Good deal on Woods Batwing?

/ Good deal on Woods Batwing?
Around here a $6-7K 15' batwing would be pretty much a rusted pile of junk. Local dealer had 2 HX-15's that looked terrible and they were over 8K. This thing looks like it was used maybe 10-20 times.

/ Good deal on Woods Batwing? #22  
last year a local dealer still had a new rhino on the lot for $9500 but gone now.where ya from.i think you done good getting the f550 i hope the 6.4 holds up.i have a f450 that has the 7.3,i got rid of my big trucks cause that is all i need.it can handle light and heavy haul'in.

/ Good deal on Woods Batwing? #23  
Cowski,

That's about what I figured, too. As I said previously, I was just asking if $8,000 was a good deal for the mower, not if my 70 HP tractor would run it under all conditions. A bigger (120HP) tractor is in my future and this mower is more for that tractor.

so your tractor is 70 engine hp, and 60 pto?

wow.. what a drop. I take it it is not a straight geared unit, but perhaps a hst, or some kind of powershift?

i'm used to the older gear trans units that have 3 usually and 5hp difference at most betweencankshaft and pto shaft .. etc..

soundguy

/ Good deal on Woods Batwing? #24  
so your tractor is 70 engine hp, and 60 pto?

wow.. what a drop. I take it it is not a straight geared unit, but perhaps a hst, or some kind of powershift?

i'm used to the older gear trans units that have 3 usually and 5hp difference at most betweencankshaft and pto shaft .. etc..

soundguy

Then again, maybe the specs are more realistic than the old claims (unless you got the data from the Nebraska Power Tests). My Kubota M9540 is speced at 95 hp, 84 pto, that's with a gear shift.

Ken

/ Good deal on Woods Batwing? #25  
nebraska power tests...
i'll take their word for it.

soundguy

70 engine
62-64 PTO
TractorData.com Kubota M7040 tractor information

I guess only real world testing would tell, but Woods claims the BW-180 will run on 45 PTO HP.
It's not like I'm 45 PTO. I have 62 more PTO HP than their minimum. Granted, they want to sell their product, but it would be pretty chitty to sucker a guy into buying a 15' pretty much non-returnable batwing if his 45PTO HP tractor won't run it.

Last edited:
   / Good deal on Woods Batwing? #28  
Huh....I never knew this but Woods also makes a light duty, low horesepower 15' Batwing called the BW 15 "LH" (Low horesepower) Made for tractors with only 40 PTO HP. Only has 900 lbs of tongue weight, too.

I'll bet that's light duty alright.....only for sparsely vegetated pastures? Or if you mow every other week? I can't imagine my M5040 cutting a field with a 15' batwing although it would be nice if it really worked.

Ken

I'll bet that's light duty alright.....only for sparsely vegetated pastures? Or if you mow every other week?

It's light duty, but still rated for 1.5" material. http://www.woodsequipment.com/rotarycutterdetail.aspx?id=18940&ekmensel=41a6502d_221_251_18940_4

I can't imagine my M5040 cutting a field with a 15' batwing although it would be nice if it really worked.

Ken

What makes you think it wouldn't?
I was floored to see my little BX-2200 run my 90" finish mower through 6" tall grass. Owners manual said 20 PTO and it only has 17 PTO HP.

I'm not saying you can cut 2-5 foot tall stuff, but some do like to maintain their fields more often.

Last edited:
   / Good deal on Woods Batwing? #30  
What makes you think it wouldn't?
I was floored to see my little BX-2200 run my 90" finish mower through 6" tall grass. Owners manual said 20 PTO and it only has 17 PTO HP.

I'm not saying you can cut 2-5 foot tall stuff, but some do like to maintain their fields more often.

There is a big difference between a finish mower and a rotary cutter (bush hog) and an 8' mower and a 15' one.

The general rule of thumb is 5hp per foot. Even if you pushed that down to 4 hp per ft, a 15' hog would required 60 hp. 40 hp for a 15 footer would be less than 3 hp per foot. Very likely to be a disappointment for the vast majority of people.

I'm running 85hp PTO and a 15' bogs it down sometimes.

Ken