Gonna get a new Kubota

/ Gonna get a new Kubota #21  
I would like to second OLDOAK in recommending Kubota's optional SSQA heavy-duty, round-back bucket for your granite conditions.

I had a standard bucket on my first Kubota. Nothing wrong with it but I had to baby it at times. The SSQA heavy-duty, round-bucket seems to be indestructible. ( in Florida conditions )

SSQA = Skid Steer Quick Attach = tractor industry standard fit.

Last edited:
   / Gonna get a new Kubota #22  
I have 80 acres and a mile long gravel driveway. I started out with a new Ford 1700 4WD in 1982 when we moved here. I kept it until 2009 when I upgraded to my M6040. The Ford did all I wanted to do for the first 27 years and then with most all the small project completed - I upgraded so I could tackle the larger projects. Rather than granite - I've got basaltic lava here. Makes little difference - both are harder than most any equipment can tackle.

I've never had a backhoe attachment - never needed nor wanted one. I'll get it done with the rear blade or front bucket and use the money for other attachments. Both my tractors have been/are open station - there have been times, in the winter, when a cab would have been nice but I enjoy being out in the open air too much. I tend to think that at times I might be a little claustrophobic - so cabbed tractors have never really appealed to me.

I retired at age 50 which was 24 years ago and I've had all the time in the world to complete most all tasks around here. I've never had to consider the faster way - just the easier, safer, better way.

My land is the direct opposite of a flat Iowa corn field. I have 40' to 60' vertical basalt cliffs that drop directly into my five acre lake that is 80 feet deep. I have valleys and draws that could only be crossed with a helicopter. Spring time is REALLY a wet time around here and best you stay off the land with anything other than an ATV - I learned the hard way on that. This area I live in is called the Basaltic Scabrock lands and not without good reason.

Anyhow - the larger tractor has allowed me to move some of my larger rocks, move larger chunks of Ponderosa pine and is definitely more stable as I wend my way between valley and draws - across water filled moats and onto/across some of my high plateau lands. It will drag larger stuff, push bigger stuff and definitely make a larger scar on the land if one is not careful.

The perfect sized tractor is seldom found - everything becomes some form of compromise - just don't attempt tasks that are too dangerous with the equipment you have at hand.

/ Gonna get a new Kubota #23  
Maybe get a heavier tractor like a L4060 or MX4800 and rent a mini ex when needed, or It's a vicious cycle to balance it all.

:thumbsup:

What I learned with my first & only backhoe (small tractor size) was the 5-6-7' digging depth was fine for my depth requirements, but a b/h is used for way more tasks other than digging ditches. This is where reach and swing comes into play and heavily favors even the smallest mini ex. With the short reach of a CUT hoe, constant repositioning is necessary and you will be having troubles doing your pond work.

/ Gonna get a new Kubota #24  
I would like to second OLDOAK in recommending Kubota's optional SSQA heavy-duty, round-back bucket for your granite conditions.

I had a standard bucket on my first Kubota. Nothing wrong with it but I had to baby it at times. The SSQA heavy-duty, round-bucket seems to be indestructible.

SSQA = Skid Steer Quick Attach = tractor industry standard fit.
Not quite ndestructible, but better than std. bucket.
I have about 100 Lbs of reinforcement welded and bolted on mine, sides & top plate, and bottom scraper. It has stood up well

Attachments

• 20161120_121841 (1280x768).jpg
    20161120_121841 (1280x768).jpg
    919.7 KB · Views: 145
  • Esco-18Tvc-E18Tvc-Bucket-Tiger-Teeth.jpg
    Esco-18Tvc-E18Tvc-Bucket-Tiger-Teeth.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 109
   / Gonna get a new Kubota #25  
I would recommend you look into a Kubota L47 tlb with full hydraulic options and topntilt hitch and a heavy duty box blade. This is not a cheap purchase but would be a very good size for shaping and forming your landscape. The rest of the attachments I would add as needed and could afford them.

There is a huge difference in durability and capability between buying an agricultural fel and an industrial fel. Same is true for the backhoe and box blade. An L47 with full hydraulic options can handle just about anything you would need to add later without having to rework the hydraulics. I am constantly seeing people trying to add extra hydraulics to their tractors here on TBN, you can get an L47 and skip all of that.

This is the ideal size machine to landscape your 15 acres as you have the time and inclination to take on projects. I have done a lot of this work with my 110tlb and have a very good knowledge of what the L47 is capable of. After owning the 110 for 12 years now this size and type tlb was a very good decision.

/ Gonna get a new Kubota #26  
VT Steel,

Looks like we are neighbors. I live right on the Barre/Plainfield town line. I have 11 acres with hills and run a L3010.

/ Gonna get a new Kubota #27  
I'm new to the site, and in the process of making a very similar move. I've got a smaller property, but a lot of work to do in order to clean up what was neglected prior to our purchase and maintain it going forward. I was on the fence between the L3301 and L3901, recognizing the only difference was engine horsepower. I then decided to move up to the L4701. As its been said many times, "you'll never regret great going bigger." I tend to ask a lot of my equipment, tools and vehicles, and like to take care of them since they take good care of me. Instead of thinking that the 3901 will do, and I can probably make things work, why not go to the 4701 and know for certain? Stronger and bigger machine, more weight, more capability and more durable in the long run from not being pushed too hard to do the same things that a smaller tractor might struggle with ( I'm a little less likely to break it that way.)
Some other suggestions mentioned the skid steer QA bucket upgrade. It's standard on the 4701, as is cruise control if you're going with the hydrostatic transmission. I also like the slightly larger hydraulic pump capacity for additional implements using the remote hydraulics.
I would like a backhoe as well, but can't quite swallow the $7k price tag. I might consider the Titan 3 Point backhoe attachment since I wouldn't need it too often and wouldn't stress it much. It's also half the price.

Those are my thoughts. Hopefully they help a little. Good luck!

/ Gonna get a new Kubota #28  
Hi all. So after my wife gave me a little matchbox tractor for Christmas and told me to go get a real one (I think she's calling my bluff about all the thing I tell her I'd do if I only had a bigger tractor), I've been busy reading up on tractors, attachment, and everything else. There's a ton of good advice here and I'm about ready to bite the bullet on a new Kubota.We have 15 acres in hilly Vermont with a small pond (hoping to make into a bigger one), long driveway, a nice little sugar bush for syrup, firewood, and lumber, a fair amount of field, and a lot of granite. With work and kids, I don't get as much time as I would like to play/work, but hit it pretty hard when I can.I am flipping between the L3901 and the L4701 to compliment the little JD GX335 we have. I'm planning on getting a loader, backhoe, tiller, box scraper, brush hog, and back blade. It's about $40k for the L3901 and $50k for the L4701.

Sounds to me like you would be better served with one of the Kubota TLB's. Add in the backhoe thumb and the 3 point kit and you'd be in great shape. Might as well take a look at the L39 and L45 before you decide. For safety, the TLBs feature a full surround ROPS.

BTW, it's a good idea to widen the stance with any tractor for even very modest hillside use.
Luck, rScotty

rScotty

/ Gonna get a new Kubota #29  
I really like my L4701 for my smaller piece of property. I think it would be fine. I looked at the MX series when I bought my latest tractor. As has been said the price wasn't much different. I just did not like the MX tractors. Probably just personal preference but I liked the 3 point linkage components on the L4701 better than the MX4800. The 3 point lift capacity was not any different. I also wanted the slightly smaller tractor for getting in tighter spaces to mow.

/ Gonna get a new Kubota #30  
I bought a backhoe for my tractor because a neighbor helped me clear out a fallen tree with his mini-ex. That thing had a lot of power for such a small machine. However, all he could do was dig, push, and pick things up. My tractor WITH a backhoe does not dig as fast, is more of a pain to move, but it enables me to do much the same that his mini-ex could do plus so much more. When loading my dump cart with stones that weighed over 100 lbs a piece, the back hoe was so much easier with the hydraulic thumb. I don't have the ability to hang around the house and keep busy while I wait for a rental company or a contractor to come do my work. When I can get something done, I want my equipment there and ready. So, I paid for the convenience and am glad I did. Large tree stumps get dug out now rather than hoping they rot quickly and I am not tending a fire all day. An FEL is a poor substitute for a backhoe. An FEL with a grapple is a wonderful thing after a bad storm when trees fall over. Maybe I use the BH only a dozen times per year, but calculate that dozen times per year over five years versus rentals factoring in the fetch and deliver time. Works for me!