Got moisture?

/ Got moisture? #11  
Yes, nearly all of it broke with a few exceptions that were thicker stems from shadier areas.
Checked moisture again last night and it generally seemed lower slightly, temps in the bales were a few degrees lower too.
If temperature in bales is steady to lowering I think your hay will be fine.

/ Got moisture? #12  
Neither of the 3 Delmhorst moisture testers that I owned lasted very long & they sure didn't have capability to measure hay temperature

/ Got moisture? #13  
Neither of the 3 Delmhorst moisture testers that I owned lasted very long & they sure didn't have capability to measure hay temperature
Interesting. Delmhorst has no issue warranting their test instruments. Mine is over 15 years old and other that not keeping a 9 volt battery in it when not in use, I've had no issues with it ever. Mine won't measure hay temperature either but my long probe analog thermometer will.

You must be pretty flush as Delmhorst's aren't a cheap date.

/ Got moisture? #14  
Interesting. Delmhorst has no issue warranting their test instruments. Mine is over 15 years old and other that not keeping a 9 volt battery in it when not in use, I've had no issues with it ever. Mine won't measure hay temperature either but my long probe analog thermometer will.

You must be pretty flush as Delmhorst's aren't a cheap date.
My neighbor gave me one that he did use. 1st one purchased lasted several yrs then quite operating. I sent it back for repair & it lasted a few yrs & stopped operating so I purchased a new tester & a few yrs later it quit operating so I just bale utilizing my 35 yrs of baling experience.

/ Got moisture? #15  
Congratulations on your first crop!

If it twist tested easy in the field you will likely be fine. I've rushed some hay with rain coming and 4x4 baled some that wasn't quite ready. Bales kept and cows ate it.

If you found a really damp one it could have been a green slug in the field. When I did more square bales it was easy to find the bale that had the bit of hay that was in the shade or the tedder missed.

I've never owned a moisture tester. I've done the "microwave" method for testing moisture, it requires nothing but a good digital kitchen scale & microwave.

I wrap most of my bales now, less headaches with weather and drying.

If wrapping:
20-40% is haylage
40-60% is round bale silage.

/ Got moisture? #16  
I will add if you are worried leave the bales in the field for a bit or place the bales in a wide open space that gets lots of wind and sun. Space the bales out so all sides can breathe.

/ Got moisture? #17  
My neighbor gave me one that he did use. 1st one purchased lasted several yrs then quite operating. I sent it back for repair & it lasted a few yrs & stopped operating so I purchased a new tester & a few yrs later it quit operating so I just bale utilizing my 35 yrs of baling experience.
Only time I actually use mine is monitoring the forage input to the round bailer via the slipper shoes. You have a different climate than we do up here however,