everyone is sliding around like they're driving on a sheet of Pork & Beans.

Obviously, R-1's have a 100-fold traction advantage. And I think I'm going to give R-4's a try when my Turfs wear out. But I haven't been sprinting to my dealership for another set of rims and tires in my 70 hours of 'typical' use since buying in February. The simple weight of the tractor gives the Turfs an appreciable amount of traction. And when I go to reverse too quick when mowing, I get a simple 'skid mark'...not a rut I'm going to have to fill in and re-seed later. And they don't jostle the fizz out of my beer when going down the driveway!