Rotary Cutter Got the Rotary Cutter & Mower!

/ Got the Rotary Cutter & Mower! #11  
Without getting into the organic vs. pesticide debate, be very careful using these sprays. Follow precautions on labels and don't spray on a windy day. Make sure you don't breath the stuff in, or get it on your skin. Also keep pets and livestock out of the area fror a while after spraying, if you can.Many pesticides are organo-phosphates which are nerve toxins, and are carcinogenic. They can do alot of damage to you. All you baby boomers like me will remember all the trouble agent orange caused, which was basically an extremely strong weed killer. I know we're all concerned about tractor safety, please be concerned about pesticide safety, too. This stuff can kill you too, it's just not as fast, but it can be more nasty!

/ Got the Rotary Cutter & Mower! #12  
Crossbow is 34.4 % 2,4-D and 16.5% Triclopyr (3,5,6-Trichloro-2-pyridinyloxyacetic acid) plus 49% kerosene (or other inert ingredients) see label and msds

Agent Orange was a 50-50 Mix of 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T (2,4,5-Trichlorophenoxyacetic acid) mixed with inert ingredients including kerosene.

2,4,5-T was removed from the market (if I remember correctly in the early 1970’s). Dioxin in trace amounts was produced along with the 2,4,5-T. Dioxin is not produced with triclopyr, so triclopyr was substituted for the 2,4,5-T in mixtures with 2,4-D. The health effects attributed to Agent Orange have not been see in cases of massive Dioxin exposure, so the connection to the dioxin is weak.

Crossbow is one of the closest pesticides to Agent Orange available today. If you have any doubt about the safety of Agent Orange-like compounds you may want to try Roundup first, if just for the piece of mind.

Roundup is Glyphosate see msds and label .

Glyphosate, 2,4-D and triclopyr all break down quickly in the soil. (These links have Pesticide Information Profiles from the Cooperative Extension Offices of Cornell University, Oregon State University, the University of Idaho, and the University of California at Davis and the Institute for Environmental Toxicology, Michigan State University.)

Both 2,4-D and Triclopyr are chlorinated organophosphates. 2,4-D does have nervous system effects and may have Mutagenic and Carcinogenic properties (studies are in conflict).
Glyphosate is an organophosphate and does not have reported Mutagenic, Carcinogenic, or nervious system effects.

Also see [url]http://infoventures.com/e-hlth/pestcide/pest-fac.html [/url] for pesticide information prepared for the Forest Service. Quotes for Glyphosate and 2,4-D make an interesting comparison:

Glyphosate
<font color=blue>Protective Precautions for Workers: Avoid contact with eyes, skin or clothing. Avoid breathing vapors or spray mist. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling.</font color=blue>

2,4-D
<font color=blue>Protective Precautions for Workers: 2,4-D is considered "highly toxic" due to its hazard to the eyes. Workers should wear goggles or a face shield, protective gloves, and protective clothing when handling 2,4-D products. Avoid breathing vapor or spray mist. Use a NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator for protection from pesticide mists. Under emergency conditions, workers should wear a positive-pressure self-contained breathing apparatus. When mixing or loading 2,4-D, workers should wear chemical-resistant gloves. Gloves should be washed with soap and water before removal. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Workers should wash thoroughly with soap and water before eating, drinking or using tobacco. Individuals with skin lesions, disease, or sensitivity should avoid contact with 2,4-D. No delay after spray has dried is necessary before workers can reenter the treated area. There is some uncertainty as to 2,4-D's reproductive and developmental effects. As a precaution, therefore, the Forest Service advises that female workers should not be employed in back-pack or hack-and-squirt applications of 2,4-D.</font color=blue>

I use Roundup regularly and would use Crossbow if absolutely necessary but would be extremely careful with it (respirator with an appropriate cartridge, disposable hooded coverall, etc..).

Ed

/ Got the Rotary Cutter & Mower! #13  
2-4D is the most common chemical used in the farming industry. Yes you MUST take caution when using any chemical. Roundup, however, will not even come close to knocking out brush like multi-flora, blackberry, etc. At best it just slows them down a little for a week or two.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Got the Rotary Cutter & Mower!
I just got back from Vegas (boy, that place has changed since my last visit in '79!) and am trying to catch up here.

Many thanks to everyone's contribution on this thread. I for one, will be very careful in my use of ANY pesticides or herbicides.

I just wanted to relay my experience from last Sat. I finally found a good chain with hooks and was really impressed with how easy it was to pull out small tree AND multiflora rose stumps. It's very time consuming and probably won't work for clearing a large area but could prove effective for people that catch these critters early, before they really multiply. Of course, I'm not sure how effective in the long term this will be.

Dave