Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #162,681  
Riptides, the milkhouse rocks. I'm sure it feels like a money pit now but you will have something really nice when you are done.
Bet that building sings a song inside when the winds picks up. Sure could put a lot of hay in there.
How high up could you stack it?

I guess all that hay would make good insulation in the winter. Are any cow barns heated?

Lou, I bet you know. Does temperature affect milk production? Just wondering if cold cows produce less milk
No fur to keep warm.

The perfect farm animal to keep warm is Popgadget's wife's alpacas. They wear their own coats all the time. High end outerwear...

/ Good morning!!!! #162,683  
Good Morning!!!! 43F @ 4:15AM. Rain likely. Potential for heavy rainfall. High 52F. Winds SE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 100%. Rainfall around a half an inch.
Rain on and off yesterday eventually accumulated to about 3/4". I didn't even get up to the box to get the mail.
Tomorrow looks dry, but the rest of the 10-day has rain in it.

Good to see the work finally underway, Mike. Hope the weather holds during the repair.

Spent most of the day in the office doing paperwork. Throwing out a few years worth of old receipts, photographing things damaged during the porch roof fiasco and tracking down replacement costs, and talking to the contractor about his $100k+ estimate for the repair. Holy smokes! He wasn't able to find matching roof tile, so that was a big part of the cost. He thinks he has to rebuild the chase for the woodstove pipe all the way to the foundation, too, or it'll just blow off again. Still no word from the insurance adjustor on her estimate.

I had set the HVAC to the usual 72F first thing in the morning, but by noon noticed the temps had dropped back into the high 60s. The thermostat, a "smart" Honeywell, said it was in heat mode, but the furnace wasn't coming on. Went up into the attic and found that the light up there was out, but it was just a burned out filament in the light bulb. While I was replacing it, the furnace finally came on. Didn't leave me with a good feeling, especially with the wood stove out of commission. I did photograph the stickers on the inside of the furnace access door, finding one of them with instructions for reading diagnostic codes. It seems back to normal this morning, but now I'll be paying closer attention.

Any of you ever use white sage to ward off evil spirits? Got some as a Christmas gift, and I think it's time to give it a try.

Happy Hump Day, folks...

/ Good morning!!!! #162,684  
Good morning! 62˚F heading to the 80s again, sunny with Southerly winds. Cold front hitting tonight bringing temps back in line tomorrow to the 50s.

Yesterday Morning was perfect for FireWise cedar removal among the oak trees.
All Three factors came in alignment:
Weather (Sunny 60-70˚)
People (19)
Self (Knee, Foot, OK - no physical problems)

Mostly, don't worry I m not planting any cedars in the yard.

Wife's house shoes are cured with the Flex Seal on the bottom of the soles and this week is the trial run. I did not get a crisp demarcation line because the shoes at the tape line were textured. Wife reports initial walk about was "Perfect", not slippery, no cracking or peeling, feels good.
IMG_1387.JPG

Last edited:
   / Good morning!!!! #162,685  
22 outside, upper 40's for today. Rain, maybe this evening, front moving through.

Lots going on now, meter pegged in the red line.

The roofers showed for the barn and promptly got about business.

View attachment 778760 Starting to take metal off.
View attachment 778759 Quarter way done on that side.
View attachment 778758 Inside view. Love the light.

Got some buildings that are coming down today, need to find new parking spaces for some equipment.

Priority today is a Pizza run for the crew.

Hope all have a great day.

Kyle, find a good ophthalmologist. Take precautions with your vision.

Buppies, feel better. Any ailing, along with him, hope you get better too.

Be safe today! As always.

Underside of the roof looks in great shape, and the metal is much better than any on dad’s buildings. I’d have a basketball court inside.

Looks just like one down the road from me.

/ Good morning!!!! #162,687  
Any of you ever use white sage to ward off evil spirits? Got some as a Christmas gift, and I think it's time to give it a try.
Don't open it. It's a California thing. Once opened you have to move to Texas - and we are full of Californians who did just that.:devilish:

/ Good morning!!!! #162,688  
Rip, Is that a lightening rod on top of the milk barn with a glass bulb?

/ Good morning!!!! #162,689  
40º going to 60º and sunny today. We get a few days to dry out and then about 3 days of rain coming again. All outdoor projects on hold. Neighbor called wanting me to dig her little pond bigger. I went over and looked at it. Gonna have to wait for things to dry out alittle before that can be done. The road looks like it needs more material. We are down to the clay again. When wet this ground just absorbs all the gravel, DG, and crushed concrete, we've placed on the road over the past 20 plus yrs.
Since the material goes into the clay there is no reclamation possible. We have to add more but I doubt my neighbors are going to want to spend any money with the current inflation. :confused: