Glow-in-the-dark wood

/ Glow-in-the-dark wood #1  

BXmark

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX2200
No kidding! I was camping down in Red River Gorge in Kentucky. I was chopping on a tree stump next to our camp with my hatchet. After dark, I was in our tent and noticed small glowing bits along the side of our tent. I thought they might be the "glow worms" I have heard of. Turns out they were small chips of wood that flew off that stump I was chopping on. The newly exposed wood on the stump was glowing an errie greenish color too. I tried bringing some wood chips back to show but they stopped glowing. I'm assuming it's some kind of fluorecent bacteria or fungus in the wood. Or is it supernatural! Anyone else ever see this phenomena?

/ Glow-in-the-dark wood #2  
Bxmark,
There would not happen to be a bottle of spirits involved in this trip, would there?/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

MarkV

/ Glow-in-the-dark wood #3  
I've noticed that wood glows in the dark when you put a match to it - but seriously, yes I have heard of bio-luminescent fungi. Try this site for a list of various bioluminescent organisms ...

/ Glow-in-the-dark wood #4  
BXMark,

I believe this is called Foxfire and is the result of a bioluminescent fungus in the decaying wood. When the wood dries the fungus dies and the light stops. Digging out, or chipping out fresh wet wood chips would do expose the fungus giving the glow of light.

Kevin

/ Glow-in-the-dark wood #5  
You didn't happen to be camping near a nuclear power plant or nuclear waste disposal site, now did ya? Were there any old storage drums standing around near the campsite?

:)

Anyway, pretty cool experience. Nature never ceases to amaze me. Mother nature is dazzling lady.....

Bill

/ Glow-in-the-dark wood #6  
Kevin,

Foxfire is what we called it here too. I've only seen one or two instances of it. (But that's probably because I'm rarely running around in the woods after dark without a flashlight.)
Never seen the whole stump glow, just small patches.

SHF

/ Glow-in-the-dark wood #7  
Yep. And as others posted, it's usually in decaying wood. So the fungus description would make sense. Another interesting phenomona is the bioluminescent plankton that can be seen when fishing offshore.

/ Glow-in-the-dark wood #8  
Mark, Isn't the Gorge a beautiful place to camp and hike?
I used to go there at least twice a month but haven't been for several years now. I looked at your profile but you don't list where you are from, do you live in KY? I am in Lawrenceburg, KY.

Matt

/ Glow-in-the-dark wood #9  
Wasnt this an eposode of the Xfiles? I think number of campers were killed by the green goo!!!!

MY mom named me Gary.