GMC 2500hd or 3500? boss or fisher plow? V or reg.

/ GMC 2500hd or 3500? boss or fisher plow? V or reg. #1  

ctc1111

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040
I'm purchasing a new plow truck for the busness. We rent office space to companies and we need a new plow truck. We have about a 50 space lot out back and a 20 up front. I'm just trying to fuiger out weather to go with the GMC 3500 or the GMC 2500HD. And if i should get a Boss Plow or a Fisher plow. I have a Fisher plow now and i hate it its the first minute mount system and it takes a good hour to put on. I am also wonder if i should go with the V plow or the normal straight plow. I'll probibly end up with a Boss cuase they look real nice.

/ GMC 2500hd or 3500? boss or fisher plow? V or reg. #2  
For the truck, unless you are getting Dual Rear Wheels, there is no pratical reason to get a 3500. All of the numbers are real close when equally equipped. Curb weight, and GVW is higher for the 3500 but has about the same payload and tow capacity as the 2500HD.

Get whichever you can get the better deal on and be happy.

Kurt

/ GMC 2500hd or 3500? boss or fisher plow? V or reg.
What about the plow, do you think i should go with a power V plow or a straight blade plow?

/ GMC 2500hd or 3500? boss or fisher plow? V or reg. #4  
Sorry, I can't help you with the plow, that job is what the tractor is for /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. But, make sure the truck you get has the snow plow prep package.

Kurt

/ GMC 2500hd or 3500? boss or fisher plow? V or reg. #5  
personally I would get the western V over the boss and fisher. I like trip edge vplows rather then full trip. and the western has a nicer mount over the fisher.

as for the truck I think you will be able to get a better deal on a 3500, but if you want a short bed you cannot get that on the 3500.

are the western's like the boss cause they look a lot alike.

/ GMC 2500hd or 3500? boss or fisher plow? V or reg. #7  
If you're buying new, the dealer will usually give a discount if you get a plow with the truck, which limits you to the plow brand the dealer has, which in our area is usually Fisher. Fisher made some improvements with the MM2, it's a little easier. Unless they've changed again, there is no GM 1 ton single rear wheel. Seems like the most economical would be 3/4 ton and 8' plow. I always wondered about the v plows, but they're heavier and more expensive.

I have already talked to the dealer and have everything with the truck fuigered out for a 3500 single wheel, now i just need to order it to make it final.

As for the plow, i belive for a boss its an extra 400 to 900 dollars for a V plow.

Dose anyone or has anyone owned a V plow?

/ GMC 2500hd or 3500? boss or fisher plow? V or reg. #9  
Collin -- Up in my part of New England the most popular plow rig is the new Blizzard plow with wings on a 3/4 ton. V plows are still used cutting trails to remote locations like deer camps, but locally have fallen out of favor. The Blizzard is an 8 foot plow with retractable wings angled forward a bit. It lets you pull snow away from buildings, walls, ditches etc. They were new last year when I was in the market so I went for a straight plow...and boy do I regret it now!

For more answers from the experts post your question on Plow Site

Pete

/ GMC 2500hd or 3500? boss or fisher plow? V or reg. #10  
I got the chance to use a V plow and I think it was a Boss. I also used it to plow out parking lots. The real cool thing about this one is that you could "v" it like a scoop and it worked great for doing the larger parking lots since you could almost scoop the snow and push it across the lot rather than just pushing off to one side. Really worked sweet.

I tend to like the Fords but we do have an 05 3500 4x4 Duramax with the Allison trany at work and I really like that set up but it would be poor for plowing since it is so big and long.

Have fun.

Rob