Good well flow rate?

/ Good well flow rate? #21  
Yep... like they said, you hit pay dirt!

I too have a large well...but, to keep from bragging, I won't mention that it's 100gpm :p

Today, "now that I know what I know".... I would have at least contemplated putting two pumps down there. One pump down for residential use and perhaps another pump higher up for outdoor faucets & lawn things.

I don't know if that would even be allowed.. so it's merely me wishful thinking as I realize I am at most, pissing away 90 gallons per minute as my pump is rated for 10 (although I think I actually get closer to 20 if I recall)

I was told a 100gpm well could provide enough water for 12/15 homes.

During a drought that we had over the last couple years, I used my water to fill the tank on the trailer so that we could keep the blueberries and grapes watered.

What I find interesting is, my father in law gets something like 10/15 gpm (he lives two doors down). My wifes uncle (lives next door) has something like a 5 gpm... and we hit the mother load.

/ Good well flow rate? #22  
Currently we have a windmill pumping water from a 40' well. This is new property to us so we've been talking to our neighbor and he told us that the windmill has been operating for over 20years and it never has run out of water. We plan on using it to pump into a holding tank and then using a booster pump to get the water to the house. I still need to run the 1500' (give or take) water line. On a mild windy day I was getting about 1 - 2 gpm. The windmill is either a 6 or 8 ft. unit.

/ Good well flow rate? #24  
50 GPM = 3000 GP Hour = 72,000 Gallons per Day. The average home uses 3,000-10,000 gallons per month. I would say you have enough.

I could put a pump in that well that would pump 100+ GPM CTF.

/ Good well flow rate? #25  
I think we are greatly exaggerating real household water needs.

When we built our house our septic system was rated at 350 gallons per day, which works out to 0.25 gpm.

As much as we might like to water the garden, etc. our need is much less than 1 gpm.

Now with a low flow well, lots of storage is necessary, but anything more than my septic system will accept is enough if I have to cut back.

/ Good well flow rate? #26  
Our well was measured at 0.5 GPM, we drilled to 1,000 feet. We have been in the house for 6 years now, wash the cars, water the lawn occasionally, wash the mud off of my Kubota, 2 kids, a wife with 45 minute showers, I wash my boat when I get home from the ocean, etc. etc., never had a trace of a problem, last year was wicked dry, wells going dry all over, thankfully no issue for us

/ Good well flow rate? #27  
Ours was here when we got the place. I figure its about 3gpm. A toilet running all nite will have it sucking air. Its only 70 ft with static level about 30'. Best tasting water around tho, and never dries up even in the worst drought period that had all the well drillers busy and Town restaurants not serving water unless seriously requested. We were nervous about losing it. Underground channels can close up if run dry for long periods.
larry

/ Good well flow rate? #28  
I think we are greatly exaggerating real household water needs.

When we built our house our septic system was rated at 350 gallons per day, which works out to 0.25 gpm.

Best I can figure I do not think we use much more than 200-300 gallons a day and I think we are far less than that rate.

Our shower heads and sink faucet puts out 1 GPM. Even with 80 minutes of showers, four people at 20 minutes a person(Which does not happen), that is only 80 gallons. The dishwasher uses 10 gallons as does the clothes washer. So if we do a load of a dishes and three loads of clothes that is only 40 gallons. The toilets are 1.5 gallon flushes so even if we flushed 40 times a day that is only 60 gallons.

80 gallons of baths.
60 gallons flushed.
40 gallons to clean dishes and clothes.
5 gallons to drink and cook?
5 gallons to brush teeth and wash hands?

That is 190 gallons and I think it is a high number.

Last year we only had to water the garden twice.

I wish I could remember our water bill usage when we lived in the city. I do know it was at the lowest price tier especially after we got the front loading washer. That thing really lowered our water bill.

We are on the top of a small hill, maybe either 40 or 80 feet above the neighbors, and our well is 15 GPM. Most of the neighbors have 5 GPM and they are at about the same elevation. The one lot that is getting 30ish GPM has the lowest well in elevation but is somewhat near a wet area. Another well maybe 200-300 yards from the 30 GPM well only gets 5 GPM. You just never know what you will get to you drill. :)

Later,
Dan

/ Good well flow rate? #29  
A few years back my next door neighbor about 1/2 mile away had a well drilled and the crew got soaked because it erupted like an oil well gusher. They wanted to cap it because it was an uncontrollable artisian well they told the neighbor. He has a pond so he ended up letting the excess flow 24/7 into the pond. This was 10 years ago and now he is complaining about a sulphur taste.

My neighbor on the other side has multiple springs and the property is always wet and mushy, no buildings or well.

My property is about 100' higher than both of these properties and this or next year I will be drilling my well. I'm curious as to how it will perform and I hope it doesn't have the sulphur taste.

You know how they say to place the well uphill of the septic. This makes sense to me but how does one really know which way the below ground water is flowing? Maybe it doesn't matter? maybe there is no flow? I sure would like to know what's going on down there :confused:

/ Good well flow rate? #30  
In our area the wells go through bedrock and are at least 100 feet deep. Most that I know about are at 200-300 feet. I do not think it really matters that the septic is down hill from the well OTHER than if you had some sort of surface overflow that then went into the top of the well. Our code requires the well to be 100 feet away from any part of the septic system so this is not very likely.

Having said that, our well is uphill from the septic system. :D

I too would like to know what is going on down there. :D

Our water can get sulfury but it seems to be dependent on rain. If we get a large amount of rain over night or a long period of rain then it seems we will get a bit of sulfur smell in the water.

Later,
Dan