Goats

/ Goats #12  
Eddie, If you do not know what to do with them you are not going to bother. You have quoted the first rule of a potential livestock owner, so the rest will fall into place easily.

I kept about 80 Angoras in Australia and about 15-20 meat does here. The Angoras ran with the cattle over 3000 acres, plus the neighbours' or down the road when they felt like it. Pigs and kangaroos meant fences were far from goat proof. Here goats are the only four legged stock. No matter how good the fence a determined goat will climb or jump it. I have had bucks jump a standard farm gate. I have also seen a doe get over a 5' wall by "bouncing" off a nearby tank to get leverage for the extra height. I had been wondering how she was getting out. Obviously I cannot answer your question about local marketing, and mine go direct to an abattoir because there are no auctions, and private buyers always try to screw you down and waste your time. At least direct to an abattoir I get the going market rate - good or bad. I also choose the sale date and do not have tyre-kicking would goat eaters or parsimonious buyers visiting when it is not convenient.

I assume you have not previously kept goats, so a simple rule is that they are basically browsers which will graze frequently. They are creatures of habit and in Australia I expected mine to visit the alfalfa fields every afternoon for a couple of hours. If they did not I knew they had gone a-wandering. It is essential to house them every night here because of uncontrolled dogs from various villages a few miles away. Pigs, foxes, mongooses, martens, etc. will take little ones. Any bigger predators, including I guess all members of the dog family, will take adults. I give them a small amount of grain or concentrate in feeders in their night shed. They either see me and come running, or a whistle and they then come running.

My experience is contrary to tcreeley, and I find they will not bare a pasture (mainly because they are, contrary to general opinion, fussy eaters) and will leave a reasonable amount of growth unless they are forced into eating it. They are more likely to break out first. They will never totally clear scrub, always leaving something to regrow, or you to clear up, but they will make great inroads and let you clear a patch much easier than if you had not used them. I would not attempt to keep them unless you have a lot more browse than grass. Just a personal opinion and I am sure there are many goats kept solely on pasture. They will eat a lot of prunings (fantastic for utilising olive that would otherwise have to be burnt) including twigs, anything up to an inch if palatable, and the bark of bigger stuff. They will also ringbark trees if they take a liking to the taste.

If you do decide to go ahead, have a look too at Angoras for their fleece. I like the breed, Texas has some outstanding animals, you can keep the wethers too, and it is a lovely fibre. It might suit you better than having to market small numbers of animals on a regular basis.

/ Goats #13  
Eddie, take a look at this Website. You will find the current prices for slaughter goats. Hamilton Commission Company: Home
Goats do not eat the same plants as cows, that makes them an excellent grazing partners with cattle. Goats eat the rough stuff, cattle eat the grasses. Your pastures will look great!

Bethelhntr, what you described is called urinary calculi. It is a buildup of calcium in the urinary tract and yes, it will kill a goat. It afflicts primarily male goats and is caused by eating too much corn. If you check, you will probably find that your parents feed their goats lots of it. Read up on it Urinary Calculi in Goats

/ Goats #14  
I had a goat farm for almost 20 years. Sold all the milk we could produce labeled as pet food. Made cheese every night and sold all we had. Also sold breeding stock. Kept the best and ate the rest. Excess meat sold to middle east ethnic community. At one point we milked 40. A lot of work that is a happy time in past. It can be done but is a great way to spend more than you make.

/ Goats
Thank you everyone. This is something we are planning on for the long term. The land is partially cleared with an area of wide open pasture, open trees and thick woods. It's the type of land where everything grows like crazy there and if it's not mowed a couple times a year, it becomes thick jungle.

For fencing I'm going to use a 4 foot high tensile goat fence with a hot wire at the bottom and another at the top for a total height of five feet. There will be a few cows in there too.

There are some groups on FB that we have been following, which is probably why I asked the question here. Seems like everybody is either raising them for pets or to compete in shows. Thousand dollar goats just don't make any sense. $3,000 is just crazy, but they are out there, or at least that's what people are asking for them. I don't believe the butcher cares if a goat has won any shows or how many points it has. So that's what I'm trying to figure out. What is the market?

At $2 a pound, there isn't much money in it, so we know that already. For what the fence is going to cost, it doesn't make financial sense. But that's not really the point. :)

Eddie

/ Goats #16  
Eddie,
I don't have goats but from what I know about them I wouldn't do any more clearing of the pasture, the goats will do that for you. There is actually a guy around here that rents out his goats for brush clearing.

I would check on your local craigslist to see what goats are going for. I have heard if you list a meat goat for sale, Hispanic people will come and buy them live and do all the butchering themselves.

Good luck.

/ Goats #17  
I thought about goats, but as bad as my fences are, I already have the cows on the honor system. Goats may break the honor code.

/ Goats #18  
As someone else mentioned - milk and cheese. A friend at school was recommended goat milk as an alternative to cow's milk to help control skin complaints - and personally I like the cheese though it can be an acquired taste.

As for fencing, laws may differ in US but in UK it is not uncommon to tether a goat - i.e. fit it with a collar and secure it with a long chain to a stake. Obviously you need to move the stake and in US I guess you may need to protect against predators - but it saves on fencing.

J

/ Goats #19  
The price you pay depends upon the breed, primarily, and where you buy it. If all you want to do is use them for land clearing and occasionally slaughter then consider buying mixed breeds at the local livestock auction. You can expect to pay, depending upon the breed anywhere from $50 to $150 per head for does and $150 to $400 for bucks. One bit of advice, if you are serious about raising goats, don't go the cheap route on your buck.

The largest breeds for meat production are the Boer, Kiko and Texmaster. Dairy goats is a whole different prospect, much more work involved, they need to be milked daily and need more facilities. Dairy goats are Alpine, Nubian, Saanen, etc.

Spanish are raised for meat, they are hardy, disease resistant but not as large as the other three breeds mentioned. Spanish are probably the least costly to buy.

Now, one thing you need to understand, no one ever got rich raising goats. But, you will reach the point where they will pay their own way. We have been there for about the last five years. That simply means, the money we make from selling them pays for the feed and vet bills each year. The real payoff is they allow us to qualify for the Ag tax exemption.

We have been raising goats for 15 or 16 years. They do grow on you and your wife will fall in love with the kids. When that happens, you will always have goats.:rolleyes:

/ Goats
No interest in milking anything. As for land clearing, that's more of a side benefit. They will never clear out enough of the jungle to give me more pasture grass, which is our ultimate goal. We want to have about a dozen cows. Goats will be a bonus animal that we will add for diversity and entertainment. Selling them as meat animals makes the most sense to me since that is the only practical way we will ever make a buck on them. Spend two dollars to make one dollar. :)

It looks like there is a place in Athens that you can buy and sell animals, and the slaughterhouse is in Waco and Hamilton.

Thank you,
Eddie