Gooseneck Questions

/ Gooseneck Questions #1  

tractorski

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 3510
I am looking at a new dodge 3500 club cab with a short box. One of my questions is if a gooseneck can be used with a short bed. My next questions is if when using a gn trailer, I can put the loader bucket on the flat deck that would be over the truck box. this would allow me to get a shorter trailer. Thanks for your help.

/ Gooseneck Questions #2  
I am looking at a new dodge 3500 club cab with a short box. One of my questions is if a gooseneck can be used with a short bed. My next questions is if when using a gn trailer, I can put the loader bucket on the flat deck that would be over the truck box. this would allow me to get a shorter trailer. Thanks for your help.

Yes and yes.

But why would you want a 1 ton truck with a 6' bed?

/ Gooseneck Questions #3  
But why would you want a 1 ton truck with a 6' bed?

Because driving a long box with a long cab is like driving a limo.

Yes and Yes. But I caution you on the shorter trailer. It may not be long enough to position the tractor to get proper balance between the tongue and axles. IE longer is typically better.

/ Gooseneck Questions #4  
I am with you on the short box. The only way I would own another long box would be on a regular cab truck. You can also fit it in your standard garage as you can not with a long box. As for the GN and bucket yes you can do it. The only issue you will have is with a 5th wheel camper or some GB trailers like box trailers. They can get into the back window of the truck in a hurry in a tight turn. For this they make a sliding 5th wheel hitch but nothing for the GN so be careful.

Chris

Last edited:
   / Gooseneck Questions #5  
Because driving a long box with a long cab is like driving a limo....

I am with you on the short box. The only way I would own another long box would be on a regular cab truck....
Chris

To each their own, I guess. I would never own another short box; I get way too much use out of an 8' pickup bed. On the other hand, I would be perfectly fine with a 6' flat bed. Go figure.

/ Gooseneck Questions #6  
   / Gooseneck Questions #7  
You can buy GN trailers with the extended king pin box already on them. Since short box trucks became so popular with the club cabs and 4 doors, the extended pin boxes have become plentiful.

/ Gooseneck Questions #8  
Yea, that is a option. The slider hitch for the 5th wheel hitch only is what I was talking about.

Chris