Got hit by electric fence.

/ Got hit by electric fence. #21  
Allright, allright, I'll confess mine. I used to enjoy grabbing fences to see how strong the jolt was when I was young. Well, recently I was making corner connections on my horse pasture tying the three hot wires together in multiple places to increase the voltage carried around the fence until I could bury the jumpers underneath the gates, well it was a warm day out and I got done crimping the wires but I was on the outside of the pasture next to the road. Of course thr shortest distance back to the barn was across the pasture. I had gloves on so I grabbed the top ground and middle hot wire to sneak through the fence, well my gloves must have been sweaty enough to conduct electric because I thought I blew my heart out through my chest. Talk about getting wacked and seeing things. I'm not 100% sure what size our fencer is but it's the biggest one tractor supply sells. Needless to say, I took the long way back around!

/ Got hit by electric fence. #22  
When I was a kid working on a farm, we used to test the electric fences all the time by touching the fence with a blade of grass in our fingers. You'd just get a slight tingle rather than the full hit.

That is the method I use after I lost a fancy tester off the RTV.

As long as we're telling stories, probably 10 years ago a buddy and myself were doing handy man type stuff for this crazy lady. (Not relevant to the story but I mean crazy!) He warned me the goat fence beside where we were working was very hot. I did the grass trick and then grabbed it and felt nothing, he again insisted it was very hot. At that point, for some unknown reason, while still holding the wire, I reach down and sink the claws of my framing hammer in to the ground. I'm pretty sure I fell back on my azz.

Last edited:
   / Got hit by electric fence.
I saw a couple of those videos on youtube looking for the holding onto the wire ones. None of those where very funny. The best where with the girls and one with a gay boy that was good. I don't know why, but there is something very entertaining in seeing a person put themselves into a position of getting hurt, then seeing it happen just like you know it will, and everyone laughing about it!!!

That is like the youtube videos with people putting on dog zap collar.

/ Got hit by electric fence.
We like deer. We like to watch them and also in our freezer. We feed them corn, place mineral blocks scattered around the property, plant tasty feedlots for them. But we are at war with them inside our fenced area. It took several iteration of the fence and good deal of money for the last version to keep them out.
Our son since he was about 5 was hanging with bunch of hunting buddies. One of them was telling us story (years later) on somebody birthday party how they shot a bird from the road and send Joe who was about six to get it. When he hopped out of the car one guy asked does he know that the fence is electric. Well he knows now was the answer. He never told mom when he came home.

/ Got hit by electric fence. #25  
We have a chain link fence with two lines of electric fence on the top. While fixing some erosion problem threatening to take our fence I touched one of the lines with my head and got 10000V hit. After I got hit I found myself somewhat disoriented laying in the mud. I clenched my teeth so hard that my jaw is still hurting. I have to tell you I feel sorry for the deer trying to get over.

Redneck,

I definitely feel your pain ! ! ! Same thing happened to me last week. I ducked to go through our gate and BANG ! ! ! ! ! It felt like someone had hit me in the head with a LARGE hammer. I didn't duck enough and it got me through the metal button on top of my cap. OUCH ! ! It hit me hard enough to knock the hearing aids out of my ears. When I came to, BOTH of our dogs were standing over me looking like they were saying "What happened?". I had a massive headache for about 4 days (FINALLY got rid of that), and the ringing in my ears (tinnitus) is now worse than it has been for several years.

REMEMBER TO DUCK LOWER THAN YOU THINK YOU NEED TO ! ! Best wishes, and I hope you feel better soon.

Dave

/ Got hit by electric fence. #26  
Use to have 8 to 10 pigs in the back pature behind house . Had 2 strands of wire about a foot apart , with first maybe 6" off the ground . Can't remember the exact brand , Red color , was rated some godly figure in miles . Anyway , after 4 years of no issue's , Before I went to get the little ones to start the yearly process , thought I would check out the fence since I seen the neighbors dogs just go through the fence without even a single yelp ???

Not using any brain's what so ever since I could not find my fence tester , I borrowed my Father in Laws electrical meter tester . At the time in the early '80's , this meter was $50+ , so it was a higher end brand . I shoved the ground probe into the ground and touched the red probe to the wire . Even with the meter set to the highest voltage ( 2000 )) , the meter needle jumped to max , back to zero , to max , to zero , to max , then there was this " Poof " noise right when I pulled the red probe off the wire . Never thought anything about it , Better half put it back in the box and returned it .

Called My Dad and he said to add a 2nd ground rod closer to fence , since it was kind of a dry year . Several months later My father in law tried to use his meter . NOTHING on any setting ? So he took it in to the electrical company he bought it from . They pulled the back off to check it out and ended up giving him a new one . Tech said there must of been some sort of short in the circuitry as it looked like it had burned a few things !! :confused3:

Told my Dad about it and He proceeded to tell Me that the fencer I had was some were in the range of 20,000 to 30,000 volts , ( only 2 of those old 1 amp car fuses in it ) but only 1 amp , thus the range it had . The pulsing I seen in the meter needle was the pulsing of the charger and that there was a big difference between 2000 volts and 20,000 volts . :ashamed: Who Knew !

I do know that the pigs would line up shoulder to shoulder and cruise the tree's and fence line for acorns , etc.. . That would work until they pushed the first pig into the fence . He would give out a small squeal , the pigs in the middle would kind of grunt , But that last pig on the inside would come off the ground with a chillin' squeal and hit the ground with his legs doing about 60 mph + .

Never been shocked in the head , ( Guess that could be why I have issue's :) ) , Hands , arms , legs . But imagine with even the small amperage that a fencer puts out , it cannot feel to good to get zapped in the noggin .

Fred H.

/ Got hit by electric fence. #27  
Redneck,

I definitely feel your pain ! ! ! Same thing happened to me last week. I ducked to go through our gate and BANG ! ! ! ! ! It felt like someone had hit me in the head with a LARGE hammer. I didn't duck enough and it got me through the metal button on top of my cap. OUCH ! !

REMEMBER TO DUCK LOWER THAN YOU THINK YOU NEED TO ! ! Best wishes, and I hope you feel better soon.

Dave

Well, look at the bright side: at least you weren't trying to step over that hot fence with a top wire just slightly higher than your inseam.

/ Got hit by electric fence. #28  
Have a few of these stories myself so big smile reading these. Had a somewhat unique one though. I grew up on poppin John (model A John Deere 50's model). Spent many an hour with the two row cultivator going through the chest high to me corn, I was about 12 years old when this happened. I had noticed the tractor would miss a pop once in a while and so soon noticed it was when a leaf would brush the exposed spark plug on the each side of the tractor. Stopped in middle of field to take a pee and after winning an argument with my dad a few days earlier that the fence would not shock if you you are not grounded. I reasoned then that standing on the platform of the tractor that I could just pee of the spark plug and not get hit. I was so smart. Well I got zapped two or three stucatto shots and mostly humbled. What had I missed. I knew all about electricity, I knew how to play the game, I had just studied a amature radio relay league manual and won an argument with my dad. What a idiot. The tractor was standing in contact with dozens of green corn, the tires weren't the end of the line.

/ Got hit by electric fence. #29  
And of course is was completing the circuit on the tractor, taking the place of the spark plug