Gonna have to put a chicken down

/ Gonna have to put a chicken down #1  

General Lee

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, L4400, BX1870
I know its just chicken, but as I get older I respect animal life a bit more. Plus I only had 5 and lost one last year due to being egg bound. This current one is also showing signs of being egg bound. The first one last year I let her ride it out hoping she'd pass the blockage but after a few weeks I found her dead. I don't want this one to suffer like that. Both are/were Rhode Island Reds

They get to walking like a penguin real low to the ground. Won't move around much, tail feathers drooped and just an overall depressed /sick look.

/ Gonna have to put a chicken down #2  
i think this is caused by a calcium deficiency. if you can isolate the hen and give her water and oyster shell only she may recover.

/ Gonna have to put a chicken down #4  
We raised R Reds when I was a boy. We always gave calcium supplements year round to our Reds to prevent this. It may be too late for this one, but start supplements on the rest of them NOW.

/ Gonna have to put a chicken down #5  
I know its just chicken, but as I get older I respect animal life a bit more. Plus I only had 5 and lost one last year due to being egg bound. This current one is also showing signs of being egg bound. The first one last year I let her ride it out hoping she'd pass the blockage but after a few weeks I found her dead. I don't want this one to suffer like that. Both are/were Rhode Island Reds

They get to walking like a penguin real low to the ground. Won't move around much, tail feathers drooped and just an overall depressed /sick look.

Sorry to here about your pet. Yes it's a chicken, however, I understand it can be hard to let a pet continue to suffer hoping it will get better. If you feel there is no hope than
you have to do the right thing and put it out of it's misery. I had a old Rooster called him Roho, he was a mean s.o.b., but I liked the old bird, he became old and sick
and I let him lay there in the barn , he wouldn't take water or feed. He knew it was time to go but i hoped he would snap out of it and get better. Well I thought about it and
after a few days I came to the conclusion I was letting him suffer for my own selfish reasons.
I hope all goes well for you. Good luck.

/ Gonna have to put a chicken down #6  
That's tough man. We have 7 Easter Eggers, 2 Australorps, 2 Barred Plymouth Rocks, and an Easter Egg Rooster (Norman;doesn't know he was supposed to be a hen) in the coop. We have 3 Black Copper Marans and 3 Lavender Orpington pullets that will be joining Norman's flock soon. They all have different personalities and I don't care if they are livestock and are producers, it doesn't make it any easier when one is sick or dies.

It is humane to cull them so that they don't suffer; do the right thing; whatever you decide is right.

/ Gonna have to put a chicken down #7  
Sometimes we have to do hard things, I hate it but over the years I've learned to do what I have to. Good luck with your situation.

/ Gonna have to put a chicken down #8  
That's tough. I would cull her to end her suffering. We give the crushed egg shells back to our chickens.

Last edited:
   / Gonna have to put a chicken down #9  
My heartfelt thoughts are with your chicken. I don't understand how anyone could ever eat their own livestock, never mind enjoying it.

/ Gonna have to put a chicken down #10  
First off, sorry to hear about your chicken.

I feel your pain, I raised all mine from chicks, mine are at the age there ready to be killed and replaced with younger chicks but I can't bring myself to do it. I have sold some to down size but have no plans of killing any.

My cattle are the same way, I have had only 4 and took one in to the butcher so far, it felt like dropping a dog off to the pound, very sad and I felt like I made a mistake while taking him in. I sold all the meat and wasn't able to keep any but the 3 that's left I feel will be harder to take in because I have had them the longest.

I learned about the native Americans in school, I learned about how they greatly respected the animals they took to eat, they thanked the animal for its sacrifice and respected the animal enough to not waste any of it.

The grocery store makes things so distant, we never meet the animal that lived and died for our nourishment.

I totally understand the native Americans views now, I have lots of respect for my livestock. I will remember them when there gone and will be thankful they were put here for my needs.

Different animals provide for different needs, my dog brings me great joy and happiness, he's always ready to play no matter how my day went. My chickens give me breakfast everyday and my cattle gives me the protein my muscles need.

I would never value an animals life over a mans, but in a way I respect my animals more than most people. They have/will make the greatest sacrifice so I can continue to live on this earth. Good luck buddy.