Good way to record the location of gravity drain pipe

/ Good way to record the location of gravity drain pipe #21  
Ive done the measuring, taking pictures and filing for future reference on various projects.
Couldnt find it now ifn my life depended on it. Tracer wire is about the best option.

/ Good way to record the location of gravity drain pipe #22  
My 2" pressure discharge line from my septic pump tank to the pressure drain field is 170' long. It's buried at 4 feet. I have a large spike driven in the ground at every turn in the line. One at the outlet of the pump tank also. I can easily find the exact location of this line with my metal detector.

/ Good way to record the location of gravity drain pipe #23  
I have the locations of all underground lines near my home plotted on drawings where are included in the "Owner's Manual" for my home that I've written and printed out for the use of me and my future widow, and a future purchaser of the property. It also includes information on all the non-obvious systems inside the house.

/ Good way to record the location of gravity drain pipe #24  
Snip
TerryR
me and my future widow

I like that term, I just might borrow it someday.

/ Good way to record the location of gravity drain pipe #25  
I have the locations of all underground lines near my home plotted on drawings where are included in the "Owner's Manual" for my home that I've written and printed out for the use of me and my future widow, and a future purchaser of the property. It also includes information on all the non-obvious systems inside the house.

My condolences on your future demise.
I also thought of a home manual when I was gone a lot for work. May have to rethink the idea this winter.
If all the info was in a binder I probably would be able to keep up with it better.

/ Good way to record the location of gravity drain pipe #26  
Lot of good ideas presented. There is another option also. I don't know what it is called but it is some kind of tape/ribbon that you put in the trench after you start your back fill. It is placed maybe a foot below the surface or a foot above the item to be protected. The idea being as you are digging the backhoe drags up this marker first before you hit the line.

Doug in SW IA

/ Good way to record the location of gravity drain pipe #27  
The equipment to trace a wire left in the trench is going to just get cheaper and cheaper and more common in various shops over time. Easy to do and if needed (even next year) worth the effort.