Going Country

/ Going Country #1  

Valhalla

My father has had a tractor all his life and I should know something about them but I don't. I joined the Air Force and left the farm over 20 years ago. I'm retiring and bought 20 acres and want/need a tractor. I want the minimums. Minimum price and minimum horsepower to do the job. 5 of the 20acres is a lake and the other 15 acres is a hay field with only 10 trees on the and no brush on the entire property. I want to forest the entire property and leave lot size yard around the house. I will primarily use the tractor to mow (mow even less as I plant trees) to include a fairly steep lake dam, push snow from a 100 yard drive, and dig a handful of holes for fence corner posts. I like the Montana because of the features and price.

What is the minimum size Montana tractor that will suit my needs?

Can a finishing mower make a lawn look as good as a lawnmower?

Thanks for your help,
CW

/ Going Country #2  
What kinda trees are you planting? Are you gonna mow between them? If so you might wanna go smaller. Like below that would probably do all you need.

2007 MONTANA 2740 Less than 40 HP For Sale At TractorHouse.com

Although, everyone will tell you to buy the biggest you can afford and most times I agree with that. You probably however from what i'm hearing don't need over a 50Hp tractor.

As far as mowing, if your using a 6' finishing mower behind your tractor, I think they do a nice job mowing if you have a large unobstructed yard. It takes me 3 hours to ride mow my yard with a 42" lawnmower. I have about a 2-3 acre yard, but it has lots of planted gardens and trees. I don't think you could get a tractor around it well no matter the size. I have a deal with my neighbor, I cut his small field (5-8 acres) of hay, he keeps the hay and he mows my yard with his 55" cut zero turn. Works well for both of us. If for some reason we stop this arrangement, I know i'm gonna have to spend the money $3-6k for a quality lawn mower. Not sure my junky poulan 42" can do the job.

Good luck

/ Going Country
The trees will primarily be hybrid poplars. There will be two staggered rows with 15 feet separation around the perimeter of the property. I will randomly (no rows) plant local hard wood trees with the tallest species along the poplar perimeter and gradually decrease species height as the plantings get closer to the home/lake. Small fruit and flowering trees will be the center most trees.

Thanks for the advice with the mowing. I will have to get me a nice zero turn radius mower too. Could I go as small as a Montana 2740 and get by if all I am doing is blading snow and mowing?

Thanks again for your help

/ Going Country #4  
I would think so, I have a 4344 and push its limits occasionally when working it, but If i were just going to work around the house, the small tractors would be perfect.
Oh, I'm retired AF too, Crew Chief on RF-4C, T-38a's KC-135 a's and r's, ICBM Facility Manager.
2.5 years Germany, 6 Years Williamf AFB AZ., 11 years Minot AFB ND.

/ Going Country
Thanks for the "HP versus needs" advice. While Montana tractors are priced nice, I am still looking to minimize cost and checking out used International Harvester tractors like IH384. There is something very appealling about a recent ad I saw for a IH384 tractor, a disc, a plow, a finishing mower, a brush hog, and loader ALL for under $10,000. I saw a similar ad for the another IH384 with fewer implements for $8,500. I know I would not have a warranty buying used, but will consider used vs new options before shelling out the bucks.

BTW, I was an ICBM Missile Maintenance Officer at Malmstrom AFB so I know all about Facility Manager's at Military Alert Facilities. I crossed trained into AWACS and now teach AFROTC at a state university.