Glyphosphate - application rate advice needed

/ Glyphosphate - application rate advice needed #1  

Retired and Free

Tractor
25 hp
too much drama and virtue signalling for a simple question, so I deleted it. Thanks to the one guy @npalen that actually answered my question.

have fun girls.

Last edited:
   / Glyphosphate - application rate advice needed #2  
your application is a little bit confusing to me as we work in metric here but here goes,

i generally spot spray gysophate 360 here at 15mm per litre for spot spraying as per the label for the more stubborn weeds in thoroughfares and rights of way,

broadspraying there are some good apps based on the Ml per hectare.

Any experience on the amount to apply? I can work out the carrier volume and tractor speed, but it’s not clear from the label how much product to apply.
you need to consider your nozzle flow rates and the boom width, this will give you the volume per min rate, , you generally match your tips with the volume/speed. make a spreadsheet up, its a lot easier with a spreadsheet, heres my sheed for amicide for example,
1662013102263.png

/ Glyphosphate - application rate advice needed
thanks, but that isn’t what Im asking. i am asking about amount of product that should be applied, not how to apply it, that is easy to figure out.

/ Glyphosphate - application rate advice needed #4  
thanks, but that isn’t what Im asking. i am asking about amount of product that should be applied, not how to apply it, that is easy to figure out.
If you are mixing a tank at 41% concentration you are probably doing it wrong. Post the manufacturers mixing instructions and your tank size.

Too much is a waste of money and bad for the environment. There is a soil residual when you spray. More passes is more bad.

It seems ironic to me to toxify the environment in order to plant "wild flowers". Kinda like using a harpoon gun to "save the whales".

Use a rototiller to cultivate the grass then seed your wildflower mix. No herbicide required.

Not mixing “a tank”, only what is needed.

/ Glyphosphate - application rate advice needed #6  
I am replacing 2400 Sq ft of lawn with a wildflower plot and trying to figure out how much gly is needed to kill the existing turf. I have read the label a dozen times and can’t make sense of it. One section states 2.5 oz for 300 square feet, but then another section indicates 3 qts per acre. It does compute. a 2.5 oz./300 sq feet rate works out to 20 oz for 2400 sq feet (which seems excessive). The 3qts / acre rate is roughly 6oz for 2400 sq feet. I’m applying it with a boom sprayer, if that matters, and using 41% gly.

Any experience on the amount to apply? I can work out the carrier volume and tractor speed, but it’s not clear from the label how much product to apply.

Also, if I miscalculate the carrier volume and have solution left in the tank after the first pass, is it safe to run over it on a second pass after the initial app has dried, or will it track across the lawn and damage non-target turf?
Retired and Free,
Mixing instructions on ALL products can be complicated ! First, I must say, I AM NOT AN EXPERT. Ok, now I can offer any experience I have: :)
There are (2) things that I always have to determine. First, how much water/solution am I putting out per sq/feet or acre, and secondly, what % of active ingredient for the target. I am going to assume since the area is ONLY 2400 sq/ft, your boom sprayer is a garden type with a mini- boom? If you are using a full size tractor / sprayer, I would say "YIKES, I would use a backpack /hand sprayer for that". I mean that is only about 50 ft x 50 ft ?

The exact calculations really depend on the rate (amount you are spraying) out of your tank. Give this a quick look see:

Hope this helps *some*.

/ Glyphosphate - application rate advice needed #7  
Yes, the recommended 2.5 oz/300 sqft is almost four times stronger than the recommended three quarts/acre and doesn't make sense. Just for reference, I used about 45 oz of the 41% in 15 gallons of water to spray 8,000 sqft and it got a very good kill in fescue. Probably could have used a weaker mix.

No harm in going over the desired kill area more than once, but don't track onto desired turf.

Yes, the recommended 2.5 oz/300 sqft is almost four times stronger than the recommended three quarts/acre and doesn't make sense. Just for reference, I used about 45 oz of the 41% in 15 gallons of water to spray 8,000 sqft and it got a very good kill in fescue. Probably could have used a weaker mix.

No harm in going over the desired kill area more than once, but don't track onto desired turf.
Thanks, this is exactly the information that I was looking for. I’ll scale back to 10 oz for 2400 sq feet. i could probably go a bit lower.

/ Glyphosphate - application rate advice needed #10  
What kind of grass are you trying to kill?