goose neck trailer hitch question

/ goose neck trailer hitch question #31  
it was a lil dark int he barn this am.. but looke dlike the tag said 15000#

soundguy

Yep, that is a big dog. F-350's of that era were around 12,500# to 13,000# if I remember correctly. You have a F-450 for sure.

Chris

/ goose neck trailer hitch question #32  
NO KIDDING!!

I rented a trencher once and the trailer was about 6 feet long. I couldn't see it behind my extended cab long bed truck, and there was just no backing that thing up.

I remember fondly the first time I backed a tractor trailer with a 50' trailer on it. I could put that thing anywhere I wanted it on the first try.

I hear ya. I used to hate backing up our old pull behind log splitter and the Jet Ski I had back in the 90's. By the time you saw it you were screwed.

Chris

/ goose neck trailer hitch question #33  
Yep, that is a big dog. F-350's of that era were around 12,500# to 13,000# if I remember correctly. You have a F-450 for sure.

Chris

yep.. door stickers and sheet metal plaques all indicate 450 as well as the title.

ins co had to insure it as a 350, but witht he correct vin.. as the 450 that came up on the vin was cab/chassie, and I had to explain that it had a bed and send in pics.. ;)

Good to hear It's got a heavier rear end.. makes me feel better and better about towing with it. :) I like that truck more and more every day.

I used to have ( still have but don't use ).. a 4x8 trailer for a lawnmower.. same deal.. up the creek by the time you saw it out the side mirror.

soundguy

/ goose neck trailer hitch question #34  
It is a f450.. but I don't actually know what rear it would have. I asked a local mechanic and he said it would be at least a 1 ton.. but didn't know anything from there.

it's a 99 f450 with 4.88 rear numbers on the door plate match the rear end tag I found on the pumpkin.. do you know how I can tell what rear it has?

thanks.

soundguy

If you check this link, it will decode your VIN and tell you which axle you have in the rear of your truck. I think the F-450 had a Dana 110, but not 100% sure.

VIN Number Decoder offer to you by Ford Trucks Enthusiasts | www.ford-trucks.com

/ goose neck trailer hitch question #35  
thanks

I forsee me running out to the barn at midnight when I get off work. :)

soundguy

/ goose neck trailer hitch question #36  
If you check this link, it will decode your VIN and tell you which axle you have in the rear of your truck. I think the F-450 had a Dana 110, but not 100% sure.

VIN Number Decoder offer to you by Ford Trucks Enthusiasts | www.ford-trucks.com

forgot I had my ins card in my wallet.

decoded it.. but didn't tell me anything.

IE.. said f450 drw, cab/chassie, 7.3l di turbo, airbags.. etc.. ford... usa.. class iv brakes and a seq # of E66647 ( not sure what that is..)

soundguy

/ goose neck trailer hitch question #37  
I had thought the VIN gave the axle info, but I guess the door tag is the one that has the codes listed.
The sequence number is the one that tells you when yours was built. Example A00001 would be the first one made for that model year.

/ goose neck trailer hitch question #38  
got ya.

I can get the axle code from the door.. then right/

anyone know how to decode it?

I already know it's a 4.88 rear as I read the codes from the door tag for that.. and then crawled under the truck to see what the tag on the rear end said ( it matched )..

soundguy

/ goose neck trailer hitch question #39  
got ya.

I can get the axle code from the door.. then right/

anyone know how to decode it?

I already know it's a 4.88 rear as I read the codes from the door tag for that.. and then crawled under the truck to see what the tag on the rear end said ( it matched )..

soundguy

On most Fords the axle code will be 2 digits. If its a letter first its Limited Slip. Example: D5 If its just 2 numbers its non LS. Example: 36

Take that info to the web and you can find the axle rating and gear ratio by using that code. Here are a few sites.

What is my Ford rear end ratio, do I have positraction - Drivetrain.com

Ford Axle Code Chart .: Articles

Chris

/ goose neck trailer hitch question #40  
thanks

soundguy