Getting the seat to go forward a little more

/ Getting the seat to go forward a little more #1  

Teikas Dad

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200
I'm not going to say that my wife is short.....let's just say that she's vertically challenged. This presents a problem when she's operating the tractor (B3200) as her leg is not quite long enough to fully apply the brakes from a normal seated position. To push the brake all the way down she has to slide forward in the seat to get close enough which I don't think is particularly safe.

The tractor has the reversing seat mount for use with the backhoe. I've got the slider adjustment as far forward as it will go (it's actually a good spot for me to operate from and I'm 5'11"). Here's a photo of the mount.

IMG_5235_zps1eb97c99.jpg

If I could get the seat to slide forward another 2 inches it would make a big difference for her. There are other holes in the bottom of the seat but they don't have the same spacing dimension as the bolts holding the silver plate on. I thought about moving the seat on that bracket, but that seems to be a no go.

IMG_5236_zps8b235fe8.jpg

The track section that attaches to the seat is 11 inches long.

d867d85c-2394-49c4-88fa-8c8b2f90f04f_zps00b8a6f6.jpg

Does anyone have another model tractor that has a longer seat slide than this? If so I may be able to buy the parts and retrofit mine to get a little extra forward movement.

If anyone has any other ideas, suggestions or if you had the same problem and you modified things, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks

/ Getting the seat to go forward a little more #2  
I would deal with the pedal instead . Maybe a wooden block or similar of appropriate thickness on pedal. That way the seat would be ok for her and all you would have do do his move seat back a bit .

/ Getting the seat to go forward a little more #3  
My wife is 5'2" and she didn't have a problem pushing the Kubota brake pedal fully down when we were comparing tractors. Does your pedal need adjusted by any chance?
Now she did have a problem with the JD, the seat would not go forwards far enough for her to operate the pedals.

/ Getting the seat to go forward a little more #4  
Take thin angle iron and flat stock to tie the angle iron together to replace the bracket on the seat. You would have to grind part of the angle to get it shaped right where the pin goes thru.

/ Getting the seat to go forward a little more #5  
Maybe some stacked sole/high heel go go boots - just for operating the tractor! :D

/ Getting the seat to go forward a little more
Maybe some stacked sole/high heel go go boots - just for operating the tractor! :D

I like that idea, I brought it up to her suggesting she get either these

electra-3050-b_03.jpg

or these

Candy-3000.jpg

or these

electra-3023.jpg

I told her you guys said she had to wear them if she wanted to drive the tractor..........I only have to sleep in the barn for a week this time.

/ Getting the seat to go forward a little more #7  
Many shorter women have been known to use seat cushions placed on the seat back to move their seating position forward.

A good thick cushion with a strap to hold it in place might just do the job.

/ Getting the seat to go forward a little more #8  
Good thing you didn't tell her you were going to trade her for a taller woman to operate the tractor while you were sleeping in the barn.. might have been a longer exile.

The trouble with shifting the seat base is going to be that you won't be able to get it far enough back to suit you if you move it for her. You're better off to try and find a way to extend the adjustable range a bit more. Pedal blocks and cushions are a nuisance, I find the cushion shortens the seat enough to make it uncomfortable.

We have almost the opposite problem here.. I'm 5'11" and a bit, she's slightly shorter than I am but has longer legs, so we usually don't have to move much when she runs the wee beasty.

Sean

/ Getting the seat to go forward a little more #9  
   / Getting the seat to go forward a little more #10  
i have seen the threads here on TBN were folks have modified the brake pedals. and redid the linkage to make brake pedal stick back further.

i have seen blocks of wood, and holes drilled and screwed onto pedals

i have seen blocks of wood with pipe clamps attach block to pedal.

==============
looking back at your pictures, the second picture from top, showing the "silver bracket" that attaches to bottom of seat, and hinges.

take that off, and take to some metal shop. and have them make a new bracket that is offset with holes you need to move seat forward. and have them weld or bend edge. so you can get your hing. so the seat tilts up.