Dealer Good Dealer?

/ Good Dealer? #1  

GirlWhoWantsTractor

Platinum Member
Tractor
2018 Mahindra 26XL HST, Husqv GT48XLsi & YTH48LS
Visited a dealer who has been in the area for a long time and has good Google ratings (for whatever that's worth). Have used them for service on other machines and they have been responsive, if not perfect. Seems like their primary business is lawn equipment, with tractors as a sideline.

Owner (also one of the mechanics judging by the grease under his fingernails) is generally very knowledgable about tractors...but I was surprised that he didn't seem to get why anyone would ask for a hydraulic top link, or for extra remotes. Also in our very mountainous area, he stated no one ever asked for filled tires and so they did not offer this service. Also, all of the new implements for sale were outside (not unusual I guess) but were extremely rusty, including the moving parts (pins and sliding bits for hooking them up).

Is any of this cause for concern? Next nearest dealer is over an hour away.

Thanks!

/ Good Dealer? #2  
I am in the minority here, but when I pay new equipment prices I want equipment in pristine condition.

My tractor and utility vehicle are stored in my garage. Our two cars, lesser beings, sit in the driveway.

My implements are next door, stored on the ground under cotton-canvas tarps which allow condensation to evaporate.

Filling rear tires with liquid is pretty easy, say I, who has read about it here, but never filled a tire. Requires a dedicated <$10 valve for the tire stem.

VIDEO: loading tractor tires - YouTube

/ Good Dealer? #3  
Jeffy,
Little ironry or hypocrisy here? When the fellow w/ some surface rust on tractor, purchased out of state, you invoked some obscure latin phrase, translated to "tough luck."

Guess it depends upon who is actually writing the check.

Regarding tire ballast, let us remember the necessary pump, and two valves are necessary or desired. The tube, requires a liquid fill stem and a secondary valve to bleed air as the tire fills, advice is best coupled w/ experience.

And filling the tire may be "easy", I never thought as such, but lifting and remounting a 500 lb tire,rim, ballast, maybe not so much.

Last edited:
   / Good Dealer? #4  
NO - I don't think Jeff is in the minority. I don't worry about an implement with a scratch here or there from shipping or moving. HOWEVER - extremely rusty??? I do not like that. I don't need to be paying for "pre-rusted implements". If I want rusty implements - I'll let them rust AFTER I've bought them - thank you.

I find this rather hard to say BUT - if you don't get a good feeling from the dealer before you purchase a tractor - its probably not going to happen afterwards either.

This may not be the place where you want to do business. He doesn't understand filled tires, hydraulic top links, extra remotes and probably will wonder why you want the rear tires set as wide as possible.

Personally - I want a dealer that will willingly work with me - on future purchases, answering questions/concern and importantly - service. I will shy away from a dealer that only deals with me because he has to( I bought something from him). With proper maintenance - a new tractor will last a very long time and be good - so should the relationship with the dealer.

/ Good Dealer?
Well my concern was not necessarily how hard it would be for ME to fill a tire, but how alarming is the dealer's lack of familiarity with these common add-ons?:

1. hydraultic top link
2. extra remotes
3. filled tires

One last thing, lot was filled with 2017 shuttles, showing a little paint fade on some. Only one 2018 (HST). More are on order. Maybe he wanted to sell the old ones first, and shuttles didn't sell well here?

/ Good Dealer?
NO - I don't think Jeff is in the minority. I don't worry about an implement with a scratch here or there from shipping or moving. HOWEVER - extremely rusty??? I do not like that. I don't need to be paying for "pre-rusted implements". If I want rusty implements - I'll let them rust AFTER I've bought them - thank you.
Yeah, maybe I'm picky but that's how I feel. However, with the offered deal, three implements are basically free.

I find this rather hard to say BUT - if you don't get a good feeling from the dealer before you purchase a tractor - its probably not going to happen afterwards either.
Always had a very good feeling before--they've been servicing our other equipment for a few years. Just this last visit to look at tractors got me thinking.

This may not be the place where you want to do business. He doesn't understand filled tires, hydraulic top links, extra remotes and probably will wonder why you want the rear tires set as wide as possible.

Personally - I want a dealer that will willingly work with me - on future purchases, answering questions/concern and importantly - service. I will shy away from a dealer that only deals with me because he has to( I bought something from him). With proper maintenance - a new tractor will last a very long time and be good - so should the relationship with the dealer.

They are willing to work with us. Very nice people. Just puzzled why he wasn't familiar with these common add-ons. (Perhaps they're not that common; as a newbie, I lack perspective on how to judge these things.) Which is why I'm asking y'all.

/ Good Dealer? #7  
Girl - If you feel they will work with you - then I'd say you probably will have a good experience. Face it - he's probably never dealt with a woman with your knowledge and knows exactly what she wants. It can be just a little intimidating.

/ Good Dealer? #8  
Visited a dealer who has been in the area for a long time and has good Google ratings (for whatever that's worth). Have used them for service on other machines and they have been responsive, if not perfect. Seems like their primary business is lawn equipment, with tractors as a sideline.

Owner (also one of the mechanics judging by the grease under his fingernails) is generally very knowledgable about tractors...but I was surprised that he didn't seem to get why anyone would ask for a hydraulic top link, or for extra remotes. Also in our very mountainous area, he stated no one ever asked for filled tires and so they did not offer this service. Also, all of the new implements for sale were outside (not unusual I guess) but were extremely rusty, including the moving parts (pins and sliding bits for hooking them up).

Is any of this cause for concern? Next nearest dealer is over an hour away.

Thanks!

So if tractors are a side business for him now then your future tractor business will also be just a side job. What will change most likely nothing.
Not a confidence builder when making a sizeable investment.

My dealer is about 85 miles away. Hauling machine to dealer is rare; but when necessary they take care of the issues as quickly as possible.
So, I would not hesitate to visit other dealers within your hour radius drive and invest the time to get the feel of the dealer, shop area and inventory and service etc.
You know the stuff you're well familiar with already.
It would be a horrible time to 'buy' from this one local dealer and have buyers remorse soon thereafter. He may be great taking care of lawn equipment and that great but diagnostics on today's machines are not for the part time guy.

His quizzical reply to your questions is a big flag.
Your a very well informed property owner pretty awesome, keep us updated on this interesting venture.

/ Good Dealer? #9  
Well my concern was not necessarily how hard it would be for ME to fill a tire, but how alarming is the dealer's lack of familiarity with these common add-ons?:

1. hydraultic top link
2. extra remotes
3. filled tires

One last thing, lot was filled with 2017 shuttles, showing a little paint fade on some. Only one 2018 (HST). More are on order. Maybe he wanted to sell the old ones first, and shuttles didn't sell well here?

From your description, it sounds like they are small equipment oriented - as opposed to being a big Ag/heavy iron dealer. Depending on local preferences and bank accounts, these now popular options may not have come up much in the past if there is only light/hobby farming in the area. As long as they are an authorized dealer for the particular tractor line, they should have access to all the factory resources needed to support the tractor.

Personal history (of interaction) means a lot to me, so I'd first be inclined to work with somebody locally who I'd had good business dealings with. Any competent mechanic should be able to add hydraulics as desired - if it turns out they won't play ball/aren't interested, then you may have to move further afield.

Outside of warranty, you'll need an adequate truck/trailer to transport the tractor a distance for service - if you're new to all this, be aware that you may need more truck/trailer than you think. <- Perhaps old news to you, but worth repeating esp. if you are getting serious about buying from a distant dealer/brand. Depending on brand and warranty details, this transport issue might come up, even within the warranty period - I'd check transport coverage and on-site service policy before buying distantly....

Lastly, if you are new to larger (than lawn) tractors, don't be shy about asking for a demo on their lot before the sale. See how the controls are laid out - do they suit you ergonomically, does the seat have the adjustment range you need (hopefully vertical damping at minimum)....etc ? Get used to the transmission shift action, and anything else they'll let you play with tractor/implement wise. Ask where all the fluid service points are on the tractor - should be in the Owner's Manual, but never hurts to know early-on.

Rgds, D.

/ Good Dealer?
Thanks everyone.

Question: Do you have to service a new tractor where you bought it?