Given an Air Compressor Today

/ Given an Air Compressor Today #1  

Luke'sScreenName

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX4800 with BH-90X hoe; Hustler FastTrack 48; B3300SU (sold); 1969 Case 680B CK (sold)
I was given this IR 4000 compressor today. All the compressors I have owned previously had carrying handles! Can anyone fill me in on what kind of quality this one is? I also have some other questions.

What kind of oil should I put in it? I have an old bottle of "compressor oil." Would that work?

Should I replace the water filter? What Kind?

Needs a new pressure gauge. Should I do glycerin filled?

Where might I find a manual?

IMG_20160417_174541568.jpg IMG_20160417_174017820.jpg IMG_20160417_174043865.jpg

IMG_20160417_174056661.jpg IMG_20160417_174109365.jpg IMG_20160417_174149922.jpg

IMG_20160417_174201268.jpg IMG_20160417_174207930.jpg

And what is in this box?
IMG_20160417_174232579_HDR.jpg

/ Given an Air Compressor Today #2  
I just use full synthetic motor oil in the crankcase on my Puma compressor.
A glycerin filled gauge will dampen the vibration and show a better reading, but it really isn't necessary.
That water filter might have a replaceable element in it. Have to take it apart to see but you would need to know where to get a replacement cartridge.
Open the drain on the bottom of the filter to remove any water collected. While you are draining that, drain the compressor tank using the valve on the bottom off the tank.
A good upgrade to any compressor is to take off the factory el cheapo valve, put a nipple, 90 degree elbow, nipple and a quick open ball valve that is easily reached so you don't have to get on your belly to unscrew the factory needle valve. This should be drained at least once a week if you use the compressor daily.

That rectangular box looks to be the intake air filter for the compressor.

Question: is that a shop vac hanging on the back side?

/ Given an Air Compressor Today
I just use full synthetic motor oil in the crankcase on my Puma compressor.
A glycerin filled gauge will dampen the vibration and show a better reading, but it really isn't necessary.
That water filter might have a replaceable element in it. Have to take it apart to see but you would need to know where to get a replacement cartridge.
Open the drain on the bottom of the filter to remove any water collected. While you are draining that, drain the compressor tank using the valve on the bottom off the tank.
A good upgrade to any compressor is to take off the factory el cheapo valve, put a nipple, 90 degree elbow, nipple and a quick open ball valve that is easily reached so you don't have to get on your belly to unscrew the factory needle valve. This should be drained at least once a week if you use the compressor daily.

That rectangular box looks to be the intake air filter for the compressor.

Question: is that a shop vac hanging on the back side?

Yes a little (2.5 gal I think) shop vac.

/ Given an Air Compressor Today #4  
I think you have a 230volt 5hp single stage 40 or 50 gallon compressor. Probably get a manual online. Older units used 30 weight non-detergent oil. Water filters usually just need drained. The box is for your intake air.

/ Given an Air Compressor Today #5  
Ingersoll Rand can probably supply a manual for your compressor. I think they are very good quality. Here's a link about the difference between motor oil and compressor oil. Compressor oil is available at most auto parts stores, Wally World, HF, TSC etc. If you can't find any then 20 or 30 wt. non-detergent oil can be used.
What Is the Difference Between Air Compressor Oil & Motor Oil? | eHow
Any pressure gauge of the proper range will work and doesn't have to be glycerin filled.
Water filter is probably still good. You can probably unscrew it to check it. It can be replaced with another IR or similar different brand.
And best of all was the price of the compressor.

/ Given an Air Compressor Today #6  
I think you have a 230volt 5hp single stage 40 or 50 gallon compressor. Probably get a manual online. Older units used 30 weight non-detergent oil. Water filters usually just need drained. The box is for your intake air.
That is for sure, You are going to need a 220V connection for that compressor since it pulls 15 amps size the breaker accordingly.

/ Given an Air Compressor Today #7  
I would use IR T30 Select compressor oil, buy two quart bottles at most auto parts stores. Nice find or gift.

/ Given an Air Compressor Today #8  
I was given this IR 4000 compressor today. All the compressors I have owned previously had carrying handles! Can anyone fill me in on what kind of quality this one is? I also have some other questions.

What kind of oil should I put in it? I have an old bottle of "compressor oil." Would that work?

Should I replace the water filter? What Kind?

Needs a new pressure gauge. Should I do glycerin filled?

Where might I find a manual?

View attachment 465110 View attachment 465111 View attachment 465112

View attachment 465113 View attachment 465114 View attachment 465115

View attachment 465116 View attachment 465117

And what is in this box?
View attachment 465118

looks to be a slightly newer model of the Ingersol Rand 5 hp 60 gallon compressors i have.
Although your tank does look smaller??
They are a decent compressor and the pump is rebuildable with replaceable crankshaft bearings.

my compressors are single stage, rated @ around 11.9 cfm at 90 psi. and shut off at 120-125 psi.
Although these are not a true commercial duty air compressor- they do have continuous duty motors and quality compressors.
i have many times run my original non stop ( literally) 10 hrs straight- doing auto body sanding /paint work
with no problem other than needing to drain the moisture from tank condensation...

i bought one new and the other from a friend that bought his at the same time, both still going strong after 30 years of use with no failures yet.

Congrats - great score:thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Given an Air Compressor Today #9  
Decient unit. Looks like about all the other $400-$500 60 gallon compressors.

Probably around 10-12 cfm as most of them are rated.

Not a fan of those "compressor duty" motors though. Fancy way of saying it ain't ment to run all the time. And 5 SPL label for horsepower...it Aint truly 5hp.

Love the price. Wish I could find a 60 gal that cheap.

/ Given an Air Compressor Today
Thanks for all the great info so far. :thumbsup:
Is it a problem painting with a single stage? Everything I've owned has been two stage.