Good "Tractor Boots"?

/ Good "Tractor Boots"? #1  

Anonymous Poster

Good \"Tractor Boots\"?

Howdy,

I'll admit, I'm new to the tractor scene. I was wondering if anybody has suggestions for the best "tractor boots." I saw a pair of "Cat" (Caterpillar) boots at WalMart. They look rugged, but wasn't sure if that is what will work good for me. I am in NC. Anybody have boots they "swear by"? Are steel toes they necessary. Rubber treads? Etc. Expert testimony welcomed.

Jackson

/ Good "Tractor Boots"? #2  
Re: Good \"Tractor Boots\"?

I finally had to pitch my favorite boots last month. Bought them in 1973 at the Rocky Boot outlet for 39.95. Ankle height, with square steel toes and a Vibram sole with very shallow tread so they didn't hold mud. A little heavy for serious hiking, but they made a lot of day trips all over the country. Lots of motorcycle riding, too. Perfect for the annual Labor Day pig roast, when we would stay up tending the fire til dawn (dew makes things a bit damp then). They were also my lawn mowing and "tractor" boots. Finally wore out the leather where it was sewed to the sole (which still had tread on it).

I started shopping for new boots last fall and finally ended up with some similar Wolverines. The tread is deeper than I like and I'm not sure how well the stamped speed lace hooks will hold up. $69.95 I was afraid to look at the higher end boots for fear what I would do to my checkbook. I need to replace my regular work boots real soon and I know my last Red Wings ran over $180.
The Caterpillar boots look pretty sturdy and I think they were reasonably priced. I just did not care for that bright yellow name tag. I would definitely get the steel toes and steel shanks. I feel you should have at least one pair for doing heavy work, or simply any place there are heavy items in the air.

/ Good "Tractor Boots"? #3  

When I jump on the tractor its either tennis shoes, rubber boots, work boots or deck shoes, but never bare feet the pedals hurt my feet to much like that. Its what your most comfortable in is what counts.

/ Good "Tractor Boots"? #4  

After the nail grows back on, most people buy steel toe work boots at least the second time around. After the laces wear out, you can get good leather laces that stay tied. About $70 is probably median for leather work boots that will protect your ankles and feet. Dickies and WallMart sell decent shoes as do most farm and ranch stores.

There are too many stories about guys in deck or tennis shoes around heavy equipment that I don't even want to talk about it /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

My Kubota seems pretty safe about where you put your feet. My Massey had a place that you could get your shoe caught between the floor board and the tire and that is really scarry.

/ Good "Tractor Boots"? #5  

I use steel toe and shank boots for almost everything, except spring mud. I got mine after I broke some toes by dropping something.

When we moved, my wife noticed the movers were wearing running shoes and asked about them. They said the boss discourages safety boots. It seems like if you have safety boots, you tend to lift things by getting an edge up and then resting it on your boot toes. If several people are lifting a heavy crate and one person puts their toes under the edge, the boots get crushed if the crate is dropped--steel toes and all. It's a real problem if you've got your foot in a crushed safety boot.

At least that's what was said. For all I know, maybe the real reason the boss liked running shoes is that safety boots make a mess in the house.
I do know I tend to rest heavy things on my toes, and I probably would tend to keep my toes more out of the way without the safety boots. However, I haven't crushed my feet with the boots, and I did break toes without them. Anyway, the thing to keep in mind is that they're for safely, not invincibility.

/ Good "Tractor Boots"? #6  

The best boots i ever owned were a pair of gore tex timberland hikers. I wear them all over, they are not steel toe but rugged and never leak plus keep my feet warm. I think they were about $100 new but worth every penny.

/ Good "Tractor Boots"? #7  

I bought a pair of redwings last fall and I love them... Steel toes and puncture resistent soles...I forget the "model" but they cost $165 which I didn't think was too bad for quality boots. I work for a construction company part-time on the weekends ("play" for a construction company is more like it - operating loaders/excavators/backhoes/etc /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif) so steel toes were an important factor for me.

/ Good "Tractor Boots"? #8  

I found it's hard to beat a set of Vietnam era USMC Jungle Boots from the local surplus store. They are tough, and have really good grip, especially in mucky stuff. You can usually get a decent price on them(less than $50). If they'll stand up to a Marine, they'll stand up for maost anybody just fine!

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ Good "Tractor Boots"? #9  

I'll agree with the others who said Redwings. They cost more than the others Wolverines, Cats, etc but have lasted much longer for me. I've had them all and have found the Redwings are also much more comfortable to wear. I'll NEVER buy any of the others again. It only cost twice as much (or so) to go first class and your feet will be much happier.
jeff_in_nc

/ Good "Tractor Boots"? #10  

I just got my tractor and it came with rubber boots. Small ones on the front and great big ones on the back. I did not opt for the steel toes as they seem to be reserved only for bulldozers or other tracked vehicles. While they have great traction, they really do chew up the lawn when mowing.
The rubber boots I got had a sole on them called Turf but there are others that you can get called Ag's or R4's. but they all seem to be made out of rubber.
I checked in my Wal-Mart but they didn't seem to carry any that I could look at.
Hope this little bit of information helps.
Dale
ps You didn't mean work shoes did you ???