Glow Plugs ... "Do they get WeaK"?

/ Glow Plugs ... "Do they get WeaK"? #21  
Dave m7040,
I kind of think it is something to do with the 1500 series mf. I don't know anyone that has one that does not have issues with cold starting. And agco answer is a block heater. It is like agco you screwed up the design again, you pay to put the block heater. Everyone says I bash mf/agco but it is what it is. Can't rely on tractor in cold weather, but my 1970's allis Chalmers will go. It is a shame what mf has become.

/ Glow Plugs ... "Do they get WeaK"? #22  
Dave m7040,
I kind of think it is something to do with the 1500 series mf. I don't know anyone that has one that does not have issues with cold starting. And agco answer is a block heater. It is like agco you screwed up the design again, you pay to put the block heater. Everyone says I bash mf/agco but it is what it is. Can't rely on tractor in cold weather, but my 1970's allis Chalmers will go. It is a shame what mf has become.

The puzzling part is that Iseki, who makes the engine, it not a novice at diesel engines.

I have not taken the time to see what other brands of tractor use the same engine but to do so would be interesting. Suppose that brand of tractor with the same Iseki engine had a great cold start reputation....

Dave M7040

/ Glow Plugs ... "Do they get WeaK"?
And agco answer is a block heater.

The dealer, I spoke with said "it looked like a glow plug problem" and suggested new, $70 plugs and also recommended a block heater. Last winter the tractor always started, but was dirty and took awhile to smooth out. I believe, the new glow plugs have smoothed the start-up and made it cleaner. This morning was in the 30s and I used 15 seconds ... not bad, but 20 seconds, might have been better.

/ Glow Plugs ... "Do they get WeaK"?
One other thing, which I'll add: When I first got my tractor, I thought, "just turning the key to "on" (AC position), would energize the glow plugs". Shortly thereafter, I learned that the glow plug position was a spring loaded position, between AC and Start. Glow plugs are energized in this spring loaded position, as well as the Start position.

/ Glow Plugs ... "Do they get WeaK"? #25  
Hey guys, my 1529 has always started in the cold but does take a minute or so to clean up. I️ usually cycle the glow plugs for 30 sec. I️ have a magnetic oil pan heater that did improve things a little. I️ think an in-line coolant heater would help better. FYI I️ bought mine new so if something wasn’t right it came that way. Probably just something to do with this engine design. I’d take the dealers advice and put in a block or in-line coolant heater.

/ Glow Plugs ... "Do they get WeaK"? #26  
Here is the problem with a block heater. My father has a John Deere with a yanmar engine.he has had it running in sub-zero temperatures. We are having trouble getting our mf running in the cold. Agco solution is to install a block heater. I agree a block heater would help alot. They do not recommend popping one off with either, for fear of engine damage. Bottom line is agco is all but admitting the have marketed a tractor with cold starting issues. If this is the case, then agco needs to install it. They won't cause agco won't stand behind their tractor or its repair. They are the one's that market the tractor and they are the one's who need to supply the fix. Not us.

/ Glow Plugs ... "Do they get WeaK"? #27  
I️ agree with you on that. Agco should stand behind their product. I️ had an issue with the pto breaking shear pins in my brush hog at start even if engaged at idle. I️ contacted Agco and asked if they would install a soft start module that is in the 1531 model. They said they would at their cost. I’m surprised they won’t put in a block heater for you if it is a known issue.