Good Impact Wrench for Working on Tractors

/ Good Impact Wrench for Working on Tractors #41  
I don't have one yet but that looks like a good one for me because I have some DeWalt 20V Max tools that use the same battery already. Thanks for the thread. It may be my next purchase. My cheap Harbor Freight quality 110V impact is starting to fall a bit short of my needs.
So far the highest torque fasteners I have on the tractor are some 600 pounders on the backhoe so this sentence "A max tightening torque of 700 ft-lbs and a max breakaway torque at 1,200 ft-lbs are numbers that you would expect from a 3/4″ impact wrench" do the deciding for me.
The breakaway torque could be construed as 1200 only if you stipulate that 500 of that is supplied by tension force acting on the down helix. It is more honestly stated as the torque necessary to loosen a nut that was tightened to 1200 ftlb -- roughly 600ftlb on a coarse thread. More near 700 on a fine thread. ... The impact torque full power is the same in each direction.
.... Some impacts provide throttle both directions. Unfortunately most only throttle the clockwise direction. Blame the non discerning consumer for that capability deficit.

I wonder what would happen if they used a left handed bolt. ... Same thing maybe. Ill check the down helix difference and post back.

OK. ... Heres what I did:

,,,1] Grade 8 bolt, 5/8 x 11 (coarse thread), 2" long with nut run about half way down,
2] Clamped bolt in a vise with nut top extending to just above the jaw,
,,,3] Put Grade 8 washer on the bolt/nut and ran another nut down on it clamping the washer,
4] Tightened the nut to 200ftlb with my clicker torque wrench,
,,,5] Reduced torque setting to 120 ftlb and set to lefthand drive -- nut loosened.
6] Retightened to 200 and tried to loosen at 90 - nope,
,,,7] Tried 100 - yep ... Retightened to 200,
8] Tried 90 - nope ... 95 - nope ... 97 Yep

... So coarse thread fresh tightened to 200 will loosen at about 50% of that. No lube used.
The 50% proportion should hold close for any torque.
larry

/ Good Impact Wrench for Working on Tractors #42  
A good tip for impact drivers is to use impact sockets and impact u joints only.

Or, just use tight ones.

Significant power can be lost in sloppy, worn sockets, and extensions.

I have seen the end of the anvil on the tool, where the socket fits on, being worn, causing a 15% loss of power, when testing.

/ Good Impact Wrench for Working on Tractors #43  
Or, just use tight ones.

Significant power can be lost in sloppy, worn sockets, and extensions.

I have seen the end of the anvil on the tool, where the socket fits on, being worn, causing a 15% loss of power, when testing.
Exactly. If your sockets are getting warm they are not tight enough. Energy is wasted making heat instead of turning that nut.

/ Good Impact Wrench for Working on Tractors #44  
....I dug out a test jig I made years ago and used it to flow qualify all the 1/4" coupler socket types I have. Here are the results:
The classic Milton [brass] coupler gave 78 psi.

The Milton composite push button safety release coupler gave 77 psi.

Three other Mfg unidentified copy/ clones of the Milton brass coupler gave pressures clustered tightly around 78.

As you can see, the best of these flow quite well in comparison to the legacy couplers.

I do have a 3/8" Milton I havnt tested. If you're interested I could adapt it and make a comparative test.
I wonder where Harbor Freight's "1/4 x 3/8" couplers would test on your rig. I measured the I.D. of its much larger bore and as I recall its cross-section was more than double the area compared to HF's standard brass 1/4" couplers. I haven't bought anything else after making that comparison.

Here's an excerpt from one of the product reviews:
These are knock-off of the Milton "P" style 1809 series plugs,...

the inner diameter of the male plugs is significantly larger than that of the Milton 1809 plug, which would equal "more air flow".
The Milton "P" style are the automotive industry standard and these fittings will work as well as if not better

Does anybody use these? Results?

/ Good Impact Wrench for Working on Tractors #45  
I wonder where Harbor Freight's "1/4 x 3/8" couplers would test on your rig. I measured the I.D. of its much larger bore and as I recall its cross-section was more than double the area compared to HF's standard brass 1/4" couplers. I haven't bought anything else after making that comparison.

Does anybody use these? Results?
Yes, Id test one if I had it. I would guess around 100psi in the test jig. The 50' hose would start affecting the results more at the anticipated higher flow. ... I am highly invested in the 1/4 Industry Standard plug though and havnt ever found it inadequate with the good couplers. A lot of the flow loss we see is the transition at the valve junction rather than through the orifice dia. The couplers where this is optimized account for the ~90 vs 78 difference in the 1/4 couplers I did. --

Still the larger coupler is bound to win out flow wise. It may be just the thing for you if youre starting out. Beyond size the main penalty is coupling and decoupling force - usually greater, and this adds up to unpleasantness with a lot of tool changes.

/ Good Impact Wrench for Working on Tractors #47  
1/4" and 3/8" hose size really hampers using a 3/4" pneumatic impact. You need 1/2" minimum.
Look at the charts of air pressure drop.
"Air pressure loss in standard power tool hoses"
Thanks for the chart. Im glad I have the test jig because it hilites a problem with knowing exactly what a standard hose is. ... Like what was the actual ID of the hoses they used? All hoses swell up differently under pressure. Mine - Goodyear 3/8 black rubber hoses purchased 10 or more years ago at HF measure nearly 1/2" under pressure. I you follow thru my test results and factor against the chart it indicates the chart is based on hoses that hold the nominal size. Altho my higher supply press reduces flow loss somewhat it appears my hoses act more like 1/2" hoses. ie - a 58psi loss thru 50' hose and coupler at 60^+ flow does not fit well for the 3/8 numbers.

... Yeah couplers are a real issue. Large ones flow well, but often enough will inhibit freedom of access if the large coupling is at the tool. ... A hose whip is one solution. Another is finding the highest performance small couplers. ... The Milton is a good coupler but Ive switched to others over time and finally came to a point that I wanted to test them all against one another.

- - At the time I was using a coupler from Lowes that was a bit difficult to disconnect. ... Its a Brass 1/4" "Universal" coupler that will accept Industry std shape or ARO shape plugs. I bought 5 from Lowes. It turns out that it is quite high flow for the Industry Standard shape.Thanks for the

I dug out a test jig I made years ago and used it to flow qualify all the 1/4" coupler socket types I have. Here are the results:

,,,All tests were done thru a 50 foot 3/8" air hose fed straight from a 60G tank at 150psi -- NO regulator or coupler at the tank. - The output of the hose was the 1/4" coupler socket mating with a 1/4" industry standard shape plug on the test jig. The jig was contrived so that there was no flow across the pressure gauge port.

The Lowes [brass] universal presented 92psi to the 0.215 open exhaust orifice of the jig. This means flow is somewhat above 60 CFM

,,,The Oetiker coupler [insert and swivel] provides a straight thru flow. Test jig flow pressure was 90psi.

The Prevost composite push button release coupler gave 88psi.

,,,The classic Milton [brass] coupler gave 78 psi.

The Milton composite push button safety release coupler gave 77 psi.

,,,Three other Mfg unidentified copy/ clones of the Milton brass coupler gave pressures clustered tightly around 78.

As you can see, the best of these flow quite well in comparison to the legacy couplers.

I am going to settle on the Prevost coupler for everyday use at the tool. - The Oetiker is slightly better flow but its swivel engagement and tool retention has given me trouble in the past. It is great for the wife though because couple/decouple do not require much strength.
,,, I will use my Lowes universal coupler sockets at wall and tank plug ins and for extensions where repetitive change is rare.
The Miltons et al will wait for requirements where only modest flow will ever be needed.

,,,,,,,,,,,,I do have a 3/8" Milton I havnt tested. If youre interested I could adapt it and make a comparative test.