Glad I own a JD

/ Glad I own a JD #1  

GaryK

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4100 HST
A local organization that I belong to recently had a demo-derby. One of the members brought his 34 hp Kubota with a front loader and box blade to level the track and move crashed cars. Anyways, in speaking with him about how he liked the tractor( it was several years old) he commenced to tell me how the dealer really soaks him each time they work on it. He mentioned $1200 for some kind of yearly service and several hundred for a set of lights and plastic switch installation. Then the switch broke off and another $150 for a new one. I think I am glad i stayed green.

/ Glad I own a JD #2  
Gary.
Just about like ever thing in life you have your good and bad.
The equipment is ownly as good as the operator.
I'm glad to read that your satisfy with your J.D. as I'm with my Kubota,but we are humans and humans do change.

Take care and enjoy your summer./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Thomas..NH

/ Glad I own a JD #3  
I'm glad I don't go to this dealer too. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I have found that most reliable service places charge retail for fluids and an hour's labor for routine services. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Didn't seem to matter whether NH, JD, or Kubota. Since most of us do our own routine services, guess they stuck it to him.

/ Glad I own a JD #4  
Yep, GaryK, I'm glad you stayed green, too (as long as you're happy with it)./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif And it sounds like if that dealer just had a few more customers as dumb as the one you talked to, he could make a lot of money./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Glad I own a JD #5  
That dealer may have sold orange tractors, but his heart was only on the color of money. The sad part is that he has customers dumb enough to pay. He's fortunately not typical and it has nothing to do with the kind of tractor he sells.

There's a dealer who has that reputation not far from me. He used to sell Kubota but no longer does (rumors abound as to exactly how that happened but I don't have any facts). All I know is that he now sells John Deere, but that hasn't changed his pricing or reputation.

Mark

/ Glad I own a JD #6  
I have a dealer very close to me (an orange one) that is very similar, I made the mistake of sending my 15 year old yanmar down to him for some minor repairs, and neglected to ask him for an estimate ahead of time...boy was I shocked when I got a bill for almost $1000 that I thought should have been about $3-$400...I know I got screwed, and it was partially my own darn fault, but nobody ever gets a chance to screw me twice...that few hundred dollars he got out of me cost him a lot of money...when time came for a new tractor, I didn't even consider him as a possible source, and went straight to my JD dealer and I am into him for over $40K so far...probably the most expensive few hundred dollars that orange dealer ever got out of someone...

A good or bad dealer can make or break any tractor deal. Check out some of my recent good experiences with my JD dealer on the other threads, he has treated me right every step of the way and will continue to get my business for years to come. (BTW: If anyone is interested, it is Sirum Equipment in Montague Mass...great bunch of guys)

...but its not really a green versus orange thing, its a good business person versus a bad person thing, and good and bad people come in all colors.

/ Glad I own a JD #7  
Did you look at his forehead to see what was written on it? A dealer like that really runs me hot I see it all the time at the shop. People come in from other dealers that have really soaked them. There are plenty of customers out there that any dealer can charge a fair price and still make a ton of money. That way the customer is happy and the business makes money.
I can't understand why any dealer would soak a customer. Even if the customer is not smart enough to realize it he must talk to other people who do and just think how many possible customers this dealer loses and even worse how much revenue that he could make.
So tell me who is the stupid one? Not the customer he is just not well educated on tractors but in his field he might be a genius and who does that leave---the dealer.
Gordon

/ Glad I own a JD #9  
Thank you Mark after that post I had to take a break it wore my little pea brain right out!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Its a shame that there are dealers out there and not only in tractors it's everything!!!
Gordon

/ Glad I own a JD #10  
Gordon, I can't see why somebody would screw anybody. I am in construction and always think twice about the price I charge. One of the things I ask myself is "would I pay that much if it were being done for me?" I only ask for what is fair and have at times been able to soak a customer but don't. Rat...