Gmc recall alert (also posted in safety)

/ Gmc recall alert (also posted in safety) #11  
We have done more of these blower motor resistor/harness special policies than I can count at our dealership and I have never seen one catch fire. They will get hot, they will melt the harness and loose speeds on the motor, but I have never seen one burn. It does scare people though when they smell it.

/ Gmc recall alert (also posted in safety)
We have done more of these blower motor resistor/harness special policies than I can count at our dealership and I have never seen one catch fire. They will get hot, they will melt the harness and loose speeds on the motor, but I have never seen one burn. It does scare people though when they smell it.

I can respect that but please respect the fact that I know a thing or two about fires and how they start/progress. Without my intervention I can guarantee that it was going up.

/ Gmc recall alert (also posted in safety) #13  
Before all of the GM haters get all excited, Ford had a similar recall. I had a '96 contour that had some melted wires to the radiator blower motors. I scoured the junkyards (it was beater and was not about to buy a new harness from Ford) and all of the ones I looked at were almost the same. I finally found a usable one that I had to splice the different connectors onto only to find that the blower motors didn't come on. I found out they had a recall on this and took to the Ford dealer and they changed the motors for free, even though it had like 110,000 miles. So while Ford did make a mistake, I gotta admit that they did handle it well.

/ Gmc recall alert (also posted in safety) #14  
Before all of the GM haters get all excited, Ford had a similar recall. I had a '96 contour that had some melted wires to the radiator blower motors. I scoured the junkyards (it was beater and was not about to buy a new harness from Ford) and all of the ones I looked at were almost the same. I finally found a usable one that I had to splice the different connectors onto only to find that the blower motors didn't come on. I found out they had a recall on this and took to the Ford dealer and they changed the motors for free, even though it had like 110,000 miles. So while Ford did make a mistake, I gotta admit that they did handle it well.

Don't forget the Ford cruise control units.

Chris

/ Gmc recall alert (also posted in safety) #16  
I can respect that but please respect the fact that I know a thing or two about fires and how they start/progress. Without my intervention I can guarantee that it was going up.

i had an alternator plug on a 90 ford tbird catch on fire.. new alt came with a new plug. was coming back from beach.. smoke roleld out from under hood.. digital dash started blinking.. I pulled into an auto store and popped hood... fire! store manager ran out with a fire extinguisher! tow truck pulled in and jumped out with a wire cutter and cut the wires off the al as it kept starting the fire back up.

store gave me a good deal on an alt and tow truck driver gave me a good deal on a tow.

was my lucky day for a car fire i guess. :)

that was years ago mind you.

only other car fire I had was an audi that had the battery under the back seat. again.. coming home from beach.. some metal portion of underwire in cushions somehow rubbed a wire thru and made smoke... was an easy fix with a floormat.. :)

/ Gmc recall alert (also posted in safety)
i had an alternator plug on a 90 ford tbird catch on fire.. new alt came with a new plug. was coming back from beach.. smoke roleld out from under hood.. digital dash started blinking.. I pulled into an auto store and popped hood... fire! store manager ran out with a fire extinguisher! tow truck pulled in and jumped out with a wire cutter and cut the wires off the al as it kept starting the fire back up.

store gave me a good deal on an alt and tow truck driver gave me a good deal on a tow.

was my lucky day for a car fire i guess. :)

that was years ago mind you.

only other car fire I had was an audi that had the battery under the back seat. again.. coming home from beach.. some metal portion of underwire in cushions somehow rubbed a wire thru and made smoke... was an easy fix with a floormat.. :)

You obviously should stop going to the beach! Lol

/ Gmc recall alert (also posted in safety) #18  
weird now that I think about it. 2 car faires.. both beach related. ;)

/ Gmc recall alert (also posted in safety) #19  
My friends 75 Camaro had a fire in the console, we think from the neutral safety switch. Bought Hotdogs, car was burned to a crisp.

/ Gmc recall alert (also posted in safety) #20  
I have replaced 3 on my dads 10 year old 100k truck and the third is bad now. On the last one I bypassed the more expensive Chevy one and got one from NAPA that I had to modify to fit , but worked fine. That is bad now